ZOOM Airline's Flights Are Suspended

Found 28th Aug 2008
Just seen this on Sky News Website, hope no HUKD members affected.

"The company, which flew from five airports in the UK, advised customers who have booked and paid for a flight to contact their credit or debit card company for a refund.

British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are offering special fares to help Zoom customers who have been displaced by the suspension of services.

Zoom's demise started when the Canadian-UK carrier had a plane detained at Calgary Airport in Canada last night because of the financial problems.

Then, today, BAA prevented a Canada-bound aircraft from leaving Glasgow after an instruction from UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

BAA Glasgow said the matter concerned the non-payment of charges to European air traffic control company Eurocontrol and to the UK's air traffic control company, Nats.

Zoom hoped it would be able to continue flying after filing notices of intention to appoint an administrator in both the UK and Canada.

But tonight the airline said it had no option but to suspend all operations.

Hugh and John Boyle, the founders of Zoom, said: "The collapse of Zoom is a result of matter beyond our control.

"Only last year Zoom Airlines made profit, but that turned into a loss in the last year due to the unprecedented increase in the price of aviation fuel and the economic climate.

"The price of oil resulted in our fuel bill jumping by nearly $50 million in one year and we could not recover that from passengers who had already booked their flights."

11 Comments

Banned

Hmmmm. Me thinks this will be one of many more to come. I had tickets on Oasis to Hong Kong - which I had luckily cancelled on the day of booking - otherwise I would have ended up stranded in Hong Kong when they went into liquidation.

Not good!

It doesn't shock me. To be honest a low fares ethos approach across the atlantic in these times are a huge gamble. You end up relying on cheap passengers, invariably a lot might rather fly BA or VS or whoever from the US for the comfort factor.

Plus they've been having a few problems with their own aircraft - a chartered air finland aircraft has been doing the routes from LGW for a while.

emasu;2844788

It doesn't shock me. To be honest a low fares ethos approach across the … It doesn't shock me. To be honest a low fares ethos approach across the atlantic in these times are a huge gamble. You end up relying on cheap passengers, invariably a lot might rather fly BA or VS or whoever from the US for the comfort factor.Plus they've been having a few problems with their own aircraft - a chartered air finland aircraft has been doing the routes from LGW for a while.

Mhm. Two got grounded today I think?

I feel kinda guilty having got on last years zoom airlines promo code error and nabbing return flights in premium class for 50 quid return :-)

Hey ho!

my brothers flight got canceled the day before when he was suppose to fly oasis to HK and had to get emirates.

So...

Maxjet
Silverjet
Eos
Zoom

have all gone on the transaltantic hops. That really does just leave the big boys, with the exception of FlyGlobepsan, who seem to be recovering a bit.

I'm going to say the next airline to go bust will be Air Southwest or Skybus (The british one, as opposed to the american one which has already gone bust.)

Air transat emasu

emasu - nice new avvy btw.

i was only looking at flights the other day but i didn't book because i had heard rumours.

]http//ww…om/

I heard their planes are going for a few hundred on ebay :Razz:. Southwest airlines seem to be doing ok from what i have seen. Air transats cra**y little a310s can get out of our country! I guess they wont go bust tho as they dont have to pay as much fuel on the smaller aircraf

i am awaiting the address of the administrators so that i can contact them to reclaim my refund.

anybody else purchased any tickets from flyzoom.!!

surely some compensation will come.

(an address to send in a letter would have been good, so that i could have wrote to them)

:x
Post a comment
@
    Text