Found 10th Mar 2009
I bought a pair of 200Mbps Homeplugs a while ago as a backup to the wireless, anyway I thought I should test them out today. Plugged the downstairs one into the ethernet on the back of the BT homehub, then took the other one upstairs to my office but no joy. It keeps saying limited or no connectivity. Tried swapping cables over to eliminate those, still no joy. I then tried plugging the laptop in to a socket in the kitchen and finally by the PC about 6ft from the router. Still no joy... I have tried two laptops, both same result. When I look at the properties of the LAN connection it says its sent packets (around 190 in 34 minutes) but recieved one. is 190 packets in 34 minutes ok? If so does that indicate that altho its getting out nothings coming in? Any ideas of how I can fix? I have tried disabling and re-enabling, Ive also tried the repair function. Stuck now, as thats as far as my networking skills go..

Any pointers would be much obliged. I think I have eliminated the different circuit upstairs possibility by plugging it in in the socket just around the corner from the one its going into.

Thanks

26 Comments

mine had probs cos the 360 end was plugged into a 25m extension that was coiled up, changed it for the shortest i could get away with and worked fine

Original Poster

Yeah I wondered at that but this was straight into the wall, with brand new cat cables.

on your computer go to Control Panel and Network Connections, right click your LAN connection and click properties, Click configure and then advanced. On Link Speed / Duplex Mode change it to 10 Half mode and see if it works.

[COLOR="Red"]make sure everything is pluged in and powered on, then take the power out from the modem and leave out for 1min.
plug the power back into the modem and it will assign IP's to all devices.

this will fix the problem.[/COLOR]

Did you use the utility on the CD to set them up? They must both have the same password set.
Run the utility and look if they are both visible, if only one shows you may need to re-set passwords or one of them is faulty.

Never plug them into surge protected outlets, it greatly reduces throughput.

Hope this helps.

Have you tried connecting your laptop to the router via ethernet? Does the router show any lights when the homeplug is plugged in? Also take an ethernet cable and put one end into switch 1 and switch 2 and see if any lights show. If you get nothing it could be a dud router...

Original Poster

Tanchi;4601653

[COLOR="Red"]make sure everything is pluged in and powered on, then take … [COLOR="Red"]make sure everything is pluged in and powered on, then take the power out from the modem and leave out for 1min.plug the power back into the modem and it will assign IP's to all devices.this will fix the problem.[/COLOR]

Unfortunately it hasnt but thanks for the suggestion.

Original Poster

spann3rs;4601684

Have you tried connecting your laptop to the router via ethernet? Does … Have you tried connecting your laptop to the router via ethernet? Does the router show any lights when the homeplug is plugged in? Also take an ethernet cable and put one end into switch 1 and switch 2 and see if any lights show. If you get nothing it could be a dud router...

Laptop direct into router works fine thanks, unfortunately theres no lights on the back of this homehub.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4601657

Did you use the utility on the CD to set them up? They must both have the … Did you use the utility on the CD to set them up? They must both have the same password set.Run the utility and look if they are both visible, if only one shows you may need to re-set passwords or one of them is faulty.Never plug them into surge protected outlets, it greatly reduces throughput.Hope this helps.

I'l have a look at that, did quickly run it but didnt notice anything about passwords. Thanks.

Original Poster

spann3rs;4601651

on your computer go to Control Panel and Network Connections, right click … on your computer go to Control Panel and Network Connections, right click your LAN connection and click properties, Click configure and then advanced. On Link Speed / Duplex Mode change it to 10 Half mode and see if it works.

Right I'l try that next, thanks.

Do these work on different ring circuits, i.e. one downstairs and one upstairs. Try them with both on the same floor.

If the problem persists call Zyxel Tech Support on 01344 303044 / 0845 122 0303.

They're pretty much plug and play you shouldn't need to fiddle with settings, although I did change the passwords etc. on mine.

Does the HomePlug light (middle one of the three blue lights on the front) come on both units when they're plugged in? If not then they're not detecting each other, in which case you'll need to attach both to a computer (not at the same time, one at a time) with the ZyXEL software installed and make sure they're looking for the right network name and the DAK password's are correct.

If both HomePlug lights are on then the network is established between the two and the problem lies elsewhere. I'd say most likely is the router not assigning IP's properly through DHCP, in which case manually assigning IP addresses or turning everything off and rebooting the router might do the trick.

Original Poster

Slider09;4602073

Do these work on different ring circuits, i.e. one downstairs and one … Do these work on different ring circuits, i.e. one downstairs and one upstairs. Try them with both on the same floor.

Yep tried that too... still no dice.

Original Poster

megalomaniac;4602255

They're pretty much plug and play you shouldn't need to fiddle with … They're pretty much plug and play you shouldn't need to fiddle with settings, although I did change the passwords etc. on mine.Does the HomePlug light (middle one of the three blue lights on the front) come on both units when they're plugged in? If not then they're not detecting each other, in which case you'll need to attach both to a computer (not at the same time, one at a time) with the ZyXEL software installed and make sure they're looking for the right network name and the DAK password's are correct.If both HomePlug lights are on then the network is established between the two and the problem lies elsewhere. I'd say most likely is the router not assigning IP's properly through DHCP, in which case manually assigning IP addresses or turning everything off and rebooting the router might do the trick.

Thanks for the info, with regard to lights - the one downstairs plugged into the router has all three lights on, middle one solid but bottom one flickers on and off. Upstairs the bottom light is off, middle one flickers and top ones solid. I will bring the plug back downstairs and check the lights there also.

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4602089

If the problem persists call Zyxel Tech Support on 01344 303044 / 0845 … If the problem persists call Zyxel Tech Support on 01344 303044 / 0845 122 0303.

Think it might come to that - thanks for the details.

ghinzani;4602898

Thanks for the info, with regard to lights - the one downstairs plugged … Thanks for the info, with regard to lights - the one downstairs plugged into the router has all three lights on, middle one solid but bottom one flickers on and off. Upstairs the bottom light is off, middle one flickers and top ones solid. I will bring the plug back downstairs and check the lights there also.

Top light is just the power light.
Middle light tells you there's a HomePlug connection detected i.e. they can see each other.
Bottom light is the LAN light, that tells you if there's something connected to the unit via the Ethernet cable.

Flashing lights on the LAN means there's data flowing, flashing lights (permanently) on the HomePlug light (middle) means that they can't authenticate with each other, i.e. it's a security issue.

If you plug each one into you computer individually and try the following process:
Fire up the ZyXEL software with one of the HomePlugs powered on and connected to the computer via the network cable and find the device in the large central window of the ZyXEL software (Network Topology I think it's labelled). Once you've found it (usually under Ethernet or similar) then you can set the DAK and network password. The Network password should be the same for both (“HomePlugAV” is the default I think) and the DAK should be the long number located on the back of the other device, enter both in th fields provided and then click save to apply them.

Hopefully once you've done that for both units it should be ok........if not try and get hold of the latest software/firmware from the ZyXEL site.

Original Poster

Thanks for taking the time to help me Megla. When I attach the first plug to the PC and scan all I get is 'Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller' or the wireless controller. The DAK field is greyed out but the Network one allows me to input HomeplugAV.

Original Poster

Same deal with 2nd, doesnt see it. Im going to go and dig out some brand new cables just to make sure its not them!

ghinzani;4611247

Thanks for taking the time to help me Megla. When I attach the first plug … Thanks for taking the time to help me Megla. When I attach the first plug to the PC and scan all I get is 'Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller' or the wireless controller. The DAK field is greyed out but the Network one allows me to input HomeplugAV.

If you pick 'Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller' and wait a minute (ish) it should come up with your HomePlug device in the section below. Then you select that (single click) and those fields should be available then.

I've been through this as I spent ages playing around trying to get mine to work, but that was because I have a HomePlug router too and it turned out they were on different firmware versions so it couldn't communicate with the plugs until I upgraded their firmware. The plugs worked fine between themselves straight away though, so I don't think firmware is your problem, but it probably wouldn't hurt to upgrade it if you're still stuck.

Original Poster

Hmm plugged both in, neither of them are recognised when I scan... Thats with a brand new cable from the box. Will give Zyxel support a call, then try and remember who I bought them from... seriously, I bought them via an offer off here, just hope it wasnt Ebuyer!

Original Poster

Mega - Just wanted to say thanks for all your help, they say ultimate power corrupts ultimately but you are a benevolent dictator for sure - Megalomaniacs get a bad name generally but your bucking the trend. More power to your elbow!

Let us know what they say, I'd be interested to know what their supports like. I've been fortunate enough not to have a need for them.

Original Poster

megalomaniac;4617928

Let us know what they say, I'd be interested to know what their supports … Let us know what they say, I'd be interested to know what their supports like. I've been fortunate enough not to have a need for them.

Just got off phone to them, looks like one of the homeplugs is duff so they are replaceing it. Went through a battery of tests today and yesterday with a lad there called Nathan who was very helpfull. So all in all very pleased with their service.

If I bought any additional homeplugs would they either have to be 200's of any make or would they have to specifically be Zyxel and speed (ie 85/200) wouldnt matter?

ghinzani;4751834

Just got off phone to them, looks like one of the homeplugs is duff so … Just got off phone to them, looks like one of the homeplugs is duff so they are replaceing it. Went through a battery of tests today and yesterday with a lad there called Nathan who was very helpfull. So all in all very pleased with their service.If I bought any additional homeplugs would they either have to be 200's of any make or would they have to specifically be Zyxel and speed (ie 85/200) wouldnt matter?

Any HomePlug AV (200Mbps) compliant device should be fine. So speed matters, having a HomePlug logo on the front matters, but manufacturer shouldn't.

Original Poster

Cheers Mega
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. clocks go Back weekend 28 October why not check and clean ur smoke alarm at…65262
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659
    5. word association Game74244933

See more discussions