Posted 14 January 2024

LG OLED repair issue

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give some advice. I purchased a LG OLED from Richer Sounds the end of March
2023. The HDMI ports have developed a weird issue and this has been confirmed by Richer Sounds as the soundbar and Apple TV have been tested on a Samsung in store and function exactly as they're supposed to. LG are refusing to send an engineer to repair this claiming it's the soundbar and Apple TV that are faulty despite the soundbar already having been replaced and it being a brand new Apple TV. Videos have been sent of the fault, Richer Sounds have sent an email and still they're refusing to repair it. I've spoken to Richer Sounds TV support and they're trying to get LG to change their stance but I'm pretty concerned about this. Where do I stand and what should my next steps be?

TIA
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The trader holds the statutory product quality and durability obligations.
    Identify what product you believe is at fault and demand the trader addresses the fault as required by Consumer Rights Act.

The HDMI ports have developed a weird issue and this has been confirmed by Richer Sounds...
    Richer Sounds TV support... they're trying to get LG to change their stance
    Assuming the above are accurate statements it indicates that the trader accepts the "issue" is related to the TV,
    so the party responsible to resolve is indisputably RS.
    Contact RS and demand (not ask) RS provides a solution IAW Consumer Rights Act.
    If RS attempts to refer you to the manufacturer:
    demand that RS states its exemption to CRA (hint: there is no exemption to CRA).
    RS may reasonably demand that you provide proof of "fault" prior to considering your CRA claim,
    in which case (sic) you obtain a report from a credible source identifying the fault and you present the report (plus the reasonable cost of the report) to RS.

Some observations:
    just because a product is new does not necessarily mean it is performing correctly or operating without "fault".
    Compatibility issues may not always be interpreted as "fault(s)", but one may reasonably expect a quality branded item to perform without issue/fault for an extended period, compared to say an ultra-low-cost supermarket-quality item.
    The (enforceable) statutory obligations of the trader trump any available (unenforceable) manufacturer warranty.
    Author
    Thank you very much for this as it helps clarify a few points I've raised with RS as regards their referral to LG. As the soundbars were replaced as being faulty originally and the behaviour of subsequent ones was identical when used with the set it's probably worth me having that conversation with RS, especially as they have stated having seen the fault in the email.

Thank you all for your advice and help!
    Firstly, your contract is with richer sounds, not LG.
    There shouldn't even be an argument given RS have allegedly agreed there is an issue with the TV