Posted 9 December 2023

External hard drive for ps5

Hi all, I'm on need of a external hard drive for my Ps5, it needs to be minimum 2 terabytes and a good manufacturer... Thanks for any help
Community Updates
New Comment

8 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Hard disk or SSD? Former is cheaper but slower.

Portable 2.5" model or desktop 3.5" (which will require separate power supply). Later is physically larger and slightly better performance; still not in SSD class, though.

There are only 3 manufacturers of actual hard drives (Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba), so it's only the USB interface that will differ.

Plenty to choose from most retailers, and as stated, little difference between models. They're a commodity item. Pick based on price/availability. (edited)
    Is it to save PS4 games? Just you can't save PS5 on external
    Absolutely right.

OP if you mean to plug an external SSD or HDD into the rear PS5 USB port you need to know you can ONLY PLAY PS4 games from it, however it can be used for COLD STORAGE of PS5 games.

You will need to use the internal expansion slot M.2 for an NVME SSD, make sure it is compatible and has a heatsink on it.

I personally use both an old slow 2TB external and an M.2 internal, buy the biggest you can afford as my 1TB is already full. (edited)
    I got this to expand the ps5 storage for games albeit paid £110 and just a regular usb 2tb external drive for ps4 games.
    addlink Addgame PS5 Compatible A95 2TB Up to 7200 MB/s Read Speed Internal Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 1.4 Gen4X4 3D TLC with Dram NAND SSD w/Heatsink (aUK2TBA95M2P) amzn.eu/d/i…8mj
    If you are looking for supper fast SSD you should check out the SABRENT Rocket series. they just came out with Rocket 5!
    Rocket 4 - Amazon
's avatar