Your thoughts on the car scrappage ideas?

Found 17th Mar 2009
I'm interested to find out what other people think about the scrappage scheme that people are talking about.

£2k or something when you trade in a car over 10 years old for new.

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
24 Comments

Original Poster

I think it's stupid, its just going to entice lots of people to get into more debt, what we need is lower prices.

i agree. they give you two grand, so that goes when you buy a new car and then you get stuck with the added price of whatever vehicle you buy! bloody stupid in my own personal opinion. not worth getting into debt

The other side to this is that it will stimulate the new car market, reduce the risk of redundancies and the owners will (probably) have lower emission cars and lower car tax........

It may also help the used car market - a glut of used cars "could" mean lower prices on used cars (although you would get less when you trade yours in). Then again if the car is over 10 years old - it won't be worth very much any way...

I think it's a good idea if two criteria can be met:

The new vehicle is more environmentally friendly.
The purchases is financially sound.

people can make money from it if you buy cheap used cars for less than £500 you can get £2000 for it if you scrap it. old car prices will shoot up..

It's a very good incentive for many people, if you cannot afford it you don't do it, an individual has to use some common sense, if a person gets into crazy amounts of debt it's totally their fault.

danib;4664618

people can make money from it if you buy cheap used cars for less than … people can make money from it if you buy cheap used cars for less than £500 you can get £2000 for it if you scrap it. old car prices will shoot up..

Let me just add that you don't get 2k cash, you get 2k towards the purchase of a new car.

danib;4664618

people can make money from it if you buy cheap used cars for less than … people can make money from it if you buy cheap used cars for less than £500 you can get £2000 for it if you scrap it. old car prices will shoot up..

Wouldn't be surprised if you had to proove ownership for a certain length of time.

danib;4664618

Means you wont be able to buy anything second hand for less than 2K

Anyone who thinks this idea is "GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT" has fallen for all the "green" bs that we are being fed. More damage is done to the environment in the production of a car than is produced during the rest of it's "life". We should therefore be encouraging people to maintain their existing vehicles and keeping them running well for as long as possible, not scrapping them and buying new ones.

Jefflan22;4664702

Means you wont be able to buy anything second hand for less than 2K

Not every car worth less than £2000 would be traded in against a new car.

Original Poster

A main gripe for me is it provides no long term solution to the car industry that is at the moment over producing cars and attempting to sell them above market value.

Banned

It's a total load of TOSH!
My car is over ten years old and for a good reason.
I could only afford £1,000.
So, how is someone in my situation going to afford a £10,000 car?
HORLICKS!!!!

eldudereno;4664745

Not every car worth less than £2000 would be traded in against a new car.

Don't agree.
Anyone buying a new car but not having a trade in would look for any old banger to get the 2K reduction. Making the value of anything up to 1.5K artificialy inflated.
Imho

Nothing would tempt me to buy a new car and I would'nt do it in any case just to help the motor manufacturers . Nothing wrong in owning an older car .I had a Capri for 16 years , totaly maintained and went through it's MOT no problems .My Vectra is 12 years old and is still going strong , a 2.0DI with 50 mpg . Why would I want to change it for a new one . I can imagine in future our poxy government forcing us to scrap our cars after 4 or 5 years and use it as a environment issue .

good idea

matt2472;4664724

Anyone who thinks this idea is "GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT" has fallen for … Anyone who thinks this idea is "GOOD FOR THE ENVIRONMENT" has fallen for all the "green" bs that we are being fed. More damage is done to the environment in the production of a car than is produced during the rest of it's "life". We should therefore be encouraging people to maintain their existing vehicles and keeping them running well for as long as possible, not scrapping them and buying new ones.

Cradle to grave lifecycle analsys to back up this comment? Thought not.

Now the fact; vehicle manufacture (according to vehicle manufacturers) creates about 0.6 tonnes of CO2 (the actual figure of cradle to grave is more like 1.8 tonnes). The average car (say 140 g/km) will produce this every 13,000 km (and that's not a cradle to grave figure either!). Thus a small improvement in MPG for a given performance will offset any additional CO2 values.

I could go into types of materials used, recycling, current recycling of end of use vehicles etc. to back up the other sides to it too, but the above is probably enough for now.

pghstochaj;4667707

Cradle to grave lifecycle analsys to back up this comment? Thought … Cradle to grave lifecycle analsys to back up this comment? Thought not.Now the fact; vehicle manufacture (according to vehicle manufacturers) creates about 0.6 tonnes of CO2 (the actual figure of cradle to grave is more like 1.8 tonnes). The average car (say 140 g/km) will produce this every 13,000 km (and that's not a cradle to grave figure either!). Thus a small improvement in MPG for a given performance will offset any additional CO2 values.I could go into types of materials used, recycling, current recycling of end of use vehicles etc. to back up the other sides to it too, but the above is probably enough for now.

Now go back and read my post again. Did I mention CO2 anywhere? There is more to this than just CO2. I too can quote figures but to be honest I've got far better things to do with my time than spend a couple of hours typing things that most readers on here don't want to read.

As for current recycling of end of use vehicles the best form of this has been going on for years. It's called scrap yards or car breakers and the Government is doing there best to stop it.

Read the final paragraph of my comment; it applies throughout, not just CO2. Of course CO2 is a major issue, not to be ignored. Furthermore, if you full understood the differences now in car manufacture and end of use then you wouldn't be saying comments such that scrap yards are the preference.

Jefflan22;4665544

Don't agree.Anyone buying a new car but not having a trade in would look … Don't agree.Anyone buying a new car but not having a trade in would look for any old banger to get the 2K reduction. Making the value of anything up to 1.5K artificialy inflated.Imho

It's naive to think that they haven't thought of this, as I said in my previous post and in Germany where they are actually running a similar scheme, you would have to proove an extended ownership of the so called banger that you were trading in.

cow farts damage the environment more than any car or production of any car so stop arguing

Wait, how does this stop ppl who want to buy a new car by buying an old one say for £500, then scrapping that and getting a new car

kungfu;4693397

cow farts damage the environment more than any car or production of any … cow farts damage the environment more than any car or production of any car so stop arguing

Would sticking a cork up a cow's backside help do you reckon?

Chidda;4693649

Wait, how does this stop ppl who want to buy a new car by buying an old … Wait, how does this stop ppl who want to buy a new car by buying an old one say for £500, then scrapping that and getting a new car

You have to have owned the car for the last 12 months
Post a comment
@
    Text