Yi home camera USB extension cable.

Posted 3rd Dec
Hi everyone!
Just purchased Yi Home camera (not dom one)
Cable comes with camera is not long enough for where i want to locate the camera.
I need about 5-10 Mtrs cable, Anyone has any experiance on this or any remomandations please? Mu apritiated. thank oyu
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Power it by a power bank (Get a solar power one) and just plug it into that . Or if you have a usb socked on something near by , plug it into that .
KemCol03/12/2019 14:47

Power it by a power bank (Get a solar power one) and just plug it into …Power it by a power bank (Get a solar power one) and just plug it into that . Or if you have a usb socked on something near by , plug it into that .

Thanks. camera comes with 3 pin plug with USB slot. but the cable between Plug and camera is not long enough. Hope i am making sense! need longer cable. looking to put camera on window seal looking outdoor.
Edited by: "littel.helper" 3rd Dec
We bought a usb extension cable from Amazon for ours and worked no problem. Didn’t need it quite as long as yours but they do have ones that length.
MiniMissyMoo03/12/2019 15:05

We bought a usb extension cable from Amazon for ours and worked no …We bought a usb extension cable from Amazon for ours and worked no problem. Didn’t need it quite as long as yours but they do have ones that length.

Do you have link please?
Or details of cable you purchased?
TY
Any decent USB extension cable(s) will suffice, but note "decent" = reasonably large conductor cross-section to minimise votage drop. You might (or might not) get away with one or two of these £1.99 Amazon add-on items amazon.co.uk/dp/…26/ but it will cost a minimum £20 spend. Sometimes easier to a run mains extension cable to where you need it; can be a very low capacity mains extension (sub-3amps mains so could be a fairly discreet cable) as the cam's PSU draws less than 20Watts.
MiniMissyMoo03/12/2019 15:24

Sorry it was actually on eBay, we use this one and works fine …Sorry it was actually on eBay, we use this one and works fine https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264314470509

Thank you very much for your help
I use one of these for my YiDome camera outside.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1
StonkwellBogtrotter03/12/2019 16:54

I use one of these for my YiDome camera outside. …I use one of these for my YiDome camera outside. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B2HP3A2/ref=twister_B081RHTQPF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

No point in specifically selecting an active repeater cable when there is nothing to repeat in this application, but the DC power conductivity may be good with that cable, and it could be argued it should be at £13 a piece.
Yes that’s the kind you need
If the camera has any type of infrared, and you're pointing it out of a window, all you will see is the reflection of the window. Unless you can disable the IR lights it won't work when it get's dark.
USB is not ideally designed for transmitting power over long distances, a mains extension cable is more likely to work.
MiniMissyMoo03/12/2019 15:05

We bought a usb extension cable from Amazon for ours and worked no …We bought a usb extension cable from Amazon for ours and worked no problem. Didn’t need it quite as long as yours but they do have ones that length.

+1

Got this one: JuicEBitz® 5m 22AWG USB 2.0 Male to Female AM-AF High Speed Extension Data Charger Cable Lead (5m, White)
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 3rd Dec
Thank you everyone for helping.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions