Yorkshire.....

Found 9th Jul 2011
Any recommendations on places to visit apart from Dracula's landing spot?
Community Updates
Misc
34 Comments
Scarborough, York for the ghost walk & Leeds for nightlife.
Filey, Scarborough, Bridlington, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay, The list is endless!
Media museum, BFD, Industrial museum, BFD, Cartwright hall, BFD, roundhay park, LDS
whatsThePoint

visit the pudding factory

Got an address, food I can get interested in lol.

More specific... Can't really as i'm not sure of borders/area, have car willing to travel type thing. Going to be around the Whitby area though and if I lose interest i'll just drive to Scotland. York's already on the wifes list of places to visit.
dcx_badass

You know Scotland is about 3 hours North, and South Yorkshire is about 3 … You know Scotland is about 3 hours North, and South Yorkshire is about 3 hours South, it's a big area.One thing to do is avoid Bradford at all costs (unless you want to feel like you've visited the third world on a budget).

Just looked it up on Wiki, sounds just like the Medway area lol.

As I say though, not bothered how far i've got to drive if theres something worthwhile at the end of it:)

The wife likes old buildings and crap like that, i'd rather visit a museum devoted to engineering or something like that. Probably just end up lost on the moors though.
filey beach on a good day...........exellent!
Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or lightwater Valley (I prefer Flamingoland). If you have kids then worth a visit to the John Bull sweet factory. Scarborough is worth a visit as well.
bluebindy123

Filey, Scarborough, Bridlington, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay, … Filey, Scarborough, Bridlington, Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay, Runswick Bay, The list is endless!

That place sounds interesting.
i would avoid the place altogether it's full of northerners with whippets
[quote=blowbrown]Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or lightwater Valley (I prefer Flamingoland). If you have kids then worth a visit to the John Bull sweet factory. Scarborough is worth a visit as well.

The Scarborough Evening News has half price vouchers for Flamingoland at the moment.
bluebindy123

[quote=blowbrown]Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or … [quote=blowbrown]Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or lightwater Valley (I prefer Flamingoland). If you have kids then worth a visit to the John Bull sweet factory. Scarborough is worth a visit as well.The Scarborough Evening News has half price vouchers for Flamingoland at the moment.

Really thats a bargain, the never have vouchers out. Do they have an expiry date?

also op how about

Forbidden corner

I always enjoy york the railway museum is interesting, and the cobbles ( a bunch of alleys with little independent shops) is cute

when at whitby, make a little glass duck.

There is robin hoods bay...great winkling

Beamish

Edited by: "skellysgirl" 9th Jul 2011
Flamingoland half price tickets dated till 15th July only.
skellysgirl

Really thats a bargain, the never have vouchers out. Do they have an … Really thats a bargain, the never have vouchers out. Do they have an expiry date?also op how about Forbidden cornerI always enjoy york the railway museum is interesting, and the cobbles ( a bunch of alleys with little independent shops) is cutewhen at whitby, make a little glass duck.There is robin hoods bay...great winkling Beamish

Definitely adding Forbidden Corner to my list. I do like unusual things
jayjayuk1234

i would avoid the place altogether it's full of northerners with whippets … i would avoid the place altogether it's full of northerners with whippets

HOW RUDE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN THEN!
Be careful at forbidden corner, my daughter was about 3 or 4 when we went. There was a tunnel, she went running ahead, but it gets smaller, she was off through it, the was a person in front of me who got stuck and i couldn't get through the hole after her. Luckily my son was with he and held on to her
bluebindy123

[quote=blowbrown]Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or … [quote=blowbrown]Flamingoland if you like theme parks and zoos. Or lightwater Valley (I prefer Flamingoland). If you have kids then worth a visit to the John Bull sweet factory. Scarborough is worth a visit as well.The Scarborough Evening News has half price vouchers for Flamingoland at the moment.

I'd imagine from the name it's a daily, so was that a one off or are they running it regularly?
Edited by: "Shengis" 9th Jul 2011
Shengis

I'd imagine from the name it's a daily, so was that a one off or are they … I'd imagine from the name it's a daily, so was that a one off or are they running it regularly?

Saturday Scarborough Evening News only I think. They only usually do these near the end of the season only.
bluebindy123

Saturday Scarborough Evening News only I think. They only usually do … Saturday Scarborough Evening News only I think. They only usually do these near the end of the season only.

Bin diving it is then X)
Yorkshire Sculpture Park ysp.co.uk/
Shengis

The wife likes old buildings and crap like that, i'd rather visit a … The wife likes old buildings and crap like that, i'd rather visit a museum devoted to engineering or something like that.

How about the industrial museum bradfordmuseums.org/ven…php
and whilst in Bradford the Mogul Gardens in Lister Park (about half mile from the riots) are worth a visit
Railway Museum is a must if you like engineering and there is Elvington Air Museum in the outskirts of York and if you like prisoner of war camps there is Eden Camp
Edited by: "gari189" 9th Jul 2011
Get out and about in the peak district

avoid Bradford for obvious reasons
I used to love going to bradford as a kid, as we mainly went to the national musueum of film, photography and television, and then to the Kashmire for chipati chip butties, lol... such classy kids me and my sister were, lol.

I may have to book a trip to Whitby soon, as I haven't been since I was a kid.
The Scarborough visitors guide ( Im sure that was it's name) used to have bogof and half price vouchers for a lot of the attractions, including Flamingoland. The guide cost around £1.50, but will save you a fortune.

tug boat

HOW RUDE YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN THEN!

I've never been to America, but I know its full of dumbasses.
boothy

Also steer clear of Sheffield for this ^ reason
skellysgirl

also op how about Forbidden corner

We went there few years back (husband has to go back every few years to top up his accent!) - that place is fantastic - the kids were about 15 and 10 at the time and it kept both of them interested for a good few hours, but it is very much a place for all ages (not sure about wheeled access though?)
blowbrown

The Scarborough visitors guide ( Im sure that was it's name) used to … The Scarborough visitors guide ( Im sure that was it's name) used to have bogof and half price vouchers for a lot of the attractions, including Flamingoland. The guide cost around £1.50, but will save you a fortune.

For the last few years only 3 for 2 vouchers for Flamingoland unfortunately.
Star radio have offers for half price days out, at the mo there are a few for the yorkshire area and flamingoland are coming soon again according to their site ( was on offer this week half price entry for 2 adults and 2 kids which is £47.50 ).
http://www.thisisstar.co.uk/vp/vouchers/-/half-price-days-out/

I'm on the lookout for 3 for 2 for flamingoland if anyone has any or knows of any, my girls are both under 2 so can go in for free so would have to pay for 3 adults as my son is 18.
Edited by: "wishihadadonkey" 10th Jul 2011
For the record, the Media museum really is stunning and on the edge/entry to the city - of what hasn't been demolished, anyway - near the library.

It attracts visitors daily and really is an eye opener.

The industral museum is on the edge - in Undercliffe - where there are few of 'THEM' . .

Also, Royal Armouries in Leeds and the docklands with Yorkshire's own 'Multrees Walk' - albeit vacant.
Cheers folks for all the ideas. I'm on my way up lol.
from ?
If you're there this week coming the Great Yorkshire show is on in Harrogate Tue 12th, Wed 13th and Thurs 14th. It is one of the premier agricultural shows in the country and an amazing day out if you've never been. There's loads for kids to do, not just farming orientated but beware that the traffic in the whole surrounding area is a nightmare when the show is on! I'm there for the 3 days so can give you plenty of pointers if interested.
York Railway museum is great and also free.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants