Groups

ZoneAlarm

Does anyone else use zonealarm on their pc, how do you find it, as all it appears to do is be a constant pain in the a55. I'm thinking about uninstalling it, but am open to more expertise than my limited knowledge of computers.

9 Comments

been using it for years, no probs with it....

it takes a while to learn about your software, but after that is great...

I have no probs with ZA, I have been using this for years

Banned

I stopped using freebie software for protection of my PC when I got a virus even with Zone Alarm virus software in place!!

To get decent software you have to cough up some dough, but then when you are looking at losing over £1000 worth of laptop, you dont mind really

TBH it's not needed anywhere near as much as it used to be (in the days of Modems and Dial-Up Networking).
    Broadband routers will use NAT to allow your machine talk to the outside world and unless you've specifically opened ports on the router itself, the only communication allowed back in would be replies to requests sent by you. In addition to this, most new routers will have firewall applications.

I have my router configured and Windows Firewall - that's it. I'm sitting behind a NAT'ed IP Address (as most of us are).

It's worth noting however if you have Mobile Broadband, you will need a firewall solution! Since you get a public IP address.

Original Poster

Thanks all - rep added

I stopped using it as it was slowing down my computers. I have found that Microsoft's built-in Firewall works just as well.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;4717997

I stopped using it as it was slowing down my computers. I have found that … I stopped using it as it was slowing down my computers. I have found that Microsoft's built-in Firewall works just as well.

Thats the problem im having, sit for ages waiting for nothing to happen lol

Humphman;4718033

Thats the problem im having, sit for ages waiting for nothing to happen … Thats the problem im having, sit for ages waiting for nothing to happen lol

Just get rid of it! I have five PCs / Laptops at home and none of the have a third party Firewall, and have never in over six years had any problem. Windows Firewall is sufficent (though some will disagree). I tested it out on Shieldsup, and it came out as being perfect.

Original Poster

Predikuesi;4718098

Just get rid of it! I have five PCs / Laptops at home and none of the … Just get rid of it! I have five PCs / Laptops at home and none of the have a third party Firewall, and have never in over six years had any problem. Windows Firewall is sufficent (though some will disagree). I tested it out on Shieldsup, and it came out as being perfect.

will do thanks for help - rep added :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. That’s Life Magazine Issue 33 ends 28th August2626
      2. Free JackpotJoy Plate44
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977

See more discussions