Posted 3 November 2021

The best Xbox controller? without stick drift

Just sent my Xbox controller off for warranty due to left stick drift so in the meantime best to have a spare so bought the blue controller that was on offer here about a month ago. Seems like I have wasted my money as in next to no time the right stick has no fine movement and drifts all over the place, strangely in Fortnite it drifts down in game but up when viewing the map.
It's not just Fortnite the xbox controls in menu are all over the place move one space normally moves two to three spaces so basically battling with the stick. Try to put a Shift gold key is impossible.

So basically what is everyone's opinion as to the best Xbox controller that has little or no stick drift issues?
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The Xbox controllers are good, perhaps your a little heavy handed
    SunTzu03/11/2021 19:01

Try one of these. I've just returned my series X controller to MS for the …Try one of these. I've just returned my series X controller to MS for the 2nd time since January however so far I've had no problems with this and the built in super audio and aiming button are really handyhttps://uk.turtlebeach.com/collections/xbox-controllers

Tested on hundreds of gamers, Turtle Beach® exclusive Superhuman Hearing™ sound setting lets you hear subtle, yet game-changing sounds so you can live 20% longer and win more.
    I'm guessing they are referring to in game character life - if not I'll defo be buying one of these to extend my life by 20%!
    Author
    I've been using Xbox controllers for years without a problem it's only the Series X controllers are an issue for me.
    Pain in the ass lately controllers with stick drift, I mod both Xbox and PlayStation controller and show people how to, but lately I've had so many messages asking how to fix drift. If its in warranty send it back, but if its out changing an analog sticks isn't easy work
    ashwarner03/11/2021 19:09

Cheers been looking at these, means running a cable which is a pain but I …Cheers been looking at these, means running a cable which is a pain but I have been looking at wired. Does the audio work with wireless headphones guessing it's only wired types? I have the recon 600 Gen 2, great set of headphones.

Comes with a realllly long sturdy cable and tbh it doesn’t get in the way, plus no wireless lag . Doesn’t work with wireless headphones but you don’t have to use the audio features of the controller but if you do it turns a normal set of headphones into a great set of gaming headphones!
    Regardless of what controller you buy, eventually the analog will develop stick drift. You can unsolder the old mechanism and solder on a new one. It's not too difficult, even if you have zero soldering experience. Just watch a YouTube vid. Even if you mess it up, the controller is near useless with stick drift anyway, so it's not like you're wasting much. The analog joysticks are about £2 each on ebay. (edited)
    I personally had no stick drift issues with this one.
    45984362-w5W8O.jpg
    Try one of these. I've just returned my series X controller to MS for the 2nd time since January however so far I've had no problems with this and the built in super audio and aiming button are really handy

uk.turtlebeach.com/col…ers
    Author
    SunTzu03/11/2021 19:01

Try one of these. I've just returned my series X controller to MS for the …Try one of these. I've just returned my series X controller to MS for the 2nd time since January however so far I've had no problems with this and the built in super audio and aiming button are really handyhttps://uk.turtlebeach.com/collections/xbox-controllers

Cheers been looking at these, means running a cable which is a pain but I have been looking at wired. Does the audio work with wireless headphones guessing it's only wired types? I have the recon 600 Gen 2, great set of headphones.
    Have you tried updating the firmware?
    Author
    aLV42603/11/2021 20:39

Have you tried updating the firmware?

Did as soon as I started it
    I actually sat down with the kids last night and got them to gather up all the unused or faulty Xbox One controllers - turns out I have an extra 27 controllers gathering dust - only 4 seem to be 100% and they are the original ones without the headphone jack!
    I also had problems with drift on brand new design lab controllers - sadly Microsoft no longer deliver to Northern Ireland (!) - (just the design lab controllers though!?) I did get a full £60 refund, but that doesn't really help does it? Another design lab controller has gone faulty and like the other 27 controllers (Yeah, I know, Mr. Procrastinator Extraordinaire!) I can't be bothered to process it under warranty. I end up buying them a new one. Which reminds me that Halo Elite better be in stock before Christmas!
    aLV42604/11/2021 01:48

I actually sat down with the kids last night and got them to gather up all …I actually sat down with the kids last night and got them to gather up all the unused or faulty Xbox One controllers - turns out I have an extra 27 controllers gathering dust - only 4 seem to be 100% and they are the original ones without the headphone jack!I also had problems with drift on brand new design lab controllers - sadly Microsoft no longer deliver to Northern Ireland (!) - (just the design lab controllers though!?) I did get a full £60 refund, but that doesn't really help does it? Another design lab controller has gone faulty and like the other 27 controllers (Yeah, I know, Mr. Procrastinator Extraordinaire!) I can't be bothered to process it under warranty. I end up buying them a new one. Which reminds me that Halo Elite better be in stock before Christmas!

Sell them, people buy them and fix them, win win. Few quid in your pocket and the pad lives on another day
    Toon_army04/11/2021 02:53

Sell them, people buy them and fix them, win win. Few quid in your pocket …Sell them, people buy them and fix them, win win. Few quid in your pocket and the pad lives on another day

I was toying with selling them on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of having to deal with potential fraud - heard too many stories on here and the internet! I might have a go at fixing them up and taking them down to CEX, however I have been saying that for years!
    aLV42604/11/2021 03:02

I was toying with selling them on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of …I was toying with selling them on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of having to deal with potential fraud - heard too many stories on here and the internet! I might have a go at fixing them up and taking them down to CEX, however I have been saying that for years!

Are you handy with a soldering iron, as in circuit boards? If not I honestly wouldn't even try to fix them.
    Ebay is your best bet, just sell them as parts, but don't so a bundle sell them separately
    aLV42604/11/2021 03:02

I was toying with selling them on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of …I was toying with selling them on ebay, but I don't want the hassle of having to deal with potential fraud - heard too many stories on here and the internet! I might have a go at fixing them up and taking them down to CEX, however I have been saying that for years!

What kind of fraud are you worried about exactly?
    It's pretty hard for a buyer to commit fraud on eBay - as a seller you don't post until you have the money, and then the buyer can't just take the money back off you because it would have to go through eBay. So the only way they could get their money back would be to return the item - but if you're selling it as "for parts and not working" and describing it honestly they wouldn't have much of a case to return it.
    The only kind of buyer fraud I've seen is when someone manages to buy something on someone else's account, or using someone else's payment details - but that's not fraud against you as a seller, it's against the account owner/card owner. eBay protects sellers in those cases - they might warn you of a suspicious buyer, saying not to post anything if you haven't already, but they don't take the money back from you.

Bear in mind that the horror stories you might have heard are the exceptions, not the rule - when things go smoothly people aren't going to shout about it on the internet. I've been selling on eBay for 20 years and only had a handful of issues like this in that time, none of which have actually cost me anything.

So with that said, if you put those controllers up for sale I might end up buying them - I do keep buying job lots to refurbish and sell on.
's avatar