Yi cameras & google home hub

Posted 15th Dec 2018
Hi guys,

I was hoping someone has a solution for my problem which is driving me nuts

I bought a ring spotlight cam & google home hub on black friday so i could automatically watch if there was motion etc but didn't realise till after we'd installed the cam that it wasn't compatible with google grrr.

so... I bought a yi outdoor camera & yi dome camera because i have yeelights & i know 100% that the mi home app is working with google home.

It has been 2 days of messing around now & I've given up...
i have both cameras working on the yi home app but cannot connect them to the mi home app which enables me to use the cameras with the google home hub.
my mi home app region is set to Singapore as that was the best for my yeelight set up 3 years ago.
i have tried setting cameras up through every region on mi home app.

I hope someone has a solution

Oh BTW if you know a way to make The B@&dy ring cam work with google too I would be sooo happy x
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
The Yi Cameras don't work with anything just their own app.
There is custom firmware out there apparently that opens up FTP etc but not sure it still works as it's a few years old now.
stefromuk15/12/2018 13:46

The Yi Cameras don't work with anything just their own app.There is custom …The Yi Cameras don't work with anything just their own app.There is custom firmware out there apparently that opens up FTP etc but not sure it still works as it's a few years old now.

Oh no OK looks like i made another mistake haha i thought they would go on to the mi home app.
Thanks for your help looks like i got the home hub for nothing oops
lillyluvit15/12/2018 14:02

Oh no OK looks like i made another mistake haha i thought they would go on …Oh no OK looks like i made another mistake haha i thought they would go on to the mi home app.Thanks for your help looks like i got the home hub for nothing oops

Lol Mi and Yi are 2 different companies that's probably why.
These are a list of cameras that are supported.
support.google.com/goo…-GB
stefromuk15/12/2018 14:13

Lol Mi and Yi are 2 different companies that's probably why.These are a …Lol Mi and Yi are 2 different companies that's probably why.These are a list of cameras that are supported.https://support.google.com/googlehome/answer/9137164?hl=en-GB

Hey i know that haha
Online it says you connect to mi home app too to use with google alexa etc

36523576-CzLbi.jpg

lillyluvit2 h, 11 m ago

Hey i know that hahaOnline it says you connect to mi home app too to use …Hey i know that hahaOnline it says you connect to mi home app too to use with google alexa etc[Image]

You might as well Buy one of them then I think they are basically the same as the Yi cameras
My Xiaoyi Yi Smart camera is working fine with the Mi Home app, region set to China. I use my Yeelights with the yeelight app set to Singapore.
dcx_badass15/12/2018 23:28

My Xiaoyi Yi Smart camera is working fine with the Mi Home app, region set …My Xiaoyi Yi Smart camera is working fine with the Mi Home app, region set to China. I use my Yeelights with the yeelight app set to Singapore.

I tried all the regions and none will let me add the camera.
It's pi$$ing me off now,gonna give up haha
lillyluvit16/12/2018 16:51

I tried all the regions and none will let me add the camera.It's pi$$ing …I tried all the regions and none will let me add the camera.It's pi$$ing me off now,gonna give up haha

Odd, all fine here.

36543392-5EisF.jpg

dcx_badass3 h, 42 m ago

Odd, all fine here.[Image]

That's strange i can't get it sorted, it links up fine with yi app every time d'ya think it's because it's the dome & outdoor cameras?
lillyluvit16/12/2018 20:52

Is your camera from china?or uk?

China, but it's from before they region locked them.
dcx_badass16th Dec 2018

China, but it's from before they region locked them.

36548314-ju5dH.jpgMaybe mines locked to Europe then and there isn't a yi cam in the options for me to add mine FFS lol

Working on the same problem. I've got 2 YI camera on Mi already and wanted an outdoor one too.
But can't get it to pick up.
Easy to install custom firmware..?
RobertMellin-00413.3315027/12/2018 15:43

Working on the same problem. I've got 2 YI camera on Mi already and wanted …Working on the same problem. I've got 2 YI camera on Mi already and wanted an outdoor one too.But can't get it to pick up.Easy to install custom firmware..?

