Youtube setup

Found 13th Oct 2017
My stepson has asked for a youtube recording setup for xmas, can anyone give me any advice on what pc/laptop would work best & if there's anything else he'd need.
He wants to record himself playing his xbox, I have no idea where to begin!!
Max budget of £500
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I would not you need a Elgato or something. How old is he?
Might struggle with £500 I'm afraid, i built a PC for myself for £600 and still struggles with some basics with editing. Also depends what xbox he has, Xboxone will allow you to record via the xbox itself, which would make things easier.
Original Poster
drewbles8226 m ago

Might struggle with £500 I'm afraid, i built a PC for myself for £600 and s …Might struggle with £500 I'm afraid, i built a PC for myself for £600 and still struggles with some basics with editing. Also depends what xbox he has, Xboxone will allow you to record via the xbox itself, which would make things easier.

He has the xbox one.
I'm happy to go for 2nd hand, refurbished, etc if that suits the budget better. I'm just clueless as to the basics I should be looking for.
Edited by: "kevandkeira" 13th Oct 2017
kevandkeira24 m ago

He has the xbox one.I'm happy to go for 2nd hand, refurbished, etc if that …He has the xbox one.I'm happy to go for 2nd hand, refurbished, etc if that suits the budget better. I'm just clueless as to the basics I should be looking for.

Okay just did a quick bit of research for you. Xbox one does do the recording for you. So basically he needs a onedrive or external harddrive to put the video game clips his recording on. Then download them to the PC for editing.
Editing wise, there are many free editing software available now, or he could use the very basic youtube editing.
Not sure on PC, refurb maybe a good option its getting the right spec but you can usually upgrade with a PC as well
YouTube has removed it's free editing suite so you will need your own. I used to use Windows moviemaker but now use Kdenlive as I have a Linux system for editing and uploading to YouTube
amazon.co.uk/Elg…h=1

Then a software, maority of peole use adobe premier pro, or final cut pro, these are pricey but if you do some research you can get it for free (T0RRENTS)

then for audio he can use what he has, assuming he has some headphones or headset alreaydy? last thing would be a pc

Then he needs a computer he can edit on, it might bee to complicated cause you need the xbox connected to the hd capture card then end of that lead plugs into a pc, is there room for a pc in that room?
Original Poster
whelan18921 h, 23 m ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgato-Capture-Stream-1080p60-PlayStation/dp/B01DRWCOGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1507978675&sr=8-3&keywords=elgato&th=1Then a software, maority of peole use adobe premier pro, or final cut pro, these are pricey but if you do some research you can get it for free (T0RRENTS) then for audio he can use what he has, assuming he has some headphones or headset alreaydy? last thing would be a pcThen he needs a computer he can edit on, it might bee to complicated cause you need the xbox connected to the hd capture card then end of that lead plugs into a pc, is there room for a pc in that room?

£160 just for a gaming capture
Is that 100% needed?
Yes he has room for a pc directly below his tv, any recommendations for pc specs I should be looking out for?
There is a local church run charity near me that refurbishes pc's, they currently have a desktop with an i5 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive but its windows 8, £200 including monitor, mouse, keyboard. Does that sound any good?
kevandkeira2 h, 21 m ago

£160 just for a gaming capture Is that 100% needed?Yes he has room for …£160 just for a gaming capture Is that 100% needed?Yes he has room for a pc directly below his tv, any recommendations for pc specs I should be looking out for? There is a local church run charity near me that refurbishes pc's, they currently have a desktop with an i5 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive but its windows 8, £200 including monitor, mouse, keyboard. Does that sound any good?

I would say capture card is the main tool, computer does not have to be that powerful as I assume he would only be doing basic edits, and for a pc I would seriosly only buy a pc now with a SSD then a hardrive for storage, because hardrive make the computer so damn slow,

something like this

ebay.co.uk/itm…sTo

So this and capture card would be perfect, then i'd suggest asking relatives to get him keyboard and mouse, i would go wireless as wires are so annoying
kevandkeira2 h, 23 m ago

£160 just for a gaming capture Is that 100% needed?Yes he has room for …£160 just for a gaming capture Is that 100% needed?Yes he has room for a pc directly below his tv, any recommendations for pc specs I should be looking out for? There is a local church run charity near me that refurbishes pc's, they currently have a desktop with an i5 processor, 8gb ram, 1tb hard drive but its windows 8, £200 including monitor, mouse, keyboard. Does that sound any good?

oh and you download windows 7 iso fom piratebay and burn it to a memory stick with the official windows tool and put in computer when it boots up to install it, cost nothing
Original Poster
whelan18915th Oct

oh and you download windows 7 iso fom piratebay and burn it to a memory …oh and you download windows 7 iso fom piratebay and burn it to a memory stick with the official windows tool and put in computer when it boots up to install it, cost nothing

I've been looking on 2nd hand sites & came across an old gaming pc. It's a spider man design case which he would love, it's free, but it's currently running vista!! Is there any way to update this?
If it is possible we would also have to replace the internal components, are there any sites that help with self build advice?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants