Found 11th Mar 2010
Do you see anything wrong with taking salon services (hair dressing & beauty ) ??

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
79 Comments

Banned

It's up to you and your mum.

Personally, I'd be disappointed if my daughter decided at 14 to be a hairdresser, but each to their own.

if thats what u want to do theres nothing at all wrong with it!
dont just take it as a cop out though cos its easy,i wasted alot of years hairdressing because it was easy and the careers adviser told me id never make the grades to be a nurse, im now nearly 30 and training to be a midwife x

by the year 2013,everyone in the world will be bald so this qualification wont be needed-the voices in my head told me this so it must be true:whistling:

FilthAndFurry;8080412

It's up to you and your mum.Personally, I'd be disappointed if my … It's up to you and your mum.Personally, I'd be disappointed if my daughter decided at 14 to be a hairdresser, but each to their own.

Hair doesn't stop growing in a recession.......a recession proof skill

FilthAndFurry;8080412

It's up to you and your mum.Personally, I'd be disappointed if my … It's up to you and your mum.Personally, I'd be disappointed if my daughter decided at 14 to be a hairdresser, but each to their own.

thats terrible to be disapointed in your own daughter for such a reason!!
and it is not het mothers choise it is her own choise, as a parent myself i am here to guide my children in the right direction , not to be disapointed in them for not choosing what i want

Original Poster

i did a taster course in year 8 and quite good at doing hair, soo its a possibilty and i would say its more up to me not my mum, although i will talk to her and get her opinion

If you have a passion for it, go for it a friend of a freind is a fantastic hairdresser she teaches it and does shows and stuff and is very well paid in her field

Original Poster

ilovepink;8080454

If you have a passion for it, go for it a friend of a freind is a … If you have a passion for it, go for it a friend of a freind is a fantastic hairdresser she teaches it and does shows and stuff and is very well paid in her field

Thats something i would consider doing in the future, so a GCSE in it would be helpful lol

Doesn't really matter tbh, i doubt they would pick you over anyone else if you did that course, they will most likley cover the same things in a college hair dressing course if you were to take one after you left Year 11. Which you would have to no doubt to get the proper qualification.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Unless you want to be a dentist.

Banned

glam-R;8080444

thats terrible to be disapointed in your own daughter for such a … thats terrible to be disapointed in your own daughter for such a reason!!and it is not het mothers choise it is her own choise, as a parent myself i am here to guide my children in the right direction , not to be disapointed in them for not choosing what i want

I don't think I'd want a 14 year old deciding on a career so early - they should be gaining a wide breath of knowledge, rather than focusing on a skill they could decide on later in life.

Original Poster

but then again if i fail in hair dressing and tr to get a job DOING SOMETHING with only 4 GCSE's but one of which isnt relevant to the job i might be a bit stuck, maybe i should leave hair dressing until college ??

[COLOR="Red"]Wow, serious lack of life ambitions ITT.[/COLOR]

Original Poster

The JFK;8080506

have you decided on yours yet ??

aah96;8080497

but then again if i fail in hair dressing and tr to get a job DOING … but then again if i fail in hair dressing and tr to get a job DOING SOMETHING with only 4 GCSE's but one of which isnt relevant to the job i might be a bit stuck, maybe i should leave hair dressing until college ??

[COLOR="Red"]If you only get 4 GCSEs there is something wrong with you.

GCSEs are the easiest exams you will ever do, they are seriously so, so easy.

Get GCSEs, go to Sixth Form, go to Uni.[/COLOR]

FilthAndFurry;8080491

I don't think I'd want a 14 year old deciding on a career so early - they … I don't think I'd want a 14 year old deciding on a career so early - they should be gaining a wide breath of knowledge, rather than focusing on a skill they could decide on later in life.

:thumbsup:

you wont get 4 gcses (im assuming you think you'll pass)
2 for english
1 maths
2/3 science

Original Poster

Nick_;8080554

you wont get 4 gcses (im assuming you think you'll pass)2 for english1 … you wont get 4 gcses (im assuming you think you'll pass)2 for english1 maths2/3 science

i might not pass but you get were im coming from ??

Banned

i personally think its best to get as many gcse subjects under your collar now, then once you leave school the world is your oyster, good luck

The JFK;8080506

Look at the time JFK..........Don't stay on here too long, you got to be up early for your paper round in the morning

Have you got some choice of BTEC to do, or is it all just just GCSEs?

The JFK;8080542

[COLOR="Red"]If you only get 4 GCSEs there is something wrong with … [COLOR="Red"]If you only get 4 GCSEs there is something wrong with you.GCSEs are the easiest exams you will ever do, they are seriously so, so easy.Get GCSEs, go to Sixth Form, go to Uni.[/COLOR]

Yeah, tell us when you do yours :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bassman_uk;8080598

Have you got some choice of BTEC to do, or is it all just just GCSEs?

btec ?? :?

Are you talking about a diploma...if so....AVOID!!!

All kids at our school do a BTEC First Diploma - worth 4 GCSE and takes 6 lessons a week. A lot of schools offer those qualifications, sounds like yours doesn't though, which is a shame.
It gives people a chance to do vocational qualifications.

Our results are fantastic as all kids can get 4 GCSEs just by passing the BTEC

bassman_uk;8080652

All kids at our school do a BTEC First Diploma - worth 4 GCSE and takes 6 … All kids at our school do a BTEC First Diploma - worth 4 GCSE and takes 6 lessons a week. A lot of schools offer those qualifications, sounds like yours doesn't though, which is a shame.It gives people a chance to do vocational qualifications. Our results are fantastic as all kids can get 4 GCSEs just by passing the BTEC

and then what does your school offer?

Original Poster

hrobo77;8080638

Are you talking about a diploma...if so....AVOID!!!

im not taking a diploma !!

hrobo77;8080674

and then what does your school offer?

BTEC Nationals :thumbsup:
A Levels :thumbsup:

Why knock a qualification when it works :thumbsup:

Banned

what are your predicted grades? as you seem to think you wont do well

bassman_uk;8080681

BTEC Nationals :thumbsup:A Levels :thumbsup:Why knock a qualification … BTEC Nationals :thumbsup:A Levels :thumbsup:Why knock a qualification when it works :thumbsup:

cause it doesn't. They are not recognised :x

Original Poster

sassie;8080696

what are your predicted grades?

no idea, havent been told anything like that yet

hrobo77;8080699

cause it doesn't. They are not recognised :x

Where have you heard that? They are QCA approved!

aah96;8080702

Have you had an options evening yet to talk to the teachers?

Banned

aah96;8080702

so why do you think you wont do well, they will know what you are predicted and you have years yet, start putting in the hard work now :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bassman_uk;8080712

Have you had an options evening yet to talk to the teachers?

yes we have i was given a booklet

bassman_uk;8080706

Where have you heard that? They are QCA approved!

So? There are very few decent qualifications that lead on from these....plus uni's don't recognise them and it's totally plagerised work. Bloody poster work and dictated essays! Just boosts a schools pass rate. aaarrrgghhh!!

aah96;8080725

yes we have i was given a booklet

My advice is to look at your option blocks, pick 2 or 3 out of each block that you are good at and interested in, then speak to the teachers of those subjects and ask what is involved and what you will have to do.

If you can, go and observe some of the lessons (if you can get out of lessons) so you can see exactly what they involve,

Don't pick something just because a mate picks it :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bassman_uk;8080745

My advice is to look at your option blocks, pick 2 or 3 out of each block … My advice is to look at your option blocks, pick 2 or 3 out of each block that you are good at and interested in, then speak to the teachers of those subjects and ask what is involved and what you will have to do.If you can, go and observe some of the lessons (if you can get out of lessons) so you can see exactly what they involve,Don't pick something just because a mate picks it :thumbsup:

none of my friends are taking it !

hrobo77;8080730

So? There are very few decent qualifications that lead on from … So? There are very few decent qualifications that lead on from these....plus uni's don't recognise them and it's totally plagerised work. Bloody poster work and dictated essays! Just boosts a schools pass rate. aaarrrgghhh!!

Where do Uni's not recognise them? Our kids have never had any problems with that - a Degree is a decent qualification, yes?

Its not all Poster work and essays - there are practical tasks, and from September 2010 it gets you look at the career path you can take with each BTEC you study.

They have actually moved on since the 90's :thumbsup:

You need to do something you think will make you happy.
No point doing something that you don't enjoy - it will be a long 2 years
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247596
    2. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…711
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769303
    4. New bladerunner1960

See more discussions