Yorkshire puddings with self raising flour?

Posted 2nd May
The only flour I’ve ever used for Yorkshire pudding is plain flour however I can’t get hold of this anywhere!

I have a bag of self-raising. Does anyone use this for Yorkshire puddings?

I’d give it a go but I don’t want to waste my eggs if it won’t work
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
Not used it personally but can't see any reason why not. Maybe just end up with bigger Yorkshire's which isn't a bad thing
You wouldn't really be wasting the eggs by trying, they'd still be perfectly edible and taste pretty much the same, they just wouldn't look much like yorkshire puddings.
They just won’t rise as much but will be edible
They’ll work fine, have used as a substitute a few times before
Arto02/05/2020 16:26

They just won’t rise as much but will be edible

Are you sure? I would have thought they would rise more?
We had same issue but they were great!
Willy_Wonka02/05/2020 16:32

Are you sure? I would have thought they would rise more?

No tried it before don’t rise as much
You will be 100% fine about rise. Here is one using self-raising flour, it is huge. Use this recipe for self-raising flour
aglugofoil.com/201…tml

*** If no rise, the temperature is the main issue, so pay attention to 220C/425F or Gas 7

Picture source, from above link. I had eaten such huge ones, they are ridiculous funny on the table.
40615873-1oL0S.jpg
Edited by: "splender" 2nd May
MichyM02/05/2020 16:25

Not used it personally but can't see any reason why not. Maybe just end up …Not used it personally but can't see any reason why not. Maybe just end up with bigger Yorkshire's which isn't a bad thing

That’s what I thought
Well I've used strong flour often and that's been fine. Sure I've used self raising at some point too
We’ve used self raising for the last couple of roasts. As has been said taste is pretty much the same but don’t rise as well.
StokeMeAClipper02/05/2020 17:31

We’ve used self raising for the last couple of roasts. As has been said t …We’ve used self raising for the last couple of roasts. As has been said taste is pretty much the same but don’t rise as well.

I have just read that mixing it with sparkling water helps that. Apparently
It won't works, it will be like a cupcake then sink.
Try your local co op thats where i managed to get flour from when the big stores have empty shelves
Edited by: "ding" 3rd May
i'm a coeliac but my mate cooked some using cornflour when i popped round unexpected one sunday, they tasted fine to me so think the technique is more important
ding02/05/2020 17:56

Try your local co op thats where i managed to get flower from when the bid …Try your local co op thats where i managed to get flower from when the bid stores have empty shelves

I always thought the co-op was a bid store, there always seems to be plenty of them in the queue.
You can but you need to use a little less flour and then it shouldn’t affect the rising too much.
When I’ve made them in the past using self raising by mistake they were always flat as a pancake.
XSerenityX03/05/2020 09:04

You can but you need to use a little less flour and then it shouldn’t a …You can but you need to use a little less flour and then it shouldn’t affect the rising too much.

Thank you I’ll try that if I can’t find any
haven't made any with sr flour but do recommend a silicon tray to bake em in. pop out a dream...I'd never go back to buying shop bought now I've started doing em at home. they come out absolutely MASSIVE! eat your heart out aunt bessie. OP, if you do end up making with SRF please do post a pic of them on here (would like to see the end result)
samwants2save03/05/2020 13:02

haven't made any with sr flour but do recommend a silicon tray to bake em …haven't made any with sr flour but do recommend a silicon tray to bake em in. pop out a dream...I'd never go back to buying shop bought now I've started doing em at home. they come out absolutely MASSIVE! eat your heart out aunt bessie. OP, if you do end up making with SRF please do post a pic of them on here (would like to see the end result)

Good idea with silicon moulds! What’s your recipe? I will do it it’s not an embarrassment haha.
Lauraaa03/05/2020 13:49

Good idea with silicon moulds! What’s your recipe? I will do it it’s not an …Good idea with silicon moulds! What’s your recipe? I will do it it’s not an embarrassment haha.

pretty sure the recipe is one of the top results in google..140g flour one.

heres mine from the other week, bloomin big beggars, the lot ov'em!

40640933.jpg
bbcgoodfood.com/rec…ngs
Edited by: "samwants2save" 11th May
samwants2save05/05/2020 01:18

pretty sure the recipe is one of the top results in google..120g flour …pretty sure the recipe is one of the top results in google..120g flour one. will check in a moheres mine from the other week, bloomin big beggars, the lot ov'em![Image]

Wow they look lovely!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions