Young Person's Railcard upper age limit going up to 30!

Found 21st Nov 2017
bbc.co.uk/new…750

Won't go in to motivations of this change but might be a welcome sight for some!
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
DT8921st Nov 2017

You have a really disturbing vendetta against anyone born around or after …You have a really disturbing vendetta against anyone born around or after the mid 1980s

catbeans21st Nov 2017

..... Edit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's …..... Edit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's early 60's with a fat pension pot whilst living through years of an abundance of jobs, I can only wish.

His views are not only completely out of date, they would have been deemed so in any era. Unfortunately he has such little confidence in his own cliched assertions, that he will not respond when challenged and prefers to hide timidly behind a supposed use of the ignore button. Hence there is no opportunity for a balanced discussion about the benefits that the majority of the older generation have rightly enjoyed such as Winter Fuel Payment for the last 20 years, Triple lock pensions, Free bus passes etc, plus significant equity gained in a rising house market for security if choosing / needing to downsize in later life. No we must just trot out tired old guff about 'Millennials'.

Any good society should seek to support the latest generation making their way in life, and step in with support where possible when a need is identified. This is a relatively small concession after all, and would only trigger outrage in someone with a very narrow mind. Someone jobless, childless and enduring a very embittered life in their mid-50's would probably fit the profile. Berate the young and envy the old just about sums this particular demographic up.

philphil6121st Nov 2017

Ageism at it's finest......For those that have worked hard for decades and …Ageism at it's finest......For those that have worked hard for decades and paid all those taxes and pension credits etc...here's nothing. For those who have hardly given anything back to society, spend hours in front of their cameras taking selfies on how good they look and how important designer brands are...here's another discount for you.[Image] No I'm not bovvered I'm laughing my thermal socks off because in 25-30 years you millennials will be in the same situation as we are. Ignored and considered moaning about nothing and wondering why taxes are so high and there's not much help for those in real need..Think on

84 Comments
Would be better if they rid of it altogether and divided the savings among all generations or reduce astronomical annual increases. I suppose this is all part of the Tories plan to appeal to the younger generation (good luck).
Ageism at it's finest......

For those that have worked hard for decades and paid all those taxes and pension credits etc...here's nothing.

For those who have hardly given anything back to society, spend hours in front of their cameras taking selfies on how good they look and how important designer brands are...here's another discount for you.

32496953-CcHJS.jpg

No I'm not bovvered I'm laughing my thermal socks off because in 25-30 years you millennials will be in the same situation as we are. Ignored and considered moaning about nothing and wondering why taxes are so high and there's not much help for those in real need..

Think on
thrustmaster11 m ago

Would be better if they rid of it altogether and divided the savings among …Would be better if they rid of it altogether and divided the savings among all generations or reduce astronomical annual increases. I suppose this is all part of the Tories plan to appeal to the younger generation (good luck).

Think it's more to do with young people having less money and needing to get to Uni/education/apprenticeships/jobs whilst being less likely to own there own transport.
philphil6110 m ago

Ageism at it's finest......For those that have worked hard for decades and …Ageism at it's finest......For those that have worked hard for decades and paid all those taxes and pension credits etc...here's nothing. For those who have hardly given anything back to society, spend hours in front of their cameras taking selfies on how good they look and how important designer brands are...here's another discount for you.[Image] No I'm not bovvered I'm laughing my thermal socks off because in 25-30 years you millennials will be in the same situation as we are. Ignored and considered moaning about nothing and wondering why taxes are so high and there's not much help for those in real need..Think on

railcard.co.uk/?gc….ds

Edit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's early 60's with a fat pension pot whilst living through years of an abundance of jobs, I can only wish.
Edited by: "catbeans" 21st Nov 2017
deleted265520
philphil616 m ago

You have a really disturbing vendetta against anyone born around or after the mid 1980s
Banned
SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES!

I'm a young person and I'm only 87! Nope my little social justice cry-babies you become an adult at 18 and will pay for the "system" like everybody else. Everyone of these people has the amazing sense of "self-entitlement" of everything being owed to them.

Bring back chimney sweeps I say!
Guess everyone else is going to pay more....!
catbeans29 m ago

Think it's more to do with young people having less money and needing to …Think it's more to do with young people having less money and needing to get to Uni/education/apprenticeships/jobs whilst being less likely to own there own transport.

I must've missed the part where our government became so considerate..
Wouldn't it be more applicable for this change to specifically target students and those working on low incomes in that case rather than a blanket increase from 25-30?
The nanny state
DT8921st Nov 2017

You have a really disturbing vendetta against anyone born around or after …You have a really disturbing vendetta against anyone born around or after the mid 1980s

catbeans21st Nov 2017

..... Edit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's …..... Edit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's early 60's with a fat pension pot whilst living through years of an abundance of jobs, I can only wish.

His views are not only completely out of date, they would have been deemed so in any era. Unfortunately he has such little confidence in his own cliched assertions, that he will not respond when challenged and prefers to hide timidly behind a supposed use of the ignore button. Hence there is no opportunity for a balanced discussion about the benefits that the majority of the older generation have rightly enjoyed such as Winter Fuel Payment for the last 20 years, Triple lock pensions, Free bus passes etc, plus significant equity gained in a rising house market for security if choosing / needing to downsize in later life. No we must just trot out tired old guff about 'Millennials'.

Any good society should seek to support the latest generation making their way in life, and step in with support where possible when a need is identified. This is a relatively small concession after all, and would only trigger outrage in someone with a very narrow mind. Someone jobless, childless and enduring a very embittered life in their mid-50's would probably fit the profile. Berate the young and envy the old just about sums this particular demographic up.

philphil6121st Nov 2017

Graham19791 h, 17 m ago

SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES!I'm a young person and I'm only 87! Nope …SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES SNOWFLAKES!I'm a young person and I'm only 87! Nope my little social justice cry-babies you become an adult at 18 and will pay for the "system" like everybody else. Everyone of these people has the amazing sense of "self-entitlement" of everything being owed to them.Bring back chimney sweeps I say!

Looks like they won't pay for the system the same as everyone else.
thrustmaster58 m ago

I must've missed the part where our government became so …I must've missed the part where our government became so considerate..Wouldn't it be more applicable for this change to specifically target students and those working on low incomes in that case rather than a blanket increase from 25-30?

They probably weighed up the cost of giving it to everyone a certain age against means testing it and decided on the option they thought would cost less overall.
thrustmaster1 h, 18 m ago

I must've missed the part where our government became so …I must've missed the part where our government became so considerate..Wouldn't it be more applicable for this change to specifically target students and those working on low incomes in that case rather than a blanket increase from 25-30?

Why? don't commuters going to low payed/zero hour/part time jobs or aprenticeships deserve cheap fair?
deleted265520
Saturn59 m ago

His views are not only completely out of date, they would have been deemed …His views are not only completely out of date, they would have been deemed so in any era. Unfortunately he has such little confidence in his own cliched assertions, that he will not respond when challenged and prefers to hide timidly behind a supposed use of the ignore button. Hence there is no opportunity for a balanced discussion about the benefits that the majority of the older generation have rightly enjoyed such as Winter Fuel Payment for the last 20 years, Triple lock pensions, Free bus passes etc, plus significant equity gained in a rising house market for security if choosing / needing to downsize in later life. No we must just trot out tired old guff about 'Millennials'. Any good society should seek to support the latest generation making their way in life, and step in with support where possible when a need is identified. This is a relatively small concession after all, and would only trigger outrage in someone with a very narrow mind. Someone jobless, childless and enduring a very embittered life in their mid-50's would probably fit the profile. Berate the young and envy the old just about sums this particular demographic up.

You're right - he put me on ignore some time ago because he doesn't have the ability or the patience to debate without resorting to insults.

You're also right about his generation and the generation before that (baby boomers). They had it relatively easy compared to what the future holds for us mere 20-35 year olds. Wage stagnation at an all time high alongside the biggest gulf between wages and house prices.

Perhaps it's because people like myself were the first generation to experience the most recent technological revolution from a young age. We've experienced the early stages in the 1990s and have grew up with it ever since. Information is readily available from sources other than the mainstream rags/news channels. The fact that we know where to look instead of listening to the rants of people in Phil & Graham's demographic causes them a lot of frustration. To us they will always be that bloke in the pub talking absolute twaddle. Learning from the previous generation is a thing of the past and these middle aged men resent that.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 21st Nov 2017
catbeans1 h, 48 m ago

https://www.railcard.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_yo3uvP1wIV6p3tCh2PTQixEAAYAiAAEgL18PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsEdit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's early 60's with a fat pension pot whilst living through years of an abundance of jobs, I can only wish.

How many 40 - 65 years olds do you or anyone else know that have been able to retire early?
How many of those discounts on the link you provided benefit 40 - 65 year olds?

I'm in no way targeting needy citizens (low income caused by over population / gig economy etc) but if this "rule/benefit/discount" was gender or race specific there would be a viral outburst on social media with politicians and pop stars/actors giving their voice

But it affects people who don't fit the rules which means it's discriminating or did you miss that point?
catbeans1 h, 59 m ago

https://www.railcard.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu_yo3uvP1wIV6p3tCh2PTQixEAAYAiAAEgL18PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsEdit; also what situation would that be? Retiring in your late 50's early 60's with a fat pension pot whilst living through years of an abundance of jobs, I can only wish.

Did anyone read that link ?
let me summarise ?
To NOT qualify for a railcard if this goes through
you need to be between the ages of 30-60
Not have anyone you can travel with
Not live in the south east
Not be disabled (it is half price the criteria are very lenient no degrading test just so you can have a few quid to survive on here)

So you are a health adult in the prime of life and the most positive thing you can come up with is to bitch about this ?

It is easy to say get rid of the whole system but it is all about encouraging rail travel and selling tickets that would otherwise remain unsold empty seats are in nobody's interest
philphil6139 m ago

How many 40 - 65 years olds do you or anyone else know that have been able …How many 40 - 65 years olds do you or anyone else know that have been able to retire early?How many of those discounts on the link you provided benefit 40 - 65 year olds?I'm in no way targeting needy citizens (low income caused by over population / gig economy etc) but if this "rule/benefit/discount" was gender or race specific there would be a viral outburst on social media with politicians and pop stars/actors giving their voice But it affects people who don't fit the rules which means it's discriminating or did you miss that point?

My father , my uncle, several people i worked with all retired early off the top of my head, not to mention my retirement age is already going to be higher than anyone near retirement age at the moment.

The group you mentioned are the least in need and you are making a wobbly point that this benefit is discrimination for no reason but to make it. See Wongy's post. Guess what there are gender specific benefits, age specific benefits etc. this isnt the first.
Edited by: "catbeans" 21st Nov 2017
DT8921st Nov 2017

They had it relatively easy compared to what the future holds for us mere …They had it relatively easy compared to what the future holds for us mere 20-35 year olds. Wage stagnation at an all time high alongside the biggest gulf between wages and house prices. Learning from the previous generation is a thing of the past and these middle aged men resent that.

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your 2nd thought to help you out on your 1st issue.

If you're really good at your job nothing will hold you back. There is and has always been plenty of scope to better oneself if your the type that is driven by money. When I was employed I don't think I ever accepted the initial annual wage review offered, but I was in that position because I knew my worth to any company in my working sector.

I know people in your age group that are working in a similar sector to me that earn salaries far higher than I could have ever dreamed of.

I think too many mediocre workers look at the older generation as a crutch for their failings.
Baby boomers want it all..... not surprised, the generation that created the 80s lifestyle and its all excesses still greedy for more.

Lunch is for wimps.
Train passes are for wimps
University is for wimps.
Europe is for wimps.

Such a self entitled greedy generation.

I wish the young folk all the luck and cheap train tickets they can get hold of... and hope they enjoy their lunches, go to university and welcome people of all nations and religions to our great nation.

Ignore the boomers.... be yourself be free... get cheap trains...

My life moto that...

almost.
deleted265520
OllieSt21 m ago

Perhaps you should re-evaluate your 2nd thought to help you out on your …Perhaps you should re-evaluate your 2nd thought to help you out on your 1st issue. If you're really good at your job nothing will hold you back. There is and has always been plenty of scope to better oneself if your the type that is driven by money. When I was employed I don't think I ever accepted the initial annual wage review offered, but I was in that position because I knew my worth to any company in my working sector. I know people in your age group that are working in a similar sector to me that earn salaries far higher than I could have ever dreamed of. I think too many mediocre workers look at the older generation as a crutch for their failings.

What on earth are you on about?
Most people don't have wage reviews offered to them. They simply have to take what they are given. NHS nurse wage increases of 1% versus higher increase of inflation = worse off than previous years.

You've completey ignored the part about the cost of house prices rising versus wages. Using London as an example... apparently this is the place go where people go to exceed in their career.

Average salary is 35-40K
Average house price is 500+K

Now compare that to 20-25 years. You'll find it's a wage increase of something like 40% versus a house price increase of 500%

You are miles away from reality if you think anyone can achieve anything they want especially with this Government in charge.
deleted265520
joanddan716 m ago

Baby boomers want it all..... not surprised, the generation that created …Baby boomers want it all..... not surprised, the generation that created the 80s lifestyle and its all excesses still greedy for more.Lunch is for wimps. Train passes are for wimpsUniversity is for wimps.Europe is for wimps.Such a self entitled greedy generation.I wish the young folk all the luck and cheap train tickets they can get hold of... and hope they enjoy their lunches, go to university and welcome people of all nations and religions to our great nation.Ignore the boomers.... be yourself be free... get cheap trains...My life moto that...almost.

Baby boomers moaning about anything and everything despite reaping the benefits several decades ago.

100% mortgages, low prices, early retirement, decent pension plans, decent wages when compared to cost of living.

It's ridiculous.
DT8921st Nov 2017

What on earth are you on about?Most people don't have wage reviews offered …What on earth are you on about?Most people don't have wage reviews offered to them. They simply have to take what they are given. NHS nurse wage increases of 1% versus higher increase of inflation = worse off than previous years.You've completey ignored the part about about cost of house prices rising versus wages. Using London as an example... apparently this is the place go where people go to exceed in their career.Average salary is 35-40KAverage house price is 500+KNow compare that to 20-25 years. You'll find it's a wage increase of something like 40% versus a house price increase of 500%You are miles away from reality if you think anyone can achieve anything they want especially with this Government in charge.

My first mortgage was @ 7.5%. You continue to feel sorry for yourself
DT8921st Nov 2017

Baby boomers moaning about anything and everything despite reaping the …Baby boomers moaning about anything and everything despite reaping the benefits several decades ago.100% mortgages, low prices, early retirement, decent pension plans, decent wages when compared to cost of living.It's ridiculous.

Unfortunately 90% of those both locally and nationally that represent us and have the power are those that reaped the benefit.

Pay it forward. Instead they are all dodging the taxes through their own loopholes and depriving groups like the disabled of a decent standard of living always hiding behind a handful of dishonest scroungers that look to defraud the system...

this is not reason to give and support the disabled.

Fix the systems. Close loop holes, make people pay their taxes.

It's all very basic.... I could write what they need to do on the side of a bus if it would help them buy into it.
DT8921st Nov 2017

Baby boomers moaning about anything and everything despite reaping the …Baby boomers moaning about anything and everything despite reaping the benefits several decades ago.100% mortgages, low prices, early retirement, decent pension plans, decent wages when compared to cost of living.It's ridiculous.

If you continue leading your life thinking successful 'baby boomers' just happened to be in the right place at the right time you're going to have sorely dissapointing middle age. Why would baby boomers be moaning if you are so convinced they all have mansions bought with zero deposit. I have a niece that will be a similar age to yourself. The salary she earns is astronomical compared to anything I have ever earned. How did that happen? Nurses etc on low pay is a red herring. They have always been underpaid.
catbeans49 m ago

My father , my uncle, several people i worked with all retired early off …My father , my uncle, several people i worked with all retired early off the top of my head, not to mention my retirement age is already going to be higher than anyone near retirement age at the moment.The group you mentioned are the least in need and you are making a wobbly point that this benefit is discrimination for no reason but to make it. See Wongy's post. Guess what there are gender specific benefits, age specific benefits etc. this isnt the first.

You are very lucky to have a few senior relatives who have had the good fortune to retire early. I know a few who had paid into company pensions for decades to only come away with having to survive on pennies. I know a neighbour who has had to sell her home because she couldn't afford the mortgage after her husband died because of a clerical error and because she now has "capital" she's not entitled to pension credits etc and is therefore still having to work even though she's 71.

Yes there will be a few well off / well invested / good planning people who were able to retire early but that's not the majority.

You seem OK for example that a person aged 30 or under with an annual income over £45k can be eligible for discounted rail but not OK if a person 31 to 60 on benefits and actively seeking work or actively working but earning less than £20K doesn't deserve the same discount
Edited by: "philphil61" 21st Nov 2017
Just reduce the fares for everyone and get the cars off the road.
Brilliant the way the tories can always find ways of dividing the masses.

Billionaires becoming multi-billionaires given tax breaks/cuts on top of all the tax avoidance, but you lot are bickering amongst yourselfs over the crumbs the tories have thrown in among you.
deleted265520
OllieSt1 h, 51 m ago

My first mortgage was @ 7.5%. You continue to feel sorry for yourself

How much did your first house cost you? How much deposit were you required to pay.

You keep on forgetting to mention the costs of houses have increased ten fold compared to the increase in wages over the past 3 decades.

Convenient that.
DT8921st Nov 2017

How much did your first house cost you? How much deposit were you required …How much did your first house cost you? How much deposit were you required to pay.You keep on forgetting to mention the costs of houses have increased ten fold compared to the increase in wages over the past 3 decades. Convenient that.

I paid £7.5k deposit on a £50k flat. It went up to £80k and then down to £50k. My starting wage was £2.5k and I left after 8 years on considerably higher wages, went to live in NY and came back to the same firm, the timing was right as 2 people had recently left a subsidiary company to set up on their own and I took temporarily control of their old positions to reduce the impact on the group. After another 5 years I negotiated my own subsidiary company within the group otherwise I would leave. Stayed there for another 5 years, left and set up my own business. For the 1st 9 years my salary increased at a much higher rate than my property. I would be in the office at 6am and get home at 7pm. My 2nd stint there gave me an incredible living, too good, it wasn't sustainable. After 18 years I was happy to be 'pushed out'. My severance package paid me for a year with an additional lump sum, provided I didn't keep in the trade which I had no intention of doing.

Does all of the above sound like a walk in the park? What baby boomer advantage can you see in my career? Without blowing my own trumpet it was my business acumen that carried me through not some magical pixie dust available to me. I saw mortgage rates from 5% - 15% during the 18 year period.
Why not call it poor person's railcard rather than young person's rail card? Doesn't young supposed to mean young?
philphil612 h, 27 m ago

You are very lucky to have a few senior relatives who have had the good …You are very lucky to have a few senior relatives who have had the good fortune to retire early. I know a few who had paid into company pensions for decades to only come away with having to survive on pennies. I know a neighbour who has had to sell her home because she couldn't afford the mortgage after her husband died because of a clerical error and because she now has "capital" she's not entitled to pension credits etc and is therefore still having to work even though she's 71.Yes there will be a few well off / well invested / good planning people who were able to retire early but that's not the majority.You seem OK for example that a person aged 30 or under with an annual income over £45k can be eligible for discounted rail but not OK if a person 31 to 60 on benefits and actively seeking work or actively working but earning less than £20K doesn't deserve the same discount

Down tuh pit.
It's targeted, so clearly they have calculated the most benefit for the least cost, I would rather rail be nationalised and fares far cheaper, but it's not going to happen and I rather they target the best they can rather than nobody get anything.
Last time they did this they upped the age to 25 as I just turned 26.

Now their upping the age and it's not long before I turn 31.
Edited by: "kos1c" 21st Nov 2017
deleted265520
OllieSt1 h, 38 m ago

I paid £7.5k deposit on a £50k flat.

My point is proven.

You need to reevaluate your argument after looking at the current average salary and the current minimum living wage and then compare that to house prices across all parts of the country.

You cannot argue against facts. The gap between wages and house prices have never been higher. Forget about mortgage rates when the real issue is people who want to move out in their early 20s to establish a career in a big City. 90% of these people will be paying ridiculously high rent and will never get anywhere near a deposit for the best part of a decade. If ever.

You had it a lot easier 25+ years ago.
Original Poster
kos1c42 m ago

Last time they did this they upped the age to 25 as I just turned 26. Now …Last time they did this they upped the age to 25 as I just turned 26. Now their upping the age and it's not long before I turn 31.

Now where's that time machine everyone keeps talking about..
kos1c54 m ago

Last time they did this they upped the age to 25 as I just turned 26. Now …Last time they did this they upped the age to 25 as I just turned 26. Now their upping the age and it's not long before I turn 31.

They're trolling you.
catbeans1 h, 32 m ago

Down tuh pit.It's targeted, so clearly they have calculated the most …Down tuh pit.It's targeted, so clearly they have calculated the most benefit for the least cost, I would rather rail be nationalised and fares far cheaper, but it's not going to happen and I rather they target the best they can rather than nobody get anything.

Although I agree with your nationalising of the railway and fares be cheaper (for everyone) the majority of under 30's will not be car owners and will therefore more likely to be public transport users anyway. If everyone were offered a discount then that's less traffic on the roads = less environmental damage.

I guess most people prefer to use their cars
1 - it's private
2 - it's probably quicker
3 - it's definitely cheaper (even if you are stuck in 2 hrs of traffic jams)

Yes we need to invest in our public transport and make it economical for ALL but at the expense of discriminating against age? That is my point... as I said previously... if it had been race or gender specific there would be total uproar and if true then why is anyone allowed to be ageist?

The discount should be means tested and given to low earners/job seekers etc - why should an under 30 yr old on £45K or more need or be entitled to this discount?

And yes I realise the cost of means testing will probably wipe out most if not all the discount.
DT8921st Nov 2017

My point is proven.

If that's what makes you happy, but it's not the truth.

I know you've made it quite clear that times have changed in your mind, and there's nothing that the younger generation can learn from their elders, but I would suggest to you that you should concentrate on you rather than worrying about what others have got and how they have got it. It leans towards you looking a bit bitter and twisted.

You keep on believing you're somehow hamstringed due to your year of birth. Meanwhile my niece, a woman in her early 30's has just purchased a family home in Madia Vale. There's no such thing as a free lunch, never has been, never will be.
DT8921st Nov 2017

How much did your first house cost you? How much deposit were you required …How much did your first house cost you? How much deposit were you required to pay.You keep on forgetting to mention the costs of houses have increased ten fold compared to the increase in wages over the past 3 decades. Convenient that.

Do your research, all the properties I bought (or viewed) in the late 80s and early 90s have tripled or quadrupled. Basing your assumptions on average house sales are not a reflection of available prices.
I can go buy a 2 bed terrace for 60k, the equivalent ish new build in Wakefield is 160k in Leeds 200k.

Edit, just to add, 1st mortgage 49k monthly repayment £600. Wage take home about £650 per month.
Yes it was so easy 25+ years ago.
Edited by: "shadey12" 21st Nov 2017
.MUFC.41 m ago

They're trolling you.

The government are out to get me *puts on tin foil hat*
Once again the thread has missed the point this is not about them v us but selling tran tickets putting bums on seats
32502477-SHpfr.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants