Posted 31 December 2023

Anyone recommend an android bike tracker?

I'm looking for a tracking device for a bike so if it is stolen I can trace it.
There are loads of clever options using apple air tags, with mounts that are hidden under your front forks, under the bottle holder etc.

I can't seem to find many options for android users. Is there a particular brand or item that people use. I do see some options for generic trackers but I need something that's going to come with a clever mount and also have a decent app for tracking.
Community Updates
New Comment

30 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'd like the same, surprised none readily available yet.

Related - is there any way that bike thieves are able to detect/scan for a tracking devices i.e the signal that's emitted from it?

Or stop the signal being emitted? Like wrapping it in tin foil No, really - like if it's in a garage or basement?

Wondering if there's any point in getting one really. Currently I remove my quick release front wheel and saddle when leaving bike locked outside though have been slacking in doing that lately
    You can get free apps that tell you if there is an apple tag nearby or following you. If it wasn't there before they took the bike, and now it is, then it points to the obvious
    Bike GPS Tracker with LED Light Anti Theft Real-Time Bicycle Tracker Device 1800mAh Waterproof SOS Overspeed Alarm GPS Locator Lifetime Free APP/Platform No Subscription for Bicycle/Motorbike amzn.eu/d/2apbP7D

Noticed this one. I thought it looked ok (edited)
    Stupid idea. A lot of people steal lights left on bikes and not the actual bike.
    Personally I wouldn't bother - I mean what are you going to do with the tracking information? If someone steals your bike, they also steal your tracker. The tracker can be easily removed and you have no way to trace your bike. I think it's better to etch your details on the frame or use that "postcode paint" that you paint on and is almost invisible (shows your postcode under UV light). Obviously these things can also be removed, but it costs less and gives a higher rate of recovery.
    Author
    If someone steals your bike and it has a discreetly placed tracker, then there is a good chance that the tracker won't be found.

The airtag mounts can be placed under the seat, underneath the front fork or in a bottle holder mount. Unless someone is specifically looking for this mount, then it would go unnoticed. Obviously a well-seasoned bicycle thief would know this but I think bike thefts are often opportunist crimes committed by a certain type of person, who is not necessarily, in the know about bike tracking data.

As for what you would do with the data, well if your stolen bike was tracked to a specific location/street, you could give this information to the police, or personally I would be inclined to travel there and have look around, it may have been stashed.

I would certainly feel like I had more chance of getting it back by having tracking on than having some marks etched on it. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks, yea I saw that one on Amazon. Seems a bit random and quite expensive for a no name product. I don't like the idea that its a light.

Someone needs to step up and bring out something similar to airtag for android bike users.

I'm still looking for something that I can discreetly fit to my bike and track with an app on android. There's literally nothing apart from a couple of random weird bits that look like they are straight off AliExpress or Temu and marked up at ridiculous UK RRPs

Very surprised there isn't some leading manufacturers doing this because it's not like the airtag is exclusive to bikers, they can be used to track anything but are that popular that many different products now have their own mounts for them to discreetly hide them. (edited)
    I think Airtags only use bluetooth so not sure you get realtime tracking from it until someone passes by.
    A stolen bike is either going to be in the hands of trash who will say they bought from some bloke down the pub. Honest guv. And if you don't like it, meet my friend Stanley. Or it is on the back of a scrap truck, where it will be of no use to you. At least with the tracker you can show the insurance company where it is.
    The air tag option would be a waste as you can get an app on your phone that will alert you if a tag is nearby, and you can bet that a dishonest scrappy will have that app
    Author
    Who steals bikes to give to a scrappy?
    I agree with the comment's questioning the point of a bike tracker. I do the best I can to secure mine and make a point of locking it somewhere as visible as possible and lately I've been using both my D-locks when calling into town. I've got a beater that I take if it's likely to be locked up after dark and my road bikes aren't ever out of my sight.

Whilst it may be satisfying to think you could locate your bike, the chances of it ending well for you are very slim.
    I bought a bunch of Knog Scout devices at a Bike trade show last year; it was an extremely impressive product, but only compatible with Apple IOS products at that time.... and still is, a year later, unfortunately...a lot of Software and approval hoops to get through- (a Knog Exec said they hoped it got Android use in '23) oh well, was worth a punt!
    There's no Google version of the IOS 'Find My' app yet, but I still think it's a fab product.

I won't have an Apple product on principle, but sold on a few of the Scouts to others.

Something to note- it could also be used for tracking your flight Luggage, expensive Pram(andBaby!), DJ audio gear.... why only stick on a bike!?
's avatar