Yikes!! Mouse in my Shed

Found 7th Jan 2013
Will start off by saying our washing machine, tumble dryer and chest freezer are in the shed outside. Its all insulated and concreted and plastered like a room, with electricity and water waste and taps build in.

Went in the other night and was standing there folding clothes that were in the tumble dryer so I could put the next load in from the washing machine. Was folding a pair of jeans when I heard a rustle. Thought that I had hit something as there is also garden chairs, a glass table (no room in house), tv boxes, daughters outside play toys, garden tools, a bag of compost and some birdseed. Anyway.... So kept folding away and heard another rustle and I knew I didn't hit anything that time so just stood still and listened and heard it again.

Chucked the rest of the clothes into the basket willy-nilly and flung the wet clothes in the tumble dryer, switched it on and ran! Did wonder if I was hearing things as had had 2 glasses of wine and it was windy outside.

So tonight went out to the shed and seen the little mouse and it scampered. Found its little nest behind the birdseed on top of the glass table. And I guess its been eating the birdseed. Minging!!!!

Also don't know if there is a hole somewhere in the shed (which I doubt as its concreted) but the front door to the shed doesn't close properly so that - more than likely - is the way it got in.

And don't know if there is more than one.

Do they usually come in groups or can there be the odd one?

What is the nicest way to kill the beast?? Most effective would be stand on it but not going to stand on my glass table for obvious reasons.

Going to bed as have to be up for work in 5 hours but would appreciate your helpful suggestions
Community Updates
MiscMouseShed
101 Comments
Put ITV3 on now!

Ps nothing to do with your thread.
Why kill it?

Humane traps its the same and you can use it again and again. Releasing it is nicer than killing and disposing of it.

Mice are everywhere, just get a humane trap.
Original Poster
GAVINLEWISHUKD

Put ITV3 on now! :|Ps nothing to do with your thread.

Awww wow! Loved this film as a kid! Never realized till recently that the seagull actually swears lol
Original Poster
See i was thinking humane traps but are they not mega expensive?
Mine was about £4
It's only in the shed, I had one in the house for weeks, it even emptied the traps on a number of occasions. Eventually the blighter let it's guard down and the trap flew with the corpse well over a foot. Felt a bit bad as it was only a tiny field mouse, but what can you do.
Oh and it worked too, they sell them on amazon.
They come in groups. They're called meeces.
pinkleponkle

Felt a bit bad as it was only a tiny field mouse, but what can you do.

Er... How about not kill it.

I never understand why people go to all the effort and hassle to kill wildlife when there are easier and kinder alternatives. I grew up in the countryside and learned to respect wildlife.
crazyblondechick

See i was thinking humane traps but are they not mega expensive?

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/GAVINLEWISHUKD/mouse_zps68b5a76b.jpg
It's there because of the food source

Takeaway any food source and it'll have to find another source - yes it might stay there and use your shed as it's home but if you get a mouse trap (humane or not) you will get rrid of this one but still attract others unless the food source is taken away IMHO
PP is right about the food source (seed) but the mouse may well have already taken some and stored it behind the washing machine (that's what our mouse did). Better to live catch it and let it go in a field somewhere.
Have you got any rat pesticides?

Have you tried boots?

For God's sake, I want to poison it, not kick it to death!
Banned
don't kill it. if you do I will hunt you down and come poison your pets
i found one today in my garage and 3 old nests

it will be mouseageddon tomora when i go and buy some traps, no food in my garage but it is nice and dry
don't get this below, they are very useless

[img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRg6lj84NmddHhCAC9nhfmu4Spk_OlDxQHBZ481uPawXGIpGQ53DpnRCvIDyg[/img]

you want one of these, £1 for 2 in pound land or world what ever it's called

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/353-503-thickbox/humane-mouse-trap.jpg
GAVINLEWISHUKD

i caught a mouse using a pound shop trap, thought it would be ok to put it in a deep bucket to remove it, it jumped straight on to the top and ran off

i don't believe a simple trap like that would work unless the bucket was extremely deep, it looks like there is oil or something in the bottom of the one you've posted, which would possibly work but still a bit cruel
If all else fails as a last resort try these instead of cheese.Guaranteed to work but perhaps not the nicest way to get rid of them.
Edited by: "Bully" 7th Jan 2013
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/79/Promax_mouse_trap.jpg/320px-Promax_mouse_trap.jpg

There you go
Banned
All that waffling. There's a mouse in my shed. Anyone recommend a humane trap.
One line. Didn't need your life story
DaveRushton

There you go

http://preview.turbosquid.com/Preview/Content_2009_07_14__02_49_19/Moulinex%20Mincer.01.jpgbc4a12d6-ddbe-46ab-91e7-d68693fe2d14Larger.jpg

Even better, mouse goes in the top, then you just put a bowl under the spout and it comes out, then you can release it....
aircanman

Even better, mouse goes in the top, then you just put a bowl under the … Even better, mouse goes in the top, then you just put a bowl under the spout and it comes out, then you can release it....

Not going to lie......I love that idea! Then sell it to a local restaurant
DaveRushton

Not going to lie......I love that idea! Then sell it to a local … Not going to lie......I love that idea! Then sell it to a local restaurant

Yes, they could call it mounce!
Original Poster
Some great suggestions there guys. Will take the food out before work and have a trip to b&q after work to see what they have got. Cheers
Original Poster
miss_piggy

All that waffling. There's a mouse in my shed. Anyone recommend a humane … All that waffling. There's a mouse in my shed. Anyone recommend a humane trap. One line. Didn't need your life story

Well why did you read it then newbie??
crazyblondechick

Some great suggestions there guys. Will take the food out before work and … Some great suggestions there guys. Will take the food out before work and have a trip to b&q after work to see what they have got. Cheers

Junior Hacksaw could do it also
What about one of these

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rh8b5t.jpg
Original Poster
Would love a cat but don't think the landlord would let us
Mark2111

What about one of these

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31613298.jpg
Mark2111

What about one of these

Our cats bring the damn things into our house, hate cats.
crazyblondechick

Would love a cat but don't think the landlord would let us

If you rent then exaggerate your mouse problem and tell landlord you have seen a lot of them and then it's their responsibility to get rid of them.
Banned
crazyblondechick

I thought maybe there would be an answer , ya know of how to get a mouse out of the shed. I learnt my lesson. All I know now is you fold towels when your drunk.
, what's me being new got to do with you being a waffling fool. Tell the mouse your life story, it'll leave before it dies of boredom
crazyblondechick

Miss piggy has a point,

Oh and as per the OP

tl;dr
I quite liked the scenario that the OP described. Sometimes it's nice to image the scene. A picture of the shed would have made the post, perfect.
miss_piggy

I thought maybe there would be an answer , ya know of how to get a mouse … I thought maybe there would be an answer , ya know of how to get a mouse out of the shed. I learnt my lesson. All I know now is you fold towels when your drunk., what's me being new got to do with you being a waffling fool. Tell the mouse your life story, it'll leave before it dies of boredom

inb4 'this is the last time I am posting on this site, I want my account closed, data removed and destroyed, fired into outer space'
miles136

i found one today in my garage and 3 old nestsit will be mouseageddon … i found one today in my garage and 3 old nestsit will be mouseageddon tomora when i go and buy some traps, no food in my garage but it is nice and dry

Doesnt really matter. They are looking for food and lodgings. Sounds like they have found lodgings. Maybe its getting its food as a takeaway from elsewhere.
If you are going to try to catch it yourself, you have already found out it likes the bird seed. They also love peanut butter.

Another option is that it could be a baby rat.
I tried one of the 'humane' traps when we found we had a mouse/mice in our garage (also seemed to be there for the bird seed) Caught a mouse in it, but unfortunately, it must have happened overnight, and by the time I checked on it the next day, the poor thing had got so panicked about being stuck in a trap that it had defecated and it had a heart attack! Would have been far less cruel to use a standard 'inhumane' trap as I felt terrible that the poor little mite had suffered such a terrible death!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants