Your Best Heist Film?

Posted 27th Apr
So I watched 21 Bridges the other night & it was pretty good. I liked the visuals, the shootout scenes looked great & so I got to thinking .. which is the best heist film of all time? Ben Affleck’s “The Town” maybe? Or Brando/ De Niro/ Kilmer’s “Heat” or perhaps my favourite Swayze’s “Point Break” - that film has it all
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Usual Suspects, Die Hard and Point Break (original)
Heat with Pacino and De Niro
67 Comments
I enjoyed the last Great train robbery. Think it was a two parter.
Reservoir Dogs (if you count it as a heist movie).
The Bank Job
joxeruk200027/04/2020 15:48

I enjoyed the last Great train robbery. Think it was a two parter.

2013 production, that sound about right? I've not seen that but I'm going to give it a go thanks
Inside Man or Inception
Haircut_10027/04/2020 15:49

Reservoir Dogs (if you count it as a heist movie).

Oh we can def count that little gem - post heist at least - I didn't appreciate it first time round, I think many Tarantino's are an acquired taste - his script work is brilliant
ChelseaRae27/04/2020 15:58

The Bank Job

The Stath' at his best! Based on a true story again wasn't it? Royal scandal photographs
djbooth7727/04/2020 16:04

Inside Man or Inception

Inside Man is good. Inception is exceptional, one of my all time favourite films, wouldn't have first thought of it as a heist but of course it is!
summerof7627/04/2020 16:07

[Image]

Did you ever watch the Marky Mark reboot? It had a certain charm to it
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:03

2013 production, that sound about right? I've not seen that but I'm going …2013 production, that sound about right? I've not seen that but I'm going to give it a go thanks

Yeah that’s the one.
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:09

Did you ever watch the Marky Mark reboot? It had a certain charm to it …Did you ever watch the Marky Mark reboot? It had a certain charm to it

No, as you can't beat an old classic movie
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:07

The Stath' at his best! Based on a true story again wasn't it? Royal …The Stath' at his best! Based on a true story again wasn't it? Royal scandal photographs

Yessss, I love a film based on a true story, makes it that bit more captivating! There was a great tv series on a few years back now reenacting some of the worlds biggest heists, I’m sure it was on channel 5, good watch it was
djbooth7727/04/2020 16:04

Inside Man or Inception

Easy to forget that Inception is a heist movie. It's fantastic.

To add to the list, Ocean's Eleven.
ChelseaRae27/04/2020 16:16

Yessss, I love a film based on a true story, makes it that bit more …Yessss, I love a film based on a true story, makes it that bit more captivating! There was a great tv series on a few years back now reenacting some of the worlds biggest heists, I’m sure it was on channel 5, good watch it was

Ch5 offering a how-to guide on heisting - sounds about right - I'm in!
Are we allowed to add now you see me to the list? I must admit, kinda not really in the same kind of action film but I do like them. Also 21, but again, different types of 'heist' (Thomas Crown affair!)

Back on track, maybe baby driver, then there is of course the oceans series, Ronin anyone?
BobSmith27/04/2020 16:18

Easy to forget that Inception is a heist movie. It's fantastic. To add to …Easy to forget that Inception is a heist movie. It's fantastic. To add to the list, Ocean's Eleven.

I am yet to watch the latest one - 13 - the one with the ladies - anyone recommend for reasons other than Rhi-Rhi?
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:20

I am yet to watch the latest one - 13 - the one with the ladies - anyone …I am yet to watch the latest one - 13 - the one with the ladies - anyone recommend for reasons other than Rhi-Rhi?

Thirteen was with the male cast, the reboot/remake with the female cast was Ocean's Eight. I have not seen it, though.

The Avengers: Endgame could be regarded as sort of heist movie, too.
a666andy27/04/2020 16:19

Are we allowed to add now you see me to the list? I must admit, kinda not …Are we allowed to add now you see me to the list? I must admit, kinda not really in the same kind of action film but I do like them. Also 21, but again, different types of 'heist' (Thomas Crown affair!)Back on track, maybe baby driver, then there is of course the oceans series, Ronin anyone?

I agree with everything you said, but Ronin has thrown me a little - is that the one with the Leon actor in it?
BobSmith27/04/2020 16:23

Thirteen was with the male cast, the reboot/remake with the female cast …Thirteen was with the male cast, the reboot/remake with the female cast was Ocean's Eight. I have not seen it, though. The Avengers: Endgame could be regarded as sort of heist movie, too.

Superhero Heist? Yeah why not
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:23

I agree with everything you said, but Ronin has thrown me a little - is …I agree with everything you said, but Ronin has thrown me a little - is that the one with the Leon actor in it?

Yes, Jean Reno
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:24

Superhero Heist? Yeah why not

Can we add a TV episode? Community's heist episode. Producers of the show went on to direct Endgame (and Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War).
I'm still not swayed from my original three - 3. The Town (scene with them in Nun masks driving in slo-mo) 2. Heat (great cast ensemble - the money truck job - plus the scenes between De Niro & Pacino) 1. Point Break (surfing, sky diving, nomadic lifestyle plus the ex-presidents "we've been screwing you for years so a few more seconds shouldn't matter" bank robbery).
BobSmith27/04/2020 16:29

Can we add a TV episode? Community's heist episode. Producers of the show …Can we add a TV episode? Community's heist episode. Producers of the show went on to direct Endgame (and Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War).

Google has landed me on "The Last Chang Dynasty" - is that correct!?
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:33

Google has landed me on "The Last Chang Dynasty" - is that correct!?

Yep. The entire show is worth watching, though. Fantastic comedy. Recently put back on Netflix and has had a second life.
a666andy27/04/2020 16:19

Are we allowed to add now you see me to the list? I must admit, kinda not …Are we allowed to add now you see me to the list? I must admit, kinda not really in the same kind of action film but I do like them. Also 21, but again, different types of 'heist' (Thomas Crown affair!)Back on track, maybe baby driver, then there is of course the oceans series, Ronin anyone?

Agreed, Ronin is class...

For live action you can't beat 'Heat', Michael Mann insisted on live rounds to be used on the set.
BobSmith27/04/2020 16:34

Yep. The entire show is worth watching, though. Fantastic comedy. Recently …Yep. The entire show is worth watching, though. Fantastic comedy. Recently put back on Netflix and has had a second life.

I've recently started watching it again just over a week ago, almost onto series 4 I think, funny and easy watching series
a666andy27/04/2020 16:36

I've recently started watching it again just over a week ago, almost onto …I've recently started watching it again just over a week ago, almost onto series 4 I think, funny and easy watching series

Season 4 is a little weaker as the creator was not brought back for it, but there are still some good episodes there. I am hoping it will finally lead to the movie (or even another season). There has been a peak of interest in the show again.
JumpMan198027/04/2020 16:31

I'm still not swayed from my original three - 3. The Town (scene with them …I'm still not swayed from my original three - 3. The Town (scene with them in Nun masks driving in slo-mo) 2. Heat (great cast ensemble - the money truck job - plus the scenes between De Niro & Pacino) 1. Point Break (surfing, sky diving, nomadic lifestyle plus the ex-presidents "we've been screwing you for years so a few more seconds shouldn't matter" bank robbery).

Yep bang on, also go for Scarface and Savages, probably not in the heist category but great action.
Pretty much every heist movie made owes an enormous debt to Rififi, from 1955. Check it out.
dog day afternoon
True Story:-
A friend recommended Point Break as he know I liked heist movies, however, I accidentally ordered ‘The Kill Point’ by mistake. Luckily, The Kill Point is a heist movies (series, really) and is excellent. When I was discussing it with him later, of course he didn’t know what I was talking about and he kept going on about surfing, which I knew nothing about. Anyway, I later got Point Break and didn’t like it

Inside Man is my favourite along with Oceans 11 & The Italian Job (re-make) and I’ll throw in ‘The Heist’ with William H Macy as a fun heist film too.
cycleman27/04/2020 16:45

Yep bang on, also go for Scarface and Savages, probably not in the heist …Yep bang on, also go for Scarface and Savages, probably not in the heist category but great action.

Yes to Savages. Super cool
Mission Impossible 1996 is worth a mention. Vault scene.
nicklincs27/04/2020 18:10

Now you are talking, what a film that is.
nicklincs27/04/2020 18:10

Yep, that would be my choice, the scene when they come out of the bank is something else...
Certainly not the best, but certainly one of the best with absurd concept with appropriate tagline of "Based On An Absurd But True Story": Stockholm (2018) imdb.com/tit…40/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions