Groups
    EXPIRED

young enterprise product ideas help!

im part of this years young enterprise team in my college. its basically like the apprentice kind of thing but we have to compete against other schools.

im trying to come up with some ideas but im stuck with either choosing a product or service which will be succesfull.
    target audience:
    -school children ages 12-16
    - parents buying for their children

we will be selling in a high school and at various fairs so something suitable for those.

any ideas will be highly appreciated.

24 Comments

Banned

mines are all patented sorry

We did handmade jewellery but I was at a girls school.

Back in 6th form I was MD in the young enterprise scheme.

Our most successfull venture was selling glow sticks at the school disco.

Bought them on eBay for around 3 or 4 pence each in 500+ bulk and sold them for between 70p-£1.

We made an absolute killing, bu you probably won't have the easy market being in college rather then 6th form.

Do you have any money/captical to spend?

Banned

Disco;6669671

capital isnt just money :thumbsup:

adambaz;6669670

Back in 6th form I was MD in the young enterprise scheme. Our most … Back in 6th form I was MD in the young enterprise scheme. Our most successfull venture was selling glow sticks at the school disco. Bought them on eBay for around 3 or 4 pence each in 500+ bulk and sold them for between 70p-£1. We made an absolute killing, bu you probably won't have the easy market being in college rather then 6th form.

MAGICAL TREVORRRRR

Original Poster

adambaz;6669670

Back in 6th form I was MD in the young enterprise scheme. Our most … Back in 6th form I was MD in the young enterprise scheme. Our most successfull venture was selling glow sticks at the school disco. Bought them on eBay for around 3 or 4 pence each in 500+ bulk and sold them for between 70p-£1. We made an absolute killing, bu you probably won't have the easy market being in college rather then 6th form.

it is a 6th form, dont know why i wrote college.

i thought about doing something like that but apparently the judges dont just look at the profit made. they look at how good the idea is.

ill sugest this to the group but do u know wat kind of things would be good to sell to the lower years?

Original Poster

Disco;6669671

about £125 but maybe abit more if needed.

ALICOM007;6669747

about £125 but maybe abit more if needed.

send me £100 pp gift and i will tell you my idea :whistling:

Original Poster

ARROWSMITH47;6669875

send me £100 pp gift and i will tell you my idea :whistling:

lol. ull have to convince the other 25 people in the group first

Original Poster

if there are any mothers on here id appreciate it if you could tell me the kind of things you would buy for your kids if you saw it in a market somewhere.

ALICOM007;6669739

it is a 6th form, dont know why i wrote college. i thought about doing … it is a 6th form, dont know why i wrote college. i thought about doing something like that but apparently the judges dont just look at the profit made. they look at how good the idea is.ill sugest this to the group but do u know wat kind of things would be good to sell to the lower years?

I see where you're coming from, but if you make a big profit. they will take notice.

Someone who's not made a penny is not going to win.

You could sell the glowsticks to gain extra funds to put into something else.

Not all businesses start where they end up (eg. Nokia selling rubber and cables to them making mobile phones).

You can't make money without money sometimes, so make some easy cash and inject it into something that will give you a chance.

What we did back in the day was a recipe book. We went to loadsa local restaurants seeking recipes in return for a small advert at the bottom of each page: we got photos and the recipes. The cost of each book was £3.50 and we sold for £7, so it had good profit margins. It's something to think about :thumbsup:

i did it last year. we set up a hoodie company. we sold our own brand (nkd.) and did hoodies for all the school trips.

nkd-qegs.webs.com/

Original Poster

adambaz;6669950

I see where you're coming from, but if you make a big profit. they will … I see where you're coming from, but if you make a big profit. they will take notice.Someone who's not made a penny is not going to win.You could sell the glowsticks to gain extra funds to put into something else.Not all businesses start where they end up (eg. Nokia selling rubber and cables to them making mobile phones).You can't make money without money sometimes, so make some easy cash and inject it into something that will give you a chance.

glowsticks is a good idea but the only chance of selling those is after the exam period.

i had a look on ebay and rubiks cubes seem like a good idea. i can get 96 keyring cubes for £40 and if we sold them for £2 each we would make £192 so thats just over £150 profit. u think we would be able to shift 96 of them though?

Original Poster

hdizzle;6669955

What we did back in the day was a recipe book. We went to loadsa local … What we did back in the day was a recipe book. We went to loadsa local restaurants seeking recipes in return for a small advert at the bottom of each page: we got photos and the recipes. The cost of each book was £3.50 and we sold for £7, so it had good profit margins. It's something to think about :thumbsup:

we had a similar idea from one of the team members but it was for a study/revision guide for gcse students. we thought about it but decided that it wont work as well established companys already sell study guides cheaply and we cant compete with that.

emhaslam;6669978

i did it last year. we set up a hoodie company. we sold our own brand … i did it last year. we set up a hoodie company. we sold our own brand (nkd.) and did hoodies for all the school trips. http://www.nkd-qegs.webs.com/

that seems similar to last years young enterprise.

was ur idea succesfull? as in make any money?

ALICOM007;6669998

glowsticks is a good idea but the only chance of selling those is after … glowsticks is a good idea but the only chance of selling those is after the exam period.i had a look on ebay and rubiks cubes seem like a good idea. i can get 96 keyring cubes for £40 and if we sold them for £2 each we would make £192 so thats just over £150 profit. u think we would be able to shift 96 of them though?

i'd buy one! if you have a decent sized 6th form/school (e.g. ours is 1200 pupils Y7-13) it would be a doddle

Original Poster

emhaslam;6670042

i'd buy one! if you have a decent sized 6th form/school (e.g. ours is … i'd buy one! if you have a decent sized 6th form/school (e.g. ours is 1200 pupils Y7-13) it would be a doddle

yh we have about 1400 students altogether in the school. plus teachers might buy some as well.

ALICOM007;6670036

that seems similar to last years young enterprise.was ur idea succesfull? … that seems similar to last years young enterprise.was ur idea succesfull? as in make any money?

t-shirts were terrible (we just sold at cost price - not suprising if you see them on the site) but hoodies we bought and got printed for around £10 so we made a fair profit on them. At the end everyone in the company (25 people and 2advisors got £35 each + £10 share money back). We did two batches of nkd. hoodies and two school trips. we should have done more but our MD was in hospital for 3months and it kind of fell apart while he was out. we got to the area final i think, came second in the area final if i remember correctly.

Original Poster

emhaslam;6670081

t-shirts were terrible (we just sold at cost price - not suprising if you … t-shirts were terrible (we just sold at cost price - not suprising if you see them on the site) but hoodies we bought and got printed for around £10 so we made a fair profit on them. At the end everyone in the company (25 people and 2advisors got £35 each + £10 share money back). We did two batches of nkd. hoodies and two school trips. we should have done more but our MD was in hospital for 3months and it kind of fell apart while he was out. we got to the area final i think, came second in the area final if i remember correctly.

im speaking to some of the other members of my group and suested selling the rubiks cubes but they said it lacks ambition and originality.

if we made alot of money but the idea is crap would we still be able to get through to the final?

Another thing we did around Valentines day was a "Last Rolo" message service.

People would pay £1 (or £2 - I can't quite remember) and leave a message and a name.

During registration we would deliver the message in a little pouch with a single "Last Rolo" to the person asked for.

That was fairly profitable - maybe you could do a Christmas message style thing.

+ We also bought the previous year's stock for a tenner or so and sold their excess stock of joke books - that got us started.

ALICOM007;6670147

im speaking to some of the other members of my group and suested selling … im speaking to some of the other members of my group and suested selling the rubiks cubes but they said it lacks ambition and originality. if we made alot of money but the idea is crap would we still be able to get through to the final?

not with that idea alone i wouldnt have thought. you could use it to get some capital though to begin with (we sold uv paint for a uv party) but you need to start thinking of more longterm ideas for the finals

Original Poster

adambaz;6670166

Another thing we did around Valentines day was a "Last Rolo" message … Another thing we did around Valentines day was a "Last Rolo" message service.People would pay £1 (or £2 - I can't quite remember) and leave a message and a name.During registration we would deliver the message in a little pouch with a single "Last Rolo" to the person asked for.That was fairly profitable - maybe you could do a Christmas message style thing.+ We also bought the previous year's stock for a tenner or so and sold their excess stock of joke books - that got us started.

thats also a good idea to make abit more money on the side. the only problem i face now is convincing the others because they want a unique idea that no one has thought of. but im jus thinking of money making ideas.

ALICOM007;6670220

thats also a good idea to make abit more money on the side. the only … thats also a good idea to make abit more money on the side. the only problem i face now is convincing the others because they want a unique idea that no one has thought of. but im jus thinking of money making ideas.

No point in doing it if you're not gonna make some pocket money on the side!

Make sure you take a shareholder dividend :thumbsup:

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213615
    2. Sad news about Barcelona24110
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764165
    4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2953

See more discussions