Zoos, safari parks and drive-in cinemas are set to reopen in England from Monday

Lead deal editor14
Posted 10th Jun
Looks like Zoos, Safari parks and drive-in cinemas are set to open alongside many 'brick and mortar' shops and re-ope from Monday.

''However, zoos will be told that they must not reopen indoor exhibitions, such as reptile houses, and must ensure amenities including cafes are take-away only.''

Zoos, safari parks and drive-in cinemas are set to reopen in England from Monday, the PM is due to announce.

Boris Johnson is expected to outline the latest step in the easing of the coronavirus lockdown at Wednesday's daily briefing.

He will say the outdoor attractions can reopen as long as they follow social distancing rules.

Some zoos, including Chester Zoo and London Zoo, have reported financial struggles during the pandemic.

The move will pave the way for zoos to reopen in England alongside non-essential shops, which can also open from 15 June.

Business Secretary Alok Sharma said on Tuesday "we continue to meet" the government's five tests for lifting coronavirus lockdown restrictions, so retailers can open as long as they follow safety guidelines.

He also said pubs, bars, restaurants and hairdressers will not be able to reopen until 4 July "at the earliest".

Meanwhile, Mr Johnson will face MPs on Wednesday at Prime Minister's Questions, after the plan for the reopening of all primary schools in England by the summer was ditched by the government.

Earlier this week Chester Zoo - which has been closed since 21 March - said its future was "on a knife edge", despite a government pledge to provide financial support.

And last month London Zoo - closed since 20 March - said it faced an "uncertain future" without immediate support.

Chester Zoo said its future was "on a knife edge" earlier this weekOn Wednesday, the prime minister is expected to announce that outdoor attractions where visitors remain in their cars can reopen because the risk of spreading the disease is lower outside.

However, zoos will be told that they must not reopen indoor exhibitions, such as reptile houses, and must ensure amenities including cafes are take-away only.

A Downing Street official said: "People are continuing to make huge sacrifices to reduce the spread of coronavirus and avoid a second spike, but we know it is tough and where we can safely open up more attractions, and it is supported by the science, we will do so.

"This is by necessity a careful process, but we hope the reopening of safari parks and zoos will help provide families with more options to spend time outdoors while supporting the industry caring for these incredible animals."
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
I for one can’t wait to get out and about. While the lockdown was needed it can’t go on forever, things have to go back to normal one day with or without a vaccine.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 10th Jun
Quite stupid to reopen them now imo
14 Comments
-Will-10/06/2020 07:45

We certainly won’t be going and what about toilets you can’t avoid them unless u stay very close which we don’t !
They have drive in cinemas in Belfast from this weekend, with toilets!! But dunno if I'd be too keen on the toilet situation tho
I for one can’t wait to get out and about. While the lockdown was needed it can’t go on forever, things have to go back to normal one day with or without a vaccine.
Edited by: "Kratos69" 10th Jun

Assume you agree with that it's stupid non-essential shops opening too then?
Go for a wee before going to the drive in cinema.
Hope you all enjoy your trip to COVID heaven - I for one will not be changing my habits of the last few months until there is more certainty regarding the "true" rate of infection.
Finally a chance to spot the elusive and rarely seen blonde yeti - although it does have a tendency to hide in fridges

Jolly good. One less person there is music to my ears!
andyanddiane10/06/2020 09:00

We certainly won’t be going and what about toilets you can’t avoid them unl …We certainly won’t be going and what about toilets you can’t avoid them unless u stay very close which we don’t !

They have people stationed on the toilets managing queues to ensure social distancing and cleaning. Also anti bac stations free to use.

Visitor numbers restricted to keep crowds down.

Distancing from viewing windows, no touching glass.

Indoor areas closed.

Acres and acres of open spaces.

Much much safer than going to Tesco..
Naive question maybe, but why is it a deal?
agrimag10/06/2020 18:13

Naive question maybe, but why is it a deal?

It's not a deal, its posted in discussions.
jmillie2110/06/2020 17:02

Jolly good. One less person there is music to my ears!

Enjoy mate
Excuse my ignorance but it's always been a wish of mine to go to a drive in cinema, but at 36 years old and well travelled I have never seen one in the UK! Where are they all?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants