Groups

Young Driver (Age 17) Insurance Options?

I'm 17 and have my driving test tomorrow, I've been looking everywhere for car insurance and the cheapest quotes I can find with a black box is £2000 a year.

I also recently discovered Marmalade which is a place to lease cars for age 17-24. I can acquire a car for around £200 a month.

I'm unsure what I should do? £2000 a year insurance for a car barely worth £500 doesn't seem logical to do.

26 Comments

My Daughter brought a Mini Sport @ 19 and what i did was have me as a named driver for the car , it brought the insurance down too £950 fully comprehensive from £1600, i have never driven the car and never will as i have my own car . try it and see if it works for you ..

Original Poster

scaffolder

My Daughter brought a Mini Sport @ 19 and what i did was have me as a … My Daughter brought a Mini Sport @ 19 and what i did was have me as a named driver for the car , it brought the insurance down too £950 fully comprehensive from £1600, i have never driven the car and never will as i have my own car . try it and see if it works for you ..

Thanks for the response. All my quotes have been with my Dad as the named driver with 25+ years experience yet the insurance was still so high on every comparision site I tried. The cheapest I got it down to was £1800 a year for a 12 year old car.

I'm afraid to say no kids so no idea anymore about the market for young insurers. When I was your age myself it was in the days of free insurance deals on new cars and also living in N.Ireland where at the time the insurance market was silly prices over here. I effectively did as you suggested and bought a Citroen Saxo VTR with 3 years free insurance on a PCP deal (with zero ideas of ever paying the end balloon payment). After that bought another car with two years free keeping the same £210 per month payments, by the time I ever had to buy my own insurance I had 5 years no claims built up and was able to get insurance on my own for £450-£500. As you said it was the logical thing to do by the time you bought a car sub £1K and paid the daft insurance prices per month, adding in any unknowns with regards to MOT/Servicing/Breakdowns etc in an old car it really was a no brainer.

Edit: Forgot to say budget in for yourself putting away that little extra for servicing costs and tyres on the new car also, roughly £280 per year keeps you covered for both (or if you can purchase servicing plan with car also). Another aspect of a new car that if something happens they fix and give you loan car if it be off for a while. No hassle worrying if your old car might let you down or give you an unbudgeted repair bill.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 12th Aug 2016

Original Poster

lju

Try these http://quick-sure.com/

Just tried that website and it advises me that I'm too young to insure - thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Jennings9

Thanks for the response. All my quotes have been with my Dad as the named … Thanks for the response. All my quotes have been with my Dad as the named driver with 25+ years experience yet the insurance was still so high on every comparision site I tried. The cheapest I got it down to was £1800 a year for a 12 year old car.

This is Fronting and it's illegal. Thats all i'm sayin

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

I'm afraid to say no kids so no idea anymore about the market for young … I'm afraid to say no kids so no idea anymore about the market for young insurers. When I was your age myself it was in the days of free insurance deals on new cars and also living in N.Ireland where at the time the insurance market was silly prices over here. I effectively did as you suggested and bought a Citroen Saxo VTR with 3 years free insurance on a PCP deal (with zero ideas of ever paying the end balloon payment). After that bought another car with two years free keeping the same £210 per month payments, by the time I ever had to buy my own insurance I had 5 years no claims built up and was able to get insurance on my own for £450-£500. As you said it was the logical thing to do by the time you bought a car sub £1K and paid the daft insurance prices per month, adding in any unknowns with regards to MOT/Servicing/Breakdowns etc in an old car it really was a no brainer. Edit: Forgot to say budget in for yourself putting away that little extra for servicing costs and tyres on the new car also, roughly £280 per year keeps you covered for both (or if you can purchase servicing plan with car also). Another aspect of a new car that if something happens they fix and give you loan car if it be off for a while. No hassle worrying if your old car might let you down or give you an unbudgeted repair bill.

Thanks for that. It does only seem like the right choice to pick, especially at a young age you'll also have the luxury of driving a new car instead of one that's over 15 years old. My best choice with the 'Just Add Fuel' scheme is with Marmalade as they seem to offer a wide range of cars at the cheapest prices I can find. Only downside is that because I'm 17 I can't enter any legal contract therefore I'd have to get one of my parents to sign.
    Edited by: "Jennings9" 12th Aug 2016

Original Poster

shepademus

The original commenter's post maybe illegal, but I'm not exactly saying that my Dad won't ever drive the car, it will basically be shared which is acceptable.

Jennings9

Just tried that website and it advises me that I'm too young to insure - … Just tried that website and it advises me that I'm too young to insure - thanks for the suggestion anyway.

My daughter has just turned 17 and they have insured her, so don't know why they won't insure you.

Original Poster

lju

My daughter has just turned 17 and they have insured her, so don't know … My daughter has just turned 17 and they have insured her, so don't know why they won't insure you.

Possibly to do with the car, I'm trying with a 14 year old car which can affect some insurance companies on whether they offer you a quote.

I'm 24 and as my father as first driver I'm paying £2000. No accidents/points. So to me it sounds like it's a decent price. But then again i live in Bradford...

scaffolder

My Daughter brought a Mini Sport @ 19 and what i did was have me as a … My Daughter brought a Mini Sport @ 19 and what i did was have me as a named driver for the car , it brought the insurance down too £950 fully comprehensive from £1600, i have never driven the car and never will as i have my own car . try it and see if it works for you ..

If you put your name down as a named driver, i.e. a second driver, then that's fine.

If you put your name down as the main/primary driver and your daughter as the secondary driver, and you don't ever drive it, then that's fronting and is illegal.
    Edited by: "preecey" 12th Aug 2016

shepademus

​no its not. you can have an older driver as a named driver on the policy and its perfectly legal - i had 3 older drivers on mine (mum dad uncle) and it literally halved the price.

fronting is an entirely different thing altogether. where an older driver is listed as the main driver of the car.

£2000 is a fair price as i paid that in my 1st year driving 10 years ago , and that was on a 1.0L punto worth about £200.

shepademus

​Aww please say a bit more, like 'sorry for misleading you but I'm actually wrong'.

shepademus

Plus no No Claims Bonus so every other year would be as expensive as year one.

what are you putting down as your job?

Banned

Just get a moped for a year.

Banned

I payed 1k 12 years ago .
    I know it's £1600 now.
    ring all over, use comparison's site and welcome to the haggling world
    it's gonna be tough haggling

shubyz

I'm 24 and as my father as first driver I'm paying £2000. No … I'm 24 and as my father as first driver I'm paying £2000. No accidents/points. So to me it sounds like it's a decent price. But then again i live in Bradford...

This is fronting.

Having a parent as a named driver(second/third driver is not fronting)is not fronting

centurion

This is fronting. Having a parent as a named driver(second/third driver … This is fronting. Having a parent as a named driver(second/third driver is not fronting)is not fronting

Yes it may be, but it's either that or no car. I'm not paying £5k plus for insurance

shubyz

Yes it may be, but it's either that or no car. I'm not paying £5k plus … Yes it may be, but it's either that or no car. I'm not paying £5k plus for insurance

If the insurer will ever find that you will pay £5000 for insurance forever... oO

shubyz

Yes it may be, but it's either that or no car. I'm not paying £5k plus … Yes it may be, but it's either that or no car. I'm not paying £5k plus for insurance

might as well not pay anything then as you arent insured! oO

and you wont be building up any no claims discount
    Edited by: "chocci" 13th Aug 2016

Have you used the comparison sites? If your parents have their own insurance it might be worth going to what ever website there's are for a quote as many will give on second policies within the same household.

My 17 year old boy passed his text in November. He has fully comp insurance with Tesco (black box) on a 1.6 Ford Focus for £1000 for the first year. He is the main driver and has chosen a low excess, my self and his dad are named drivers which brings it down a bit.

It is also cheaper if you are able to pay the years premium up front, if he wanted to pay it monthly it jumped to about £2000.

shubyz

No, all us other genuine people burden the costs for technically uninsured drivers.!.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 14th Aug 2016

Did you see that with Marmalade you can also insure an already insured car on a monthly basis and it costs around £77/month (that's about £924 a year), you could buy a cheap car, have your dad insure it for maybe a couple of hundred pound a year and use Marmalade for you (Instant cover, No risk to owner's No Claims Bonus, 10% off Student Driver Insurance, Flexible cover), good review according to some site. I may actually use them for my daughter's insurance, I have been paying £45 per week on a temporary basis (yes £45!!!), which worked ok until now as she did not need my car all the time. But according to Marmalade they would charge me £77 for 30 days, I may check the small print to make sure that there are not hidden surprises
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Giffgaff New goodybags36
      2. WONGA REFUNDS DUE2121023
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047178
      4. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691420

See more discussions