I never got mine sorted so can't help
Sorry
lillyluvit27/12/2018 22:56

I never got mine sorted so can't help Sorry

I've realised I was being a bit thick when I originally replied to your post lol.
I thought you were just confusing the cameras etc.
But now after getting a Google home hub I know what you mean.
Still can't help you though as I've tried adding mine to the Mi home app but without success.
It scans the code and says it's connected to the WiFi them times out (no matter what server or GHz WiFi I use)
My cameras are Yi home ones bought from Amazon so suspect it's region locked.
I might buy a spare to try and flash the custom firmware and see if it will add then.
stefromuk02/01/2019 10:22

I've realised I was being a bit thick when I originally replied to your …I've realised I was being a bit thick when I originally replied to your post lol.I thought you were just confusing the cameras etc.But now after getting a Google home hub I know what you mean.Still can't help you though as I've tried adding mine to the Mi home app but without success.It scans the code and says it's connected to the WiFi them times out (no matter what server or GHz WiFi I use)My cameras are Yi home ones bought from Amazon so suspect it's region locked.I might buy a spare to try and flash the custom firmware and see if it will add then.

Haha no worries
I have tried different things since but to no avail just gonna wait till (hopefully) google and ring sort themselves out & allow me to add my ring cam as that one seems to catch alot more movement which the yi cams miss.
Let me know if you find the answer though I'd love to get it sorted
lillyluvit02/01/2019 10:36

Haha no worries I have tried different things since but to no avail …Haha no worries I have tried different things since but to no avail just gonna wait till (hopefully) google and ring sort themselves out & allow me to add my ring cam as that one seems to catch alot more movement which the yi cams miss.Let me know if you find the answer though I'd love to get it sorted

Yeah I'm not sure ring will ever be on to be honest.
Ring are owned by Amazon now aren't they so they will only want the ring to work with the echo show.
I've noticed though that Xiaomi or Mi are actually doing smart doorbells now and they should work with the home hub but apparently are only working in China at the moment.
I've just thought actually I might create a hotspot on my tablet while connected to a Chinese VPN maybe it might allow it to connect then if I connect the camera to that hotspot :/
stefromuk02/01/2019 10:46

Yeah I'm not sure ring will ever be on to be honest.Ring are owned by …Yeah I'm not sure ring will ever be on to be honest.Ring are owned by Amazon now aren't they so they will only want the ring to work with the echo show.I've noticed though that Xiaomi or Mi are actually doing smart doorbells now and they should work with the home hub but apparently are only working in China at the moment.I've just thought actually I might create a hotspot on my tablet while connected to a Chinese VPN maybe it might allow it to connect then if I connect the camera to that hotspot :/

Yeah i saw that doorbell the other day but didn't buy it because of all the hassle I'm having with the mi app i was just gonna wait to see what the guys who did buy it say.
Let me know if you get your cams connected,I've got ipvanish but i wouldn't know how to use it to set cameras up haha
lillyluvit02/01/2019 10:54

Yeah i saw that doorbell the other day but didn't buy it because of all … Yeah i saw that doorbell the other day but didn't buy it because of all the hassle I'm having with the mi app i was just gonna wait to see what the guys who did buy it say.Let me know if you get your cams connected,I've got ipvanish but i wouldn't know how to use it to set cameras up haha

Yeah I will do.
How are you liking your Google home hub ?
My wife wasn't too impressed this morning with the alarm side of it.
Last night I found out I couldn't have a alarm go off with a radio station that's only in the US so I set a normal alarm which went off ok, but I pressed snooze and when it came back on afterwards there was no sound just the screen lit up
stefromuk02/01/2019 11:04

Yeah I will do.How are you liking your Google home hub ?My wife wasn't too …Yeah I will do.How are you liking your Google home hub ?My wife wasn't too impressed this morning with the alarm side of it.Last night I found out I couldn't have a alarm go off with a radio station that's only in the US so I set a normal alarm which went off ok, but I pressed snooze and when it came back on afterwards there was no sound just the screen lit up

To tell you the truth i replaced the regular google home with the hub just so i could instantly view cameras so it was a total waste of time really.
All i use it for is turning on and off lights, plugs & TV which the regular google home did.
Only other things extra is i can see photo slide shows too & i can use it to turn heating up and down/plugs on & off/ & lights etc via the screen but i wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it wouldn't work with cameras
lillyluvit02/01/2019 11:28

To tell you the truth i replaced the regular google home with the hub … To tell you the truth i replaced the regular google home with the hub just so i could instantly view cameras so it was a total waste of time really.All i use it for is turning on and off lights, plugs & TV which the regular google home did.Only other things extra is i can see photo slide shows too & i can use it to turn heating up and down/plugs on & off/ & lights etc via the screen but i wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it wouldn't work with cameras

