Groups

You couldn't make it up! Government spends £29,000,000 on building that never got built.

Banned
    Shelved asylum centre cost £29m

The Home Office has been criticised by a group of MPs for spending £29m on an asylum accommodation centre which was never even built.

8 Comments

Original Poster Banned

Just why don't people get sacked over this kind of incompetence? Or even arrested for misuse of public funds?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

so where did the money go?

edit - ah link now added.

This is typical of the government (and local councils). Waste money as much as possible.

Original Poster Banned

What is the point of the national audit office. all they do is complain about gross over expenditure but nothing ever gets done about.

Just wait for the ID card system. my estimate is £20,000,000,000 at least.

and it wont work properly :x

Original Poster Banned

Predikuesi;2296980

This is typical of the government (and local councils). Waste money as … This is typical of the government (and local councils). Waste money as much as possible.

Yep, my local council is installing a disabled toilet, path and water supply into a very small local allotment at a cost of £80K just because one disabled guy complained there wasnt disabled access.

He doesnt even want to use the allotment either!

Banned

csiman;2296955

Just why don't people get sacked over this kind of incompetence? Or even … Just why don't people get sacked over this kind of incompetence? Or even arrested for misuse of public funds?

100% agree.They probably got a pay rise and promotion though.... which makes you wonder what sort of catastrophic clangers did the current batch of CEOs make to get them in their current roles!!!

Well I'm glad they didn't build it tbh, since I live about 15 miles from there.

Original Poster Banned

Kick;2299558

Well I'm glad they didn't build it tbh, since I live about 15 miles from … Well I'm glad they didn't build it tbh, since I live about 15 miles from there.

Fair enough but why spend £29 Million pounds before the planning was approved?

If this was in a private business, they'd go under or heads would roll.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892630
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial79
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764335
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1016

See more discussions