Year 6 pupils

Posted 20th Mar
Anyone know what's going to happen with year 6 pupils if schools are closed until after the summer holidays my daughter is in year 6 and she hasn't like all pupils in her class hasn't had any transition to comprehensive school?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Not sure what the fuss is about - when I left P7 to go to secondary school, transition was a half day wander round the new school. None of this soending a week to learn how it'll be...
Edited by: "alg" 20th Mar
29 Comments
I'm in the same boat, it didn't dawn on me until last night that this could, potentially, be my sons last day in year 6, no transition period no sats not even a 'good bye' assembly
My lads away into school today with s Sharpie for his shirt!

Kids crying all over the playground, parents emotional wrecks and the teachers no better.

I think it will be each individual schools plans rather than a blanket.

Been told they will organise something for them at some point disco/party/meal depending on how things progress.

Obviously the teaching staff priority now is how to prepare a terms worth of lessons in a week.
wingmirror20/03/2020 10:49

I'm in the same boat, it didn't dawn on me until last night that this …I'm in the same boat, it didn't dawn on me until last night that this could, potentially, be my sons last day in year 6, no transition period no sats not even a 'good bye' assembly

I know it's hard enough leaving primary school but to not have any transition is going to be to hard for these kids
Ivor-NoReasonToCare20/03/2020 10:53

My lads away into school today with s Sharpie for his shirt!Kids crying …My lads away into school today with s Sharpie for his shirt!Kids crying all over the playground, parents emotional wrecks and the teachers no better.I think it will be each individual schools plans rather than a blanket.Been told they will organise something for them at some point disco/party/meal depending on how things progress. Obviously the teaching staff priority now is how to prepare a terms worth of lessons in a week.

Horrible situation it's hard for everyone my wife is a special needs teacher she's in next week helping with kids that's parents need work for NHS
knighty1YNWA20/03/2020 10:57

Horrible situation it's hard for everyone my wife is a special needs …Horrible situation it's hard for everyone my wife is a special needs teacher she's in next week helping with kids that's parents need work for NHS

Kids don't know whether to be over the moon at finishing early or cry that they're missing one of the biggest moments of their lives.

It's hard enough for mainstream education kids to transition, but those with additional support needs are really going to struggle with changes they just can't prepare for.

This is going to be hard on everyone. Fortunately my eldest is exams next year (high school) but doesn't mean this is any easier on them.

School of Mum & Dad is gonna be a struggle too, but we've all got to do our bit to support the NHS being able to actually cope with the volume of care required.
Not sure what the fuss is about - when I left P7 to go to secondary school, transition was a half day wander round the new school. None of this soending a week to learn how it'll be...
Edited by: "alg" 20th Mar
They need to toughen up and get on with it, I'm sure they will kids are pretty resilient, it's pushy parents that spoil them, parents put the pressure on the government to close schools without thinking of the bigger picture, they just need to deal with it now
Ivor-NoReasonToCare20/03/2020 11:05

Kids don't know whether to be over the moon at finishing early or cry that …Kids don't know whether to be over the moon at finishing early or cry that they're missing one of the biggest moments of their lives.It's hard enough for mainstream education kids to transition, but those with additional support needs are really going to struggle with changes they just can't prepare for.This is going to be hard on everyone. Fortunately my eldest is exams next year (high school) but doesn't mean this is any easier on them.School of Mum & Dad is gonna be a struggle too, but we've all got to do our bit to support the NHS being able to actually cope with the volume of care required.

Totally agree we all need to stay strong
ding20/03/2020 11:16

They need to toughen up and get on with it, I'm sure they will kids are …They need to toughen up and get on with it, I'm sure they will kids are pretty resilient, it's pushy parents that spoil them, parents put the pressure on the government to close schools without thinking of the bigger picture, they just need to deal with it now

Nobody wanted this to happen the kids didn't want it to happen it is what it is my wife's school is open helping parents who can't get child care
Forget year 7 ask how year 11 feel!
Must be very sad as they have booked expensive cars and dresses for prom !

They need to toughen up and get on with it, I'm sure they will kids are …They need to toughen up and get on with it, I'm sure they will kids are pretty resilient, it's pushy parents that spoil them, parents put the pressure on the government to close schools without thinking of the bigger picture, they just need to deal with it now

I hope with an attitude like that, you’re not in a position to influence any decision making! Schools have been closed as part of measures to try to help with the spread of this virus. It’s got nothing to do with pressure from ‘pushy parents’! This virus and the measures needed to help control it are something that hasn’t been experienced by anyone currently alive. I think the sooner people realise that the better in all honesty. There are some seriously tough times ahead, maybe not for you, but there will be for plenty...
Edited by: "Diggsy" 20th Mar
Misslovely20/03/2020 12:09

Forget year 7 ask how year 11 feel! Must be very sad as they have booked …Forget year 7 ask how year 11 feel! Must be very sad as they have booked expensive cars and dresses for prom !

Unfortunately a lot of Year 6, P7s do the same nowadays...
Misslovely20/03/2020 12:09

Forget year 7 ask how year 11 feel! Must be very sad as they have booked …Forget year 7 ask how year 11 feel! Must be very sad as they have booked expensive cars and dresses for prom !

I also have a year 11 child its cost us a fortune for the prom but obviously his health is more important
Diggsy20/03/2020 12:28

I hope with an attitude like that, you’re not in a position to influence a …I hope with an attitude like that, you’re not in a position to influence any decision making! Schools have been closed as part of measures to try to help with the spread of this virus. It’s got nothing to do with pressure from ‘pushy parents’! This virus and the measures needed to help control it are something that hasn’t been experienced by anyone currently alive. I think the sooner people realise that the better in all honesty. There are some seriously tough times ahead, maybe not for you, but there will be for plenty...

I get your point but it will only work if these children and their parents stick to the advice and stick to isolation or social distancing something tells me after a few days of driving their parents round the bend they will be allowed out to roam the streets and congregate in shopping centers to spread the virus
Edited by: "ding" 20th Mar
ding20/03/2020 12:52

I get your point but it will only work if these children and their parents …I get your point but it will only work if these children and their parents stick to the advice and stick to isolation or social distancing something tells me after a few days of driving their parents round the bend they will be allowed to spread the virus

I seriously hope that doesn’t happen, more so for the sake of the large amount of people who are within the ‘at risk’ bracket. It is genuinely scary times for them
Diggsy20/03/2020 12:54

I seriously hope that doesn’t happen, more so for the sake of the large a …I seriously hope that doesn’t happen, more so for the sake of the large amount of people who are within the ‘at risk’ bracket. It is genuinely scary times for them

Unlikely
3 people in my office at the moment have coughs, some have sick children/partners and still come to work.
My partners a teacher and lots are being sent to school with coughs or their siblings or parent are ill. Good job the schools are closing because selfish people don't care about others
emoji4720/03/2020 13:13

Unlikely3 people in my office at the moment have coughs, some have sick …Unlikely3 people in my office at the moment have coughs, some have sick children/partners and still come to work.My partners a teacher and lots are being sent to school with coughs or their siblings or parent are ill. Good job the schools are closing because selfish people don't care about others

School's are closing but teacher's still have to work my wife is a special needs teacher their school is staying open just in case any of the parents work for NHS or delivery drivers ambulance service for a few examples so is my daughter's school staying for the same reasons
knighty1YNWA20/03/2020 13:43

School's are closing but teacher's still have to work my wife is a special …School's are closing but teacher's still have to work my wife is a special needs teacher their school is staying open just in case any of the parents work for NHS or delivery drivers ambulance service for a few examples so is my daughter's school staying for the same reasons

Yes and some areas will have almost no pupils while others will be busy, but this removes a lot of the children of potentially selfish parents
Face it every kid is impacted. Some of the end of Nursery, primary, secondary has been imported from the US we can we’ll do without.

My kids will miss their meet their first teacher visits at nursery, ‘graduation’, last lower school disco etc. It knocked me a bit but it’s a mess for everyone.

Society will adapt and hopefully we all see that some frivolities pale into insignificance with the important facts of life.
Oneday7720/03/2020 14:26

Face it every kid is impacted. Some of the end of Nursery, primary, …Face it every kid is impacted. Some of the end of Nursery, primary, secondary has been imported from the US we can we’ll do without. My kids will miss their meet their first teacher visits at nursery, ‘graduation’, last lower school disco etc. It knocked me a bit but it’s a mess for everyone. Society will adapt and hopefully we all see that some frivolities pale into insignificance with the important facts of life.

Exactly.

It's hard no one is saying otherwise.

I've tried to put it my lad leaving primary school that, he may feel it's rubbish, and it's too quick...but it's so the he can help to save lives. This pandemic will change lives, people's reactions appear to be one side of the fence or the other. But the reality is schools are off and kids are home to save their own grandparents l, those of their friends, the teachers etc. Once put like that he was more accepting of the situation.
emoji4720/03/2020 13:51

Yes and some areas will have almost no pupils while others will be busy, …Yes and some areas will have almost no pupils while others will be busy, but this removes a lot of the children of potentially selfish parents

That's true
knighty1YNWA20/03/2020 10:57

Horrible situation it's hard for everyone my wife is a special needs …Horrible situation it's hard for everyone my wife is a special needs teacher she's in next week helping with kids that's parents need work for NHS

I think you’ll find most secondary schools now have “transition days” at the beginning of September where just the Year 7’s (and sometimes 11’s) are on site. This may possibly be extended to a few days rather than just one or two.
Curlyman8320/03/2020 19:27

I think you’ll find most secondary schools now have “transition days” at th …I think you’ll find most secondary schools now have “transition days” at the beginning of September where just the Year 7’s (and sometimes 11’s) are on site. This may possibly be extended to a few days rather than just one or two.

Thank you for that
Curlyman8320/03/2020 19:27

I think you’ll find most secondary schools now have “transition days” at th …I think you’ll find most secondary schools now have “transition days” at the beginning of September where just the Year 7’s (and sometimes 11’s) are on site. This may possibly be extended to a few days rather than just one or two.

That depends - where I live, the P7s spend a week experiencing 1st year life a few weeks before they break up at the end of June for the summer.
alg21/03/2020 11:52

That depends - where I live, the P7s spend a week experiencing 1st year …That depends - where I live, the P7s spend a week experiencing 1st year life a few weeks before they break up at the end of June for the summer.

You’ve misunderstood me...most schools provide transition days at the beginning of the year IN ADDITION to the now ubiquitous practice of bringing in the year 6’s for a week or so in July.

In the grand scheme of things, it won’t matter a jot. Kids are resilient and adaptable and I’m sure that, despite the minor discomfort, the overwhelming majority will be fine.
Curlyman8321/03/2020 11:55

You’ve misunderstood me...most schools provide transition days at the b …You’ve misunderstood me...most schools provide transition days at the beginning of the year IN ADDITION to the now ubiquitous practice of bringing in the year 6’s for a week or so in July.In the grand scheme of things, it won’t matter a jot. Kids are resilient and adaptable and I’m sure that, despite the minor discomfort, the overwhelming majority will be fine.

Maybe where you are - up here, the P7's finish for the summer. S1-5 move up to S2-6 after the exams finish at the end of May, and then they all start back on the same day in August. the only difference is that some of the S6 pupils may help them move between classes.
alg21/03/2020 12:14

Maybe where you are - up here, the P7's finish for the summer. S1-5 move …Maybe where you are - up here, the P7's finish for the summer. S1-5 move up to S2-6 after the exams finish at the end of May, and then they all start back on the same day in August. the only difference is that some of the S6 pupils may help them move between classes.

Yes, it’s pretty standard practice now for a lot of schools to accelerate year groups after the Whit break during exam season. I also thought it was endemic (and best practise, I might add) to start off year 7’s alone, first day back in Sept. I don’t know of a single school in our authority that doesn’t conform to this.
Curlyman8321/03/2020 12:20

Yes, it’s pretty standard practice now for a lot of schools to accelerate y …Yes, it’s pretty standard practice now for a lot of schools to accelerate year groups after the Whit break during exam season. I also thought it was endemic (and best practise, I might add) to start off year 7’s alone, first day back in Sept. I don’t know of a single school in our authority that doesn’t conform to this.

Where I can't think of any up here who do. It's just a different system. 😄

I found the bigger (biggest) picture is to close the schools, contrary to and in spite of, any parental pressure, because of an epidermiological inevitable: exponential rise in transmission of infection.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants