Found 10th May 2011
I'm trying to download updated firmware for my Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray player from the samsung website but the file is zipped, what does this mean?
Getting message saying Windows needs to know who created this file in order to open it so choose a file or windows can go online and find it! Confused or what! When I choose the option for windows to find it goes to internet explorer and nothing happens.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
13 Comments

Download Winrar mate

rarlab.com/dow…htm

This will unzip/unrar the file.

1. Open the zipped/rared firmware file with Winrar
2. Winrar will open. Click Wizard > Finish.
3. The Folder will be on your desktop and your Firmware file will be in there.

Edited by: "steev08" 10th May 2011

Right click on the file.
If you have an "unzipper" it will give you the option to "Extract Here".

If not, download one(winrar/winzip etc).

Original Poster

Thanks will try that. Although I still haven't got a clue as to what a zipped file/folder is.
Any chance of explaining to me please if its not too long and technical, you see I'm just into looking for stuff and purchasing things from internet, rubbish when it comes to the technical stuff, thats as good as I get with computers although I have learned a few things from HUKD website
Edited by: "cath1510" 10th May 2011

Depending on what version of windows u have, it will have it built in.

Else, get 7-zip

Original Poster

Babbabooey

Depending on what version of windows u have, it will have it built … Depending on what version of windows u have, it will have it built in.Else, get 7-zip

Windows 7

A zipped file is just a compressed file / folder. It takes up less space on the hard drive, and easier to transfer from PC to PC.

Think of a zipped folder as a suitcase with loads of little make-up bags in it then you zip the suitcase up and you have 1 big folder/bag?

Its just a way to store multiple files and folders and make them into 1 file and this in turn compresses them and makes the file smaller in size.

Hope that makes sense? Am sure someone else will explain it better lol.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, your help is much appreciated beginnig to understand it a bit more (I thought a zipped file was something you couldn't or shouldn't open :D)

Thank you

Original Poster

Link I just posted doesn't work. typical for me

Original Poster

Just clicked on the link in the first reply! don't know which one to choose, so many

Original Poster

steev08

Download Winrar matehttp://www.rarlab.com/download.htmThis will … Download Winrar matehttp://www.rarlab.com/download.htmThis will unzip/unrar the file. :)1. Open the zipped/rared firmware file with Winrar2. Winrar will open. Click Wizard > Finish.3. The Folder will be on your desktop and your Firmware file will be in there.

Just clicked on the link you posted don't know which one to choose!

Start > Right click Computer > Properties.

Under System Type it will say 32bit or 64bit. Download the following for what it says.

WinRAR x86 (32 bit) 4.00
WinRAR x64 (64 bit) 4.00
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)96194
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769271
    3. Rewview sites22
    4. Add one, leave one game54315405

See more discussions