Posted 1 day ago

Broken 55" Smart TV

My son broke the TV at the weekend. It's fairly new, bought for about £400 three years ago.

What should I do with it? I'm guessing repairs are going to be uneconomical so Tip or sell? Seems like such a waste to tip it as it still looks brand new, no damage to screen but clearly a broken panel inside from impact damage.

Sods law that my insurance company emailed me last week to say they have decided not to renew my insurance policy (think they are going bust) so I can't claim on my insurance.

4303103_1.jpg
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Three years ago is not fairly new
    Author
    My last one was 8 years old. I got this one when it was released and they are still £350 on eBay (edited)
    You could try Facebook marketplace for a week or two, failing that to the tip i reckon.
    definitely try flogging it for parts or spares/repair, what have you got to lose? even if you got a tenner for it that's surely better than the £0 you'd get at the tip
    Try ringing a couple of local TV repair shops for a quote, but I'm guessing the panel won't be cheap and in the long run could be cheaper buying a new TV.
    Look up Lg approved repairers - they may not be as bad as you think to get repaired

If not FB market place
    It looks like the display is damaged - it's not just broken glass, that would need swapped out (as you can't repair the glass). The panel is not something that would be sold as a spare. No doubt the electronics are still good and could be sold for £20~£30 each - there's usually 3 or 4 main boards, so you could get around £60~£120 selling those parts (you would be lucky to get £5 for the remote). Obviously if you are going to strip it down you need to be aware of the risks and you need to determine if it's worth your time & effort.

Currys are selling a 4K 55" panel for £359.99 & Argos are selling a 4K 55" panel for £399.99 - I guess that's why there are so many of these going to land fill! (edited)
's avatar