Your Worst Interviews

Found 4th Oct 2017
My worst interview took place last August when I the interview panel consisted of one man and one women. The male saw me as a threat and tried to showoff to his colleague by belittling me. I lost my calmness, swore and walked out.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
One of the few times I attended the interview where I didn't know the salary beforehand, it was advertised as "Highly Competitive with awesome package" was with a small company who had somehow managed to land a multi million pound project with a Car manufacturer and now needed someone with the skills to deliver the project.

First interview went great, second was with the MD and a senior exec from the car company, the MD offered me the job and wanting to talk numbers. He opened up with a number that was a third of what that you would expect for the role.

I stood up and said we are wasting each others time. Goodbye. The look on their faces was worth my lost time and petrol.

The MD rang me another 3 times that day with increased offers and promises of Jam tomorrow. But the trust and any faith in the MDs leadership ship skills was long gone.

A few weeks later he rang and crowed he had found a fantastic candidate for the original money he offered me. 4 months later that project was with another company.
I am so sorry that you felt so bad during the interview but I really wasn't trying to belittle you.
mutley16 m ago

I have been to quite a few interviews over the years as I move jobs …I have been to quite a few interviews over the years as I move jobs frequently. Some of those were really really bad.

I should imagine they thought the same.
35 Comments
My worst one was fairly recently for a huge pharma company. The main guy was so full of himself, he’d ask me a question and then in the middle of answering interrupt me going “yeah yeah ok so you know that answer” told me I obviously wasn’t at a professional level in my career, and likely never reach his status. The list goes on! Cried when I left, then he offered me the job! Needless to say, despite being twice my current salary I turned it down. Sometimes these people forget you’re also scoping them out for a lifetime career too.. they have to sell themselves!
One of the few times I attended the interview where I didn't know the salary beforehand, it was advertised as "Highly Competitive with awesome package" was with a small company who had somehow managed to land a multi million pound project with a Car manufacturer and now needed someone with the skills to deliver the project.

First interview went great, second was with the MD and a senior exec from the car company, the MD offered me the job and wanting to talk numbers. He opened up with a number that was a third of what that you would expect for the role.

I stood up and said we are wasting each others time. Goodbye. The look on their faces was worth my lost time and petrol.

The MD rang me another 3 times that day with increased offers and promises of Jam tomorrow. But the trust and any faith in the MDs leadership ship skills was long gone.

A few weeks later he rang and crowed he had found a fantastic candidate for the original money he offered me. 4 months later that project was with another company.
I am so sorry that you felt so bad during the interview but I really wasn't trying to belittle you.
davewave33 m ago

I am so sorry that you felt so bad during the interview but I really …I am so sorry that you felt so bad during the interview but I really wasn't trying to belittle you.

You were trying to come on to him but ya games off a little lately, never go full alpha at the start.
I have been to quite a few interviews over the years as I move jobs frequently. Some of those were really really bad.
mutley16 m ago

I have been to quite a few interviews over the years as I move jobs …I have been to quite a few interviews over the years as I move jobs frequently. Some of those were really really bad.

Overs the years its quite telling who have had training in interviews and who haven't. Its very telling who is using the interview as a method of exercising control over others and forgetting that an interview is two way.

I did once overhear a washup meeting of an public sector interview panel, who proudly announced that they had a great day and hired "4 ethnics", and two of them ticked 3 additional diversity boxes. I refused to do any interviews for them as it was just a box ticking exercise and sod all to do with selecting the best candidate, combined with some rampant nepotism.
Nat_urally2 h, 13 m ago

My worst one was fairly recently for a huge pharma company. The main guy …My worst one was fairly recently for a huge pharma company. The main guy was so full of himself, he’d ask me a question and then in the middle of answering interrupt me going “yeah yeah ok so you know that answer” told me I obviously wasn’t at a professional level in my career, and likely never reach his status. The list goes on! Cried when I left, then he offered me the job! Needless to say, despite being twice my current salary I turned it down. Sometimes these people forget you’re also scoping them out for a lifetime career too.. they have to sell themselves!

I find this very hard to believe.
if offered a job that I had applied to (rather than something random a recruitment agency approached me with) and was then offered it, for twice my current salary, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in accepting it, and overlooking what is a minor issue with one employee.
Also, anyone who thinks interviews and employment are a two way thing should think again.
Yes, in theory it should be a two way thing, but unless you have some niche skills and it's a niche job, all the cards are held by the employer.
In this day and age one cannot be overly fussy unless their skills are highly in demand, which I think doesn't apply to the majority.
Oddest interview I've ever had was about 15 years ago where one of the women on the panel, who would have been my boss, was repeatedly slagging off the person who used to be in the job. Only interview I've ever had where I would have turned down the job if they'd offered it me.
Edited by: "spoo" 4th Oct 2017
deeky1 h, 24 m ago

32170807-IxdcI.jpg
i like a good interview!!

I had an interview many years back where there were 2 jobs available, and there were 12 of us invited for a two day interview process, including group activities, problem solving, spatial awareness and mental arithmetic tests, and a 20 min presentation amongst other things.
So for 2 days we all went through the process, and at the end we each had our individual interviews, before there was a get together at the end. At this final meeting we were introduced to the head of the department who had been on holiday previously, who immediately walked up to two of the candidates, shook their hands, and mentioned about having them round for dinner again and arranging a round of golf!
At this point there were a number of candidates who got up, swore profusely and made it very clear how much they thought it was a total waste of time. Massively unprofessional. Guess who got the jobs....
I think one of the worst was where they were trying to assert their authority by being intimidating verbally and with their posture. He had a massive guard dog with him at the interview, who I think was supposed to be fierce and scary.

I looked at the dog and I think it was pleased to see a friendly face, rather than a miserable scowling one. Came and plopped itself down by my feet and I stroked it's head. I could see the bloke was most upset. My interview lasted about a minute and a half after that. Didn't get the job, which was probably a blessing. I hope he didn't kick the dog or something after I left.
Lose your cool in a safe environment like an interview and there's no telling what you'll do in the real world.
MSK.1 h, 49 m ago

..... He had a massive guard dog with him at the interview, who I think …..... He had a massive guard dog with him at the interview, who I think was supposed to be fierce and scary. I looked at the dog and I think it was pleased to see a friendly face, rather than a miserable scowling one. Came and plopped itself down by my feet and I stroked it's head. I could see the bloke was most upset. My interview lasted about a minute and a half after that. Didn't get the job, which was probably a blessing. I hope he didn't kick the dog or something after I left.

Why did he feel the need to bring along a guard dog for your interview? What had the recruitment agency told him about you?
Saturn1 h, 33 m ago

Why did he feel the need to bring along a guard dog for your interview? …Why did he feel the need to bring along a guard dog for your interview? What had the recruitment agency told him about you?

Must've mentioned my claws or something. It wasn't through an agency actually, it was quite along time ago now, when I really was a kitten.
Can I buck the trend here and mention that I've only ever been for 4 job interviews and been successful on each occasion?
deeky3 m ago

Can I buck the trend here and mention that I've only ever been for 4 job …Can I buck the trend here and mention that I've only ever been for 4 job interviews and been successful on each occasion?

Fake Agent?
Destard9 h, 59 m ago

I find this very hard to believe.if offered a job that I had applied to …I find this very hard to believe.if offered a job that I had applied to (rather than something random a recruitment agency approached me with) and was then offered it, for twice my current salary, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in accepting it, and overlooking what is a minor issue with one employee.

I can assure it’s very much fact. I’m very good with money and live quite comfortably on my current salary, albeit not a high one. I could see that I would be miserable working there, the interviewer would have been my direct manager. Also I was approached in LinkedIn, not that that makes much difference really. I know it’s hard to believe, I battled with the decision for 2 months, I enjoy my current role enough that I felt like I could wait until the perfect job came along instead of one I knew would make me feel miserable. Lord knows everyone around me thought I was stupid for not taking it. Just wasn’t heading myself down that “I hate my job” road! (also if that sounds stupid, I had just snapped myself out of a depression of sorts and definitely was scared to go back to feeling like that.)
MSK.7 h, 8 m ago

I think one of the worst was where they were trying to assert their …I think one of the worst was where they were trying to assert their authority by being intimidating verbally and with their posture. He had a massive guard dog with him at the interview, who I think was supposed to be fierce and scary. I looked at the dog and I think it was pleased to see a friendly face, rather than a miserable scowling one. Came and plopped itself down by my feet and I stroked it's head. I could see the bloke was most upset. My interview lasted about a minute and a half after that. Didn't get the job, which was probably a blessing. I hope he didn't kick the dog or something after I left.

Was it to become a drug dealer? Didn't know they interviewed for that.
Nat_urally39 m ago

I can assure it’s very much fact. I’m very good with money and live quite c …I can assure it’s very much fact. I’m very good with money and live quite comfortably on my current salary, albeit not a high one. I could see that I would be miserable working there, the interviewer would have been my direct manager. Also I was approached in LinkedIn, not that that makes much difference really. I know it’s hard to believe, I battled with the decision for 2 months, I enjoy my current role enough that I felt like I could wait until the perfect job came along instead of one I knew would make me feel miserable. Lord knows everyone around me thought I was stupid for not taking it. Just wasn’t heading myself down that “I hate my job” road! (also if that sounds stupid, I had just snapped myself out of a depression of sorts and definitely was scared to go back to feeling like that.)

I'm glad you are not in a situation where the money is important.
catbeans7 m ago

Was it to become a drug dealer? Didn't know they interviewed for that.

No, I was my own boss back then
MSK.41 m ago

Was there much money to be made selling catnip back then?
Edited by: "barriey" 4th Oct 2017
32177973-IztGX.jpg
MSK.1 h, 58 m ago

32178253-Q0G1Z.jpg
I'm hopeless in interviews. Always nervous and not good at selling myself, if I don't have an answer for a question I will openly saw sorry don't have an answer for that. I was once told by my boss that the interview that got me my job was the worst he's ever given.

I never have a problem getting jobs though, I got offered 6 jobs last year when I wasnt even looking for a new job really, just seeing what was available.
Banned
666FU21 m ago

I'm hopeless in interviews.

Dont forget those interviewing are just as crap x
Destard16 h, 6 m ago

I'm glad you are not in a situation where the money is important.

Of course it’s important, but without sounding cliche, if I can manage financially on the little I already make (and I’m talking sub 20K) because I’ve always been good with my money I believe I’m lucky enough to be able to put my own happiness in front of a purely monetary decision.
Nat_urally18 m ago

Of course it’s important, but without sounding cliche, if I can manage f …Of course it’s important, but without sounding cliche, if I can manage financially on the little I already make (and I’m talking sub 20K) because I’ve always been good with my money I believe I’m lucky enough to be able to put my own happiness in front of a purely monetary decision.

A good situation to be in.
666FU10 h, 21 m ago

I'm hopeless in interviews. Always nervous and not good at selling myself, …I'm hopeless in interviews. Always nervous and not good at selling myself, if I don't have an answer for a question I will openly saw sorry don't have an answer for that. I was once told by my boss that the interview that got me my job was the worst he's ever given. I never have a problem getting jobs though, I got offered 6 jobs last year when I wasnt even looking for a new job really, just seeing what was available.

I would always prefer a candidate to say that they didn't know the answer rather than try and blag it.
Or do the classic exam trick and answer a question you haven't asked.
I hate interviews. I had one once when I was young with a large older lady where after the interview ended we chatted for almost 2 hours after, she wouldn't let me go. I naturally thought that's in the bag then and she didn't give me the job! Wtf?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants