Groups

Your Strangest ebay experience?

A follow on from the ebay post about sending empty boxes recorded delivery, do people actually do that?

30 Comments

Original Poster

I have had a few. Years ago i sold a set of Tweenies dolls (remember those) a guy bought them but took ages to pay. He then emailed me and said could he collect and save on postage, (£1.50 they were the mini ones) although he was from down south and i was from Blackpool. He then went on to say he'd guessed i was alot younger than him (having young kids) that he was 65 (or something i forget now) but he'd come up for the day if we could meet up (as age should be no issue) and he'd take me out for a drink and pay cash on collection for the tweenies. To be honest i found it quite funny, if not a little odd. Especially as he was buying them "as the Tweenies were his favourite charactors" i politely declined his offer. Was a bit concerned he now had my address eeekkkk.... emailed him and said no wasn't interested etc anyway he went on to pay and postage too by billpoint or something i think.

Then there was the guy who bought my o/h remote control plane (huge thing) friend offered to let him collect in Preston as it was nearer for him and friend worked in town centre.So he collected and paid etc. Then i got stalked by him for ages after he wanted me to set him on a date with my male friend. My friend not being gay was NOT amused... still amuses me though ... hehehe.

On the other hand met lots of lovely people on there too

once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors down, he could not believe it when i knocked on his door, quickest delivery ever..

I've had it done to me - no come back, as they've delivered you something. I don't use ebay anymore... too much hassle, freecycle stuff and people are genuinely appreciative.

i was selling some old clothes on there couple of years ago and this woman (well they said they were a woman)
    kept sending me messages through ebay she kept telling me at the start that i had some lovely clothes, why was i selling such lovely things, then the next lot were can she have them for nothing as she was dirt poor i obviously declined

then the last straw was when she kept asking me to talk to her as she was in a state (her words) she then told me she was dying of cancer as was her daughter, money was tight could i send her some money as i was selling a lot of stuff and was going for good money. I just ignored them totally after that then a couple of days later they were no longer a registered user very strange

Banned

I sold a 3 pack of Gillette razors (the ones you get in a starter set) for £15 when the set itself was only £10 and you get loads of other stuff with the set?? weird!

the place is full of nut jobs now, i just save up all my stuff and do loadsa bootsales in the summer

ilovepink;6992707

the place is full of nut jobs now, i just save up all my stuff and do … the place is full of nut jobs now, i just save up all my stuff and do loadsa bootsales in the summer

so true

Banned

ilovepink;6992688

i was selling some old clothes on there couple of years ago and this … i was selling some old clothes on there couple of years ago and this woman (well they said they were a woman)kept sending me messages through ebay she kept telling me at the start that i had some lovely clothes, why was i selling such lovely things, then the next lot were can she have them for nothing as she was dirt poor i obviously declinedthen the last straw was when she kept asking me to talk to her as she was in a state (her words) she then told me she was dying of cancer as was her daughter, money was tight could i send her some money as i was selling a lot of stuff and was going for good money. I just ignored them totally after that then a couple of days later they were no longer a registered user very strange

she died and now she haunts you

ukmonkey;6992661

once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors … once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors down, he could not believe it when i knocked on door..

Similar happened to me, bought something and they was on next street, delivered within minutes.

Also sold a denon tuner, for which the guy paid in full (including postage) via paypal (I didnt know the risk then of being scammed) he than asked if he could collect to save postage, and drove 100 miles each way (postage was only £6), I then asked about refunding the postage he had paid and he said dont worry about it.

bykergrove;6992720

she died and now she haunts you

:?

The empty box trick now doesnt work as weight is provided on tracking info/receipt, however a few bricks to the weight of what you are selling soon sort this out.

Original Poster

ilovepink;6992688

i was selling some old clothes on there couple of years ago and this … i was selling some old clothes on there couple of years ago and this woman (well they said they were a woman)kept sending me messages through ebay she kept telling me at the start that i had some lovely clothes, why was i selling such lovely things, then the next lot were can she have them for nothing as she was dirt poor i obviously declinedthen the last straw was when she kept asking me to talk to her as she was in a state (her words) she then told me she was dying of cancer as was her daughter, money was tight could i send her some money as i was selling a lot of stuff and was going for good money. I just ignored them totally after that then a couple of days later they were no longer a registered user very strange

oh my hun, that is weird!

I sold something on ebay, buyer paid in full. A couple of weeks after sending, item was returned to me. Buyer never contacted me to question why they had not received their item. I though maybe something had happened to them, but they were still actively leaving feedback for other sellers. Strange!

harlzter;6992756

The empty box trick now doesnt work as weight is provided on tracking … The empty box trick now doesnt work as weight is provided on tracking info/receipt, however a few bricks to the weight of what you are selling soon sort this out.

Yeah, empty means - not what you wanted. Don't send a completely empty box. Shove something in to rattle about...

This wasn't on ebay but was in the classifieds of the local paper,
    Well my Mum put a pair of designer shoes in the classified ads & a man phoned up asking about them to see if he could come and view them my Mum said that will be fine he turned up at the house & said he was buying them as a gift for his wife, then he asked my mum to try the shoes on to see how they would look, my mum tried them on & he said he would take them. The next day my Mum got a call from this man confessing that he didn't buy the shoes for his wife he actually bought them for himself as he has a shoe fetish!, after that my Mum got numerous calls from this man asking her to go out for lunch & have a few drinks etc she got a bit worried and she ended up changing her phone number, she was scared the man would come back to her house and pester her but her never

Original Poster

livingthelife07;6992842

This wasn't on ebay but was in the classifieds of the local paper, Well … This wasn't on ebay but was in the classifieds of the local paper, Well my Mum put a pair of designer shoes in the classified ads & a man phoned up asking about them to see if he could come and view them my Mum said that will be fine he turned up at the house & said he was buying them as a gift for his wife, then he asked my mum to try the shoes on to see how they would look, my mum tried them on & he said he would take them. The next day my Mum got a call from this man confessing that he didn't buy the shoes for his wife he actually bought them for himself as he has a shoe fetish!, after that my Mum got numerous calls from this man asking her to go out for lunch & have a few drinks etc she got a bit worried and she ended up changing her phone number, she was scared the man would come back to her house and pester her but her never

oh my... lol...

Well really its like you go into town (especially here) and you some right funny looking weird charactors. However you will sell items to people equally as odd but just never get to meet them. Same on here i surpose too :whistling:

I HAVE SOLD EPOXY MIXING STICKS FOR MODEL MAKING, 30 STICKS FOR £1.99 I GOT THEM FROM McDONALDS THEY WERE FOR MIXING TEA/COFFEE

I SOLD LOADS

raptorcigs;6992964

I HAVE SOLD EPOXY MIXING STICKS FOR MODEL MAKING, 30 STICKS FOR £1.99 I … I HAVE SOLD EPOXY MIXING STICKS FOR MODEL MAKING, 30 STICKS FOR £1.99 I GOT THEM FROM McDONALDS THEY WERE FOR MIXING TEA/COFFEEI SOLD LOADS

Note to self...............must go to Mcd's tommorow and pick up some sticks lol !!

Banned

Floravada;6992999

Note to self...............must go to Mcd's tommorow and pick up some … Note to self...............must go to Mcd's tommorow and pick up some sticks lol !!

lol that was funny :-D

ukmonkey;6992661

once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors … once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors down, he could not believe it when i knocked on his door, quickest delivery ever..

Similarly I bought a new Microsoft mouse and had it delivered to my office which was directly across the road from where the mouse was posted. However as they were completely people off on postage they still posted it (!) and then attempted to justify the high postage later.

John

ukmonkey;6992661

once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors … once sold a pair of brand new trainers and the winning bid lived 2 doors down, he could not believe it when i knocked on his door, quickest delivery ever..

Ha wi that would happen more often with me

I once sold a car part,the buyer complained it wasn't an OE part,i never said it was in the listing,told him if he wasn't happy to return it and i'd refund minus postage as it wasn't my error,he'd read the listing wrong.

Cut a long story short,he insisted on being refunded the postage,i said no,he said he'd call personally for it,he lived a few hundred miles away and he did,he turned up one Saturday morning!!

The Police ended up being called as he kept harrassing me!

Original Poster

deb8z;6993357

I once sold a car part,the buyer complained it wasn't an OE part,i never … I once sold a car part,the buyer complained it wasn't an OE part,i never said it was in the listing,told him if he wasn't happy to return it and i'd refund minus postage as it wasn't my error,he'd read the listing wrong.Cut a long story short,he insisted on being refunded the postage,i said no,he said he'd call personally for it,he lived a few hundred miles away and he did,he turned up one Saturday morning!!The Police ended up being called as he kept harrassing me!

eekkk nasty

deb8z;6993357

I once sold a car part,the buyer complained it wasn't an OE part,i never … I once sold a car part,the buyer complained it wasn't an OE part,i never said it was in the listing,told him if he wasn't happy to return it and i'd refund minus postage as it wasn't my error,he'd read the listing wrong.Cut a long story short,he insisted on being refunded the postage,i said no,he said he'd call personally for it,he lived a few hundred miles away and he did,he turned up one Saturday morning!!The Police ended up being called as he kept harrassing me!

THAT FOOT IN YOUR AVVY SHOULD HAVE GONE UP HIS ARSE:thumbsup:

raptorcigs;6998757

THAT FOOT IN YOUR AVVY SHOULD HAVE GONE UP HIS ARSE:thumbsup:

If i wasn't quite disturbed by it,i would have done lol

When he turned up at the door i was here alone so never answered the door,later that day he messaged describing the car on the drive and how nice it was:w00t:

Had to print off all the messages he sent me for the Police.

sold item wednesday, buyer paid by paypal posted an item on friday afternoon, the buyer made a paypal claim as he had not received them at 6am monday morning, so paypal asked me for a tracking reference.
    I had posted with proof of postage (but not recorded) thus
    paypal refunded buyer , result i'm out of pocket £32 and have no goods

the buyer gets said item for free

i asked paypal if they always refund fraudulent buyers who claim they have not received goods if no tracking reference is provided they said yes

motto buy stuff on ebay if its only got a stamp on it claim a refund via paypal.
    you can get anything for free

ps. only criminals should do this, although the likelihood of having a criminal record is slim

Sold a parcel to a Michael Hunt. I laughed for a good 20 minutes when I parceled that one up!

I sold a 9700 pro graphics card on ebay when I was in uni, the guy who bought it turned out to live in the same Uni Halls as me! I had it delivered to him in under 10 mins along with a few beers

I also sold a 9500 non pro at Uni and the guy lived about 5 mins walk away. He came to collect it at about midnight and we spent about 3 hours chatting computers and overclocking!

Ah the joys of uni!

Bought a zune off ebay, described as new. Was not, in the process of paypal claim.

Sold a big skateboard quarterpipe ramp last winter when we had all that snow. I gave the buyer all the measurements and told them they needed a trailer to take it away as the nuts and bolts had rusted and we couldn't dis-assemble it. They said they would, but then turned up in a people carrier and of course it wouldn't fit in. We roped it as best we could but they had to drive about 100 miles home with it hanging out the back with the tailgate open in sub zero temps.

Sold a art book on ebay for about 75p with free delivery (Just wanted rid of it), was round about when the postal strikes were on, and I emailed the seller to say it may be delayed due to the postal strike. He emailed back saying he had not received it yet and when will it be delivered.... anyway after a few weeks he emailed me to say that he could only give me neutral feedback as there was a mark inside the book and he had to ask about the delievery... It cost 75p jeso!! really annoyed me!

I think the worst ones are the people who bid on your items and never pay! why would you bid for something and not pay for it??
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Gaming Monitor33
      2. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?11
      3. Car park fine UKPC55
      4. debenhams lancome order11

See more discussions