Zebra ZD420 Direct Thermal Printer - Small Black Dots

Posted 7th Feb
Evening everyone,

I recently purchased a Zebra ZD420 Direct Thermal Printer since I post a fair amount of items.

The printer I purchased 2nd hand and I've noticed that on the label there are small black dots where it should be blank, does anyone have any idea how I sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

3402826-OldNn.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
Just to add, I've tried cleaning the device but to no avail. I feel it's probably one of the settings which need altering but unsure, so if anyone can shed light onto the situation or let me try their settings it would be much appreciated.
Have you tried printing different files/images at all? Does it happen no matter what is printed?
Rusty8207/02/2020 20:26

Have you tried printing different files/images at all? Does it happen no …Have you tried printing different files/images at all? Does it happen no matter what is printed?

Good question. I just held down the middle button to test print and it's perfect.. there are no black dots.

I am just a little baffled why it's happening with other labels. For example, the label above with the dots is from eBay after paying for postage. I opted to print directly in 6x4 so it's had no alterations.

39861202-50p9p.jpg
Edited by: "joshp" 8th Feb
A good few years back I had to write a driver for a Zebra printer under Unix and I'm sure there was a setting for print intensity (or something similar)
I seem to remember Zebra documentation was very good, see if you can get hold of the docs and have a rummage.
andymagic08/02/2020 08:43

A good few years back I had to write a driver for a Zebra printer under …A good few years back I had to write a driver for a Zebra printer under Unix and I'm sure there was a setting for print intensity (or something similar)I seem to remember Zebra documentation was very good, see if you can get hold of the docs and have a rummage.

The documentation is pretty hefty; several hundred pages, but nothing I've tried made much difference.

It's annoying since I don't think it's hardware related, so should be an easy fix.

I may try and create a support ticket with Zebra...
joshp08/02/2020 13:01

The documentation is pretty hefty; several hundred pages, but nothing I've …The documentation is pretty hefty; several hundred pages, but nothing I've tried made much difference. It's annoying since I don't think it's hardware related, so should be an easy fix. I may try and create a support ticket with Zebra...

Have you tried a factory reset on it?

I would say as the test page prints OK it is something to do with the conversion from an image format (Assuming eBay labels are images) I would have a poke around the driver and see if there's any mention of image conversion.
The reason I say this is because the randomness of the dots remind me of printing images on dot matrix printers (yes I'm that old lol)
andymagic08/02/2020 13:56

Have you tried a factory reset on it?I would say as the test page prints …Have you tried a factory reset on it?I would say as the test page prints OK it is something to do with the conversion from an image format (Assuming eBay labels are images) I would have a poke around the driver and see if there's any mention of image conversion.The reason I say this is because the randomness of the dots remind me of printing images on dot matrix printers (yes I'm that old lol)

Talking about dox matrix got me thinking lol... I found this option which could be the solution

Those dots look awfully like what I am having the issue with. I've changed it to Clipart, now I need to test it out

joshp08/02/2020 14:08

Talking about dox matrix got me thinking lol... I found this option which …Talking about dox matrix got me thinking lol... I found this option which could be the solutionThose dots look awfully like what I am having the issue with. I've changed it to Clipart, now I need to test it out [Image] [Image]

Nice, I was thinking dithering or anti aliasing but couldn't remember which term was which, seems you ended up at the thing I meant - how did it go?
andymagic08/02/2020 18:15

Nice, I was thinking dithering or anti aliasing but couldn't remember …Nice, I was thinking dithering or anti aliasing but couldn't remember which term was which, seems you ended up at the thing I meant - how did it go?

Good question, I've actually been unable to test it yet.. I tried reprinting the label from eBay but it told me I've tried too many times now so I guess I'll have to wait til I sell another item to replicate the situation, this could be a few days

I remain hopeful though!
joshp08/02/2020 18:19

Good question, I've actually been unable to test it yet.. I tried …Good question, I've actually been unable to test it yet.. I tried reprinting the label from eBay but it told me I've tried too many times now so I guess I'll have to wait til I sell another item to replicate the situation, this could be a few days I remain hopeful though!

I think you'll be fine with a bit of tweaking, the software is basically deciding what is to be printed and looks a bit overly sensitive.
Best of luck with it.
andymagic08/02/2020 18:26

I think you'll be fine with a bit of tweaking, the software is basically …I think you'll be fine with a bit of tweaking, the software is basically deciding what is to be printed and looks a bit overly sensitive.Best of luck with it.

Finally managed to test it today and yeah, problem is now solved. Thanks for your help!
joshp12/02/2020 15:02

Finally managed to test it today and yeah, problem is now solved. Thanks …Finally managed to test it today and yeah, problem is now solved. Thanks for your help!

Nice, happy to have helped.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants