"You've lost something... like your legs"

31 replies
Found 18th Oct 2009
A soldier from Somerset who lost both legs and his right arm while serving in Afghanistan has been subjected to cruel taunts over his injuries.

Sapper Matthew Weston, 20, from Taunton, stepped on a bomb while on patrol in Helmand Province on 29 June.

While he was being treated at Selly Oak hospital in Birmingham his mother took him out shopping where they encountered a group of "boisterous" youths.

Rena Weston, 40, said: "They shouted he's lost something... like his legs".

Shooting team

Speaking from the family home Mrs Weston said: "They were laughing at what they thought was a very funny statement to make.

"We continued around the corner and I put my arms around Matthew and said, 'are you okay love?'

"He just went silent. Then he said, 'I suppose I had better get used to it for the rest of my life.'

"I don't think anyone, no matter what their disability, should be treated like that," said Mrs Weston.

Since the incident Sapper Weston has finished his treatment at Selly Oak hospital.

"He's determined to stay in the Army," said Mrs Weston.

"He has trialled with the 2012 Paralympics shooting team and he's going to receive coaching and possibly be in the team, which will be a great boost for Matthew.

"We have got no choice. We have got to get on with it."

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
31 Comments

Saw this on BBC News yesterday; shocking. They interviewed the wounded soldier and he was very laid back about it really, which in a way makes it even worse that there are so many idiots around that would abuse him. Hope he achives his Olympic abitions.

if someone said tht to one of my relatives whod been through tht id have ripped their ****ing legs off :x

How cruel. So much inconsideration in the world.

I dont get, if he's from Taunton why's he being treated at Selly Oak?

Doesn't surprise me at all, such a massive lack of respect in this county for emergency services, and the armed forces.

ClarityofMind;6616160

How cruel. So much inconsideration in the world. I dont get, if he's from … How cruel. So much inconsideration in the world. I dont get, if he's from Taunton why's he being treated at Selly Oak?

Military hospital.

Lulu'sMammy;6616169

Military hospital.

Ahhh, thanks hun. I didn't know the hospital in Selly Oak was a military hosp.

Lulu'sMammy;6616165

Doesn't surprise me at all, such a massive lack of respect in this county … Doesn't surprise me at all, such a massive lack of respect in this county for emergency services, and the armed forces.

Indeed.

ClarityofMind;6616180

Ahhh, thanks hun. I didn't know the hospital in Selly Oak was a military … Ahhh, thanks hun. I didn't know the hospital in Selly Oak was a military hosp.

Its not specifically, they use it for intensivee rehab etc. My mates there at the mo learning to deal with losing his sight.

scum....need a good pasting

Can't believe anyone is at all surprised. This country is being overrun by dirty, vile, foul-mouthed, drug addled, alocholic, thieving, viscious, inconsiderate, ill mannered, ignorant, hateful scroats. :-D

Yeah, they fly C17's and Tristars into Birmingham every so often bringing casualties in.

Lulu'sMammy;6616197

Its not specifically, they use it for intensivee rehab etc. My mates … Its not specifically, they use it for intensivee rehab etc. My mates there at the mo learning to deal with losing his sight.

Oh. I thought I was your only mate.

Brown needs to grow some balls and get some secret police to beat the **** out of these sort of people

deek72;6616221

Can't believe anyone is at all surprised. This country is being overrun … Can't believe anyone is at all surprised. This country is being overrun by dirty, vile, foul-mouthed, drug addled, alocholic, thieving, viscious, inconsiderate, ill mannered, ignorant, hateful scroats. :-D

Why you describing me? Muwahahahahah Decka!

Lulu'sMammy;6616197

Its not specifically, they use it for intensivee rehab etc. My mates … Its not specifically, they use it for intensivee rehab etc. My mates there at the mo learning to deal with losing his sight.

I know they do lots of work there around loss of vision, we used to call it Selly hell... theres a big campus in Brum near Five Ways Island on the edge of Edgbaston for those with reduced sight.

deek72;6616233

Oh. I thought I was your only mate.

Nah, i just wanna sleep with you

deek72;6616221

Can't believe anyone is at all surprised. This country is being overrun … Can't believe anyone is at all surprised. This country is being overrun by dirty, vile, foul-mouthed, drug addled, alocholic, thieving, viscious, inconsiderate, ill mannered, ignorant, hateful scroats. :-D

+1....

Lulu'sMammy;6616235

Why you describing me? Muwahahahahah Decka!

Nah, you're not viscious.:-D

Banned

ClarityofMind;6616160

How cruel. So much inconsideration in the world.

They were probably "ballers"

Anything for a bit of attention or make themselves feel better that they actually have something in their life that someone else hasn't. This taunt is particularly nasty. Hopefully, he can put the experience behind him and the taunters at some point in the future appreciate how cruel what they said was.

ClarityofMind;6616237

I know they do lots of work there around loss of vision, we used to call … I know they do lots of work there around loss of vision, we used to call it Selly hell... theres a big campus in Brum near Five Ways Island on the edge of Edgbaston for those with reduced sight.

Its a tip, the hospital is heavily financed by the armed forces and has no excuse really for being in this state. Still, suppose the staff should get some credit from all the post war scenarios that happen on the wards during the night, good job no guns are present i tell ya!!

guv;6616269

They were probably "ballers"Anything for a bit of attention or make … They were probably "ballers"Anything for a bit of attention or make themselves feel better that they actually have something in their life that someone else hasn't. This taunt is particularly nasty. Hopefully, he can put the experience behind him and the taunters at some point in the future appreciate how cruel what they said was.

I doubt people who are this cruel have the capacity to understand how much pain their words and actions can cause others.

Banned

ClarityofMind;6616288

I doubt people who are this cruel have the capacity to understand how … I doubt people who are this cruel have the capacity to understand how much pain their words and actions can cause others.

Agreed.... but I did say hopefully!

Lulu'sMammy;6616238

Nah, i just wanna sleep with you

I knew this was coming, it was only a matter of time. You've seen my pic. Can you believe that I've had one or two women actually VOMIT with the excitement of seeing me in the flesh?
I kid you not.

guv;6616301

Agreed.... but I did say hopefully!

I think guilt can leak out in other ways... but then there's always ways the psyche can find to minimise it. Denial of responsibility, anger, "it was a joke".... all that jazz.

Banned

ClarityofMind;6616358

I think guilt can leak out in other ways... but then there's always ways … I think guilt can leak out in other ways... but then there's always ways the psyche can find to minimise it. Denial of responsibility, anger, "it was a joke".... all that jazz.

Yes.. The line "but it was just a joke" does seem to be over used.

guv;6616389

Aint that the truth. :?

deek72;6616350

I knew this was coming, it was only a matter of time. You've seen my pic. … I knew this was coming, it was only a matter of time. You've seen my pic. Can you believe that I've had one or two women actually VOMIT with the excitement of seeing me in the flesh?I kid you not.

I don't doubt that for a second, you are clearly steak rather than mince!

Original Poster

guv;6616389

ClarityofMind;6616448

Aint that the truth. :?

Along with

I'm not racist but .....
No offence, but .....

peodude;6616457

Along withI'm not racist but .....No offence, but .....

Or "yeah baby, lets go for it"

Banned

Poor kid.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.77
    2. Building a PC Need Help!44
    3. A dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G67
    4. Whey protien512

See more discussions