Groups

Zavvi Clearout for Real or Woolie Con ?

Went into Zavvi (in leeds) Zavvi were claiming they were having 50 Percent sales, most items were 10% and 20% off. Has anyone found any real bargains, and any ideas when the stores will be closing.

Dualshock 3 for 39.99 (huh)
    Xbox games retailing at 49.99 (huh)
    Could even find any Lenny Henry humour anywhere in the store...(bad joke)

And they wonder why they went out of business (never relie on Internet sales)

6 Comments

And they wonder why they went out of business

Completely uninformed.

They went in to administration after Entertainment UK, their supplier and owned by Woolworths, asked them to repay their debt of several million pounds which clearly any company is going to struggle to do. As I understand it from my brother in law, who was up until last week a Zavvi store manager, Virgin underwrote some of that debt and so some of it has been paid off making Zavvi a much more attractive business for someone else to buy and carry on with.

Although the 'Zavvi Outlet' stores are now closed (where my brother in law worked) the main stores are still open and they're looking for a buyer, so they'll not be having a Woolworths style sell-off for a while.

If you can find stock, there are a few bargains.
    Picked up 2 myself yesterday with 20% off(games):

Me and My Katamari (psp) was £4.99 (with 20% off = £3.99) *3 Left*

Far Cry instincts predator (360) was £6 (with 20% off = £4.80) *Last one in stock*

This was in Middlesbrough by the way.
    I mean there was more to be had but none really inerested me as I already had them or they were overpriced.

Original Poster

I wish never put that last bit in , Virgin gave Zavvi 50 million for stock (purchases), Zavvi are seeing if they can give back that good will agreement. I am informed, very informed ....That is why I asked the question.

[ news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm ]
    ---
    [SIZE="3"]Zavvi to close another 18 stores[/SIZE]

Page last updated at 10:23 GMT, Wednesday, 14 January 2009

The administrators of music, games and DVD chain Zavvi have announced it is closing a further 18 stores with the loss of 353 jobs.

The group's flagship store in Piccadilly in London, which employs 110 people, is one of the shops to go.

The remaining 74 stores throughout the UK will remain open. The administrator is still hoping to sell the business as a going concern.

The troubled chain has been badly affected by the demise of Woolworths.

"Despite having received in excess of 70 expressions of interest, we have not received any offers for the store portfolio as a whole.

"Consequently, with reducing stock levels, we have had to manage the cost base of the business and close a further 18 stores," said Tom Jack at administrator Ernst & Young.

Last week, the administrator closed 22 Zavvi stores.

Zavvi's main supplier was Woolworths' unit Entertainment UK (EUK), which went into administration in late November.

Since then, Zavvi has had difficulties in sourcing stock and has been forced to enter new trading arrangements.

The Zavvi group is the UK's largest independent entertainment retailer.

It was formed after a management buy-out of the Virgin Megastore division of the Virgin Group in September 2007.

STORE CLOSURES AND JOB LOSSES
    Basingstoke, 16
    Belfast (Castlecourt), 22
    Cambridge, 10
    Cheshire Oaks (Outlet Village), 11
    Crawley, 18
    Londonderry, 15
    Edinburgh (Gyle), 13
    Gateshead, 12
    Glasgow (Argyle St), 18
    Grimsby, 9
    Hull, 19
    Newry, 11
    Newtonabbey, 11
    Piccadilly (Tower), 110
    Romford, 13
    Stevenage, 10
    Watford, 24
    Woking, 11

See also "]Previous store closures"...

ZAVVI STORE CLOSURES
    Ashford (Designer Outlet) (8 staff)
    Ayr (5)
    Bideford (Atlantic Village) (7)
    Braintree (7)
    Braintree (Freeport Village) (7)
    Bridgend (Welsh Designer Outlet Village) (8)
    Castleford Outlet (8)
    Chatham (13)
    Edinburgh (Cameron Toll) (4)
    Hempstead Valley (9)
    High Wycombe (Octagon) (8)
    Huddersfield (7)
    Liverpool (Clayton Square) (28)
    Livingston (McArthur Glen Outlet) (5)
    Manchester (Salford Quays) (5)
    Mansfield (McArthur Glen Outlet) (6)
    Newcastle (Royal Quays) (6)
    Sterling Mills (10)
    Street (Clarks Village) (7)
    Swindon (Great Western Designer Outlet) (8)
    Torquay (5)
    York (McArthur Glen Outlet) (7)

Number of employees in brackets

[SIZE="3"]Zavvi announces 22 store closures[/SIZE]

Page last updated at 11:03 GMT, Thursday, 8 January 2009

The adminstrators of music, games and DVD chain Zavvi have closed 22 of the firm's stores with immediate effect - costing 178 jobs.

The remaining 92 stores will stay open, with a sale of up to 50% off beginning on Friday, Ernst and Young said.

The troubled chain has been badly affected by the demise of Woolworths, which forced it to stop taking new orders via its website.

The administrator said it still aimed to sell Zavvi as a going concern.

"Despite record consumer demand since Christmas, it is no longer possible to support continued trading across all of the Zavvi stores," said Tom Jack of Ernst & Young.

"Unfortunately, the current difficulties faced on the UK High Street seem to be discouraging retailers from investing in a significant number of new stores."

He added there had been 60 expressions of interest in all or part of the business.

Zavvi's main supplier was Woolworths' unit Entertainment UK (EUK), which went into administration in late November.

Since then, Zavvi has had difficulties in sourcing stock and has been forced to enter new trading arrangements.

The Zavvi group is the UK's largest independent entertainment retailer.

It was formed after a management buy-out of the Virgin Megastore division of the Virgin Group in September 2007.
    ---

BFN,

fp.

Just been into the Tottenham Court Road Zavvi in London and picked up Time Out 2009 guides for half price, all dvds and cds are now 25% off marked price too...think they're closing down the stores within the next week or so. Real shame Zavvi is in administration, I loved browsing and buying there.

My local one has gone now and been taken over by HMV...........which now means i have 2 HMV's within a 100 yards of each other.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2024
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1932
      3. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941347
      4. love affairs1756

See more discussions