You would probably be better off with a Echo show instead for your doorbell.
I've not been able to get my Hive thermostat to work properly with Alexa or Google it shows up but didn't do anything.
I think it may be conflicting though as I have it linked to my Smartthings hub.
If you're ever throwing the Google hub away I'll gladly take it ha ha
stefromuk02/01/2019 12:12

You would probably be better off with a Echo show instead for your …You would probably be better off with a Echo show instead for your doorbell.I've not been able to get my Hive thermostat to work properly with Alexa or Google it shows up but didn't do anything.I think it may be conflicting though as I have it linked to my Smartthings hub.If you're ever throwing the Google hub away I'll gladly take it ha ha

My hive heating works great with google hub n one day google n amazon will sort their S@#£T out so u can't have my hub just yet
lillyluvit02/01/2019 12:29

My hive heating works great with google hub n one day google n amazon will …My hive heating works great with google hub n one day google n amazon will sort their S@#£T out so u can't have my hub just yet

Just seen this on a Google home Facebook group.
Seems like it might be coming.
36731688-FBTf6.jpg
stefromuk02/01/2019 12:12

You would probably be better off with a Echo show instead for your …You would probably be better off with a Echo show instead for your doorbell.I've not been able to get my Hive thermostat to work properly with Alexa or Google it shows up but didn't do anything.I think it may be conflicting though as I have it linked to my Smartthings hub.If you're ever throwing the Google hub away I'll gladly take it ha ha

What problem are you experiencing with your Hive thermostat and Alexa?
Edited by: "OllieSt" 3rd Jan 2019
OllieSt03/01/2019 15:05

What problem are you experiencing with your Hive thermostat and Alexa?

No voice commands work with Alexa or Google.
Each app shows as me having 2 thermostats when I have one.
I have it integrated into Smartthings so when they scan for devices it detects the thermostat there and then it detects it separately on its own through the hive skills.
So I think there's a conflict somewhere.
To be honest I've not even tried properly to get it working
stefromuk03/01/2019 15:13

No voice commands work with Alexa or Google.Each app shows as me having 2 …No voice commands work with Alexa or Google.Each app shows as me having 2 thermostats when I have one.I have it integrated into Smartthings so when they scan for devices it detects the thermostat there and then it detects it separately on its own through the hive skills.So I think there's a conflict somewhere.To be honest I've not even tried properly to get it working

I just say ‘Alexa ask hive to boost the heating’.

Until I discovered I need to get Alexa to ask hive it didn’t work.
OllieSt9 m ago

I just say ‘Alexa ask hive to boost the heating’. Until I discovered I nee …I just say ‘Alexa ask hive to boost the heating’. Until I discovered I need to get Alexa to ask hive it didn’t work.

I'll have another look into it see where I've gone wrong cheers.
stefromuk4 h, 40 m ago

Just seen this on a Google home Facebook group.Seems like it might be … Just seen this on a Google home Facebook group.Seems like it might be coming.[Image]

Yeah i hope so that would be great
Nuts, I stumbled across this thread trying to get my Amazon bought Yi camera to work in Mi home in order for it to work with Google Home.

Guess I'll need to return it.
dcx_badass15/12/2018 23:28

My Xiaoyi Yi Smart camera is working fine with the Mi Home app, region set …My Xiaoyi Yi Smart camera is working fine with the Mi Home app, region set to China. I use my Yeelights with the yeelight app set to Singapore.

How did you do that as when I tried it you had to reset the lights for each app to initially connect to the apps. And everytime I reset it to set it up for the 2nd app, the 1st app would lose connection.

Might also try resetting my yi cams and adding them to the mi home app.
stefromuk03/01/2019 14:56

Just seen this on a Google home Facebook group.Seems like it might be … Just seen this on a Google home Facebook group.Seems like it might be coming.[Image]

This this ever get rolled out?
EN1GMA12/08/2019 13:26

This this ever get rolled out?

No not what I know about
EN1GMA12/08/2019 13:25

How did you do that as when I tried it you had to reset the lights for …How did you do that as when I tried it you had to reset the lights for each app to initially connect to the apps. And everytime I reset it to set it up for the 2nd app, the 1st app would lose connection.Might also try resetting my yi cams and adding them to the mi home app.

I only have my lights in the yeelight app, never added them to the Mi home app. Works fine.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 12th Aug 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants