Yellow Fever Vaccination - Do I have to pay?

Found 29th Jun 2011
I need to get the Yellow Fever jab for my holiday, but have been told there is a fee of £63. I'm 18 and in full time education, do I not get everything for free on the NHS? I asked the nurse when I just booked the appointment and she didn't seem to think so...
Community Updates
MiscVaccine
21 Comments
This link might help
It does appear from the information given that you would have to pay for the yellow fever jab.
Edited by: "summerjoo" 29th Jun 2011
yeah summerjoo and the nurse are right you DO have to pay
Yellow Fever is a bitch on an injection. Have fun!
Great, ok. #poorstudent
emhaslam

Great, ok. #poorstudent

I am sure your holiday cost more :P
thrustmaster

I am sure your holiday cost more :P

Yeah, and all my moneys gone on that. Its a charity trip, and between me and my folks we've covered costs. Although I'm going to have to top up my fundraising too as I haven't quite reached my total
100% know that you DO have to pay - Yellow fever isnt a standard injection for this country and as only because you are going abroad - why should that be on the NHS?
I am afraid that if you can afford to go somewhere that you need a yellow fever jab for you can afford to pay for it.

PS - it hurts like hell too. Have fun!
Superdrug travel clinics do jabs,prices Here
You can sometimes get them cheaper if you are at uni eg.Universitsy of sheffield students can get the hab for £35 see Here
Prices vary so its best to shop around.
CoffeeMaker

it hurts like hell

Fantastic.
summerjoo

Superdrug travel clinics do jabs,prices HereYou can sometimes get them … Superdrug travel clinics do jabs,prices HereYou can sometimes get them cheaper if you are at uni eg.Universitsy of sheffield students can get the hab for £35 see HerePrices vary so its best to shop around.

Cheers. Unfortunately I'm not near any Superdrug clinics, and my uni is only a fiver or so cheaper so not worth a trip back
emhaslam

Yeah, and all my moneys gone on that. Its a charity trip, and between me … Yeah, and all my moneys gone on that. Its a charity trip, and between me and my folks we've covered costs. Although I'm going to have to top up my fundraising too as I haven't quite reached my total

Nice gesture
thrustmaster

Nice gesture

Cheers. You're more than welcome to sponsor me! I'm climbing Kili for Childreach.
you never know put up a charity thingie on here you might get a few more sponsers
How much have you raised? How much will Childreach actually gain from your trip?
Nailez

you never know put up a charity thingie on here you might get a few more … you never know put up a charity thingie on here you might get a few more sponsers

Not sure if I'm allowed to start a thread about it, but for any that are interested... *puppy dog eyes* link

dimebars

How much have you raised? How much will Childreach actually gain from … How much have you raised? How much will Childreach actually gain from your trip?

I've raised a little over £2000. I've paid a deposit of £250ish (not included in total), and parents have contributed £700 so that should be the vast majority of costs covered. I've got to raise a minimum of £2440 so I'll be making another contribution which will make sure all costs are covered. link
Nailez

you never know put up a charity thingie on here you might get a few more … you never know put up a charity thingie on here you might get a few more sponsers

dimebars

How much have you raised? How much will Childreach actually gain from … How much have you raised? How much will Childreach actually gain from your trip?

As it seems pretty genuine I don't think anyone will have a problem with the links
Will you be scaling the mountain all by yourself? Sounds pretty rough - I guess the vaccination may not be so bad after all!
Had this jab couple of years ago for our first Africa trip and it didnt hurt a bit so dont panic too much lol - good luck with your trip and with your fundraising I'm cycling through Central America for charity next year and really must get my butt into gear to make sure I reach my target before I go !

Have a lot of respect for you mate, well done for taking time to do something for a good cause. It's good to see someone with a bit of motivation.
I've donated £10 on your link, it's not much but hope it helps you towards your target.
Good luck!

Not sure if I'm allowed to start a thread about it, but for any that are … Not sure if I'm allowed to start a thread about it, but for any that are interested... *puppy dog eyes* link

Edited by: "callum84" 30th Jun 2011
callum84

Have a lot of respect for you mate, well done for taking time to do … Have a lot of respect for you mate, well done for taking time to do something for a good cause. It's good to see someone with a bit of motivation.I've donated £10 on your link, it's not much but hope it helps you towards your target.Good luck!

Thank you so much! Its much appreciated!

Ed
Op is a student, doesn't contribute a penny to the nhs and yet is going on holiday and wants the hardworking taxpayer to pay for him to have an injection to go to some exotic location.

You cheeky ****. Oh yeah, and I hope it doesn't hurt too much ;-)
jonny619447

Op is a student, doesn't contribute a penny to the nhs and yet is going … Op is a student, doesn't contribute a penny to the nhs and yet is going on holiday and wants the hardworking taxpayer to pay for him to have an injection to go to some exotic location.You cheeky ****. Oh yeah, and I hope it doesn't hurt too much ;-)

Haha. Its the last month of me having free prescriptions etc, before I turn 19. I don't mind paying something towards it £20/£30 would be reasonable, but £63 is extortionate. According to the Nurse there is a cost involved as you get a certificate with it. I hope its printed on gold leaf!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions