Posted 9 March 2024

PC Upgrade Help

I'm looking at upgrading my PC.

I've ordered a Hyte y70 Touch case which is on pre order.

I'm looking at the following components:

CORSAIR H150 RGB Liquid CPU Cooler
Samsung 980 PRO
MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 64GB (4x16GB) 6400MHz C32
Corsair RM1200x SHIFT Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm going to take the fans out of my current Pc.

But I would like to add extra fans. I have a Corsair Commander Core XT and a Node. Can I just connect these to enable control 10 fans? Is this possible?

I'm going to upgrade from my 3080TI when the 5090 Comes out.

My main question is am I missing anything? or should I swap any components out?

Thanks

Ste
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

11 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    2nd SSD/HD for games/storage if needed?
    A fine setup regardless.
    Author
    I have a couple of M.2 drives.

But thanks for the help
    My main question is am I missing anything? or should I swap any components out?

YES! - Do not under any circumstances run 4x DIMM's on any AM5 board, it will just be rubbish, get 2x 32GB DIMM's if you really want 64GB.

Dump the 980 Pro is is outdated, and slow compared to its price these days, you can pick up a 2TB KC3000 for under £130

You'll also want to look at the board as I just got rid of the MSI X670E Tomahawk, wasn't impressed with it for the price and it is missing some features, I'd go high end B650E instead, so look at the ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WIFI same sort of price but much fuller featured, unless you think you'll need the extra PCI-E lanes from the chipset, the ASUS has 4x M.2 slots as well, and better I/O on the rear.

I also think the NZXT C 1200W PSU is better value and same tier in terms of quality and warranty. Seen it as low as £150.

Finally, are you getting the Corsair cooler to match with your current fans? If not then change it to something else.

Author
    Thank you for your very detailed reply.

I'll get the 2 sticks of Ram. I wasn't aware of any issues with 4 sticks.

I'll swap to the KC3000.

I think I will do more research into the motherboard, thank you.

The PSU you have suggested looks really good. Thanks.

The corsair cooler is just to match current fans. I just need to figure out how to connect them all up.