Beggars in London

Found 17th MayEdited by:"mutley1"
When I go to London, I often see beggars in the street and they also come onto the trains to beg. They always make a point of sleeping rough outside the big shops in Oxford Street and Mayfair, I would guess where people with cash are walking around.

I don't think I should give money to beggars because it will just encourage more beggars to line the street and as far as I understand they spend the money on drugs and booze.

But I tend to feel guilty when it is a woman begging and I am wondering if I should give money to women beggars?

Do you guys give money to beggars? Am I being too tight not giving money to them? Some beggars are just outright scoundrels but some do seem to be genuine people in need.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Bored, mutley?
42 Comments
I don’t give money, rather give them a hot meal or if they have a pet, some pet food.
Tbh i just try to give no matter what they might do with the money but i understand where your coming from. Best thing also is just to buy them food instead of the money.
I usually give them food or food for their dogs but have given a woman a little cash before because being a woman on the streets must be incredibly difficult.
personal choice up to the individual
Wow...make a point of sleeping rough outside the big shops. The luxury eh.
I wouldn't give money to a beggar just because she was a woman. Women booze and take drugs too. I don't give money to any beggars. I contribute to food banks instead or homeless charities instead.
Unfortunately a lot of the ‘beggars’ are professional beggars that are moved around from place to place depending on the time of day and footfall. The children (especially babies) are also handed from woman to woman to increase their takings. It is very much organised.
Don’t feel guilty by not giving, many are raking it in and only accept cash and refusing food.
The Eastern Europeans who are camping out in Hyde Park are the main culprits.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 17th May
If you don't give money to men, it should be the same if a woman is begging... as psychobitchfromhell said already they can do drugs and drink just as much.

I don't understand the distinction based on sex. Life on the streets is hard for anyone in the end.

I don't have cash on me as I pay everything by card so I can't give money to anyone and I'm not naive to fall for the "I need money for the bus" thing as the guy who asked me this a couple of times was clearly drunk.
Another thing that would worry me would be that it people gave money to women not men, you'd end up with men sending women out to beg and living on the proceeds. Bit like pimps but for begging of you get my drift.
psychobitchfromhell4 m ago

Another thing that would worry me would be that it people gave money to …Another thing that would worry me would be that it people gave money to women not men, you'd end up with men sending women out to beg and living on the proceeds. Bit like pimps but for begging of you get my drift.

Unfortunately in London that’s already happening on a large scale
Toptrumpet5 m ago

Unfortunately in London that’s already happening on a large scale

i can't say I'm surprised
The luxury of having the option to choose whether or not to help is afforded to too many of the wrong kind of people, some might say. Others might say what brings them that choice is what made them of that way of thinking in the first place.

Not to worry though, come some big charity gig that guilt can be bought off, again, for another year.
adeljay921 h, 54 m ago

Tbh i just try to give no matter what they might do with the money but i …Tbh i just try to give no matter what they might do with the money but i understand where your coming from. Best thing also is just to buy them food instead of the money.

hotukdeals.com/dis…741
there’s a church and mosque near where i live and they work together every monday to feed the homeless. i think we should advise the homeless of the centres and food banks near them. it doesn’t hurt to talk to them for a minute and ask them about their situation. people are scared of interacting with the homeless because people will see and think bad of them. if that’s the case just go give food to churches/mosques (that run a homeless project) or food banks
Yes.
I will buy a packet of supermarket own brand biscuits and give that to them
MisterTIBS56 m ago

The luxury of having the option to choose whether or not to help is …The luxury of having the option to choose whether or not to help is afforded to too many of the wrong kind of people, some might say. Others might say what brings them that choice is what made them of that way of thinking in the first place.Not to worry though, come some big charity gig that guilt can be bought off, again, for another year.

Eh? Who are the wrong kind of people to help? Not sure what your point is. Can you help me out with this?
psychobitchfromhell56 m ago

Eh? Who are the wrong kind of people to help? Not sure what your point is. …Eh? Who are the wrong kind of people to help? Not sure what your point is. Can you help me out with this?

Think he's criticising people who are luckier and in the position to choose whether to help or not.
hearts229 m ago

Think he's criticising people who are luckier and in the position to …Think he's criticising people who are luckier and in the position to choose whether to help or not.

people choose to help who they want in the way they want. You can't make them. If somebody does something charitable then that is a good thing. They could leave millions to a frog sanctuary and it would be their choice.
Toptrumpet3 h, 4 m ago

Unfortunately a lot of the ‘beggars’ are professional beggars that are mov …Unfortunately a lot of the ‘beggars’ are professional beggars that are moved around from place to place depending on the time of day and footfall. The children (especially babies) are also handed from woman to woman to increase their takings. It is very much organised.Don’t feel guilty by not giving, many are raking it in and only accept cash and refusing food. The Eastern Europeans who are camping out in Hyde Park are the main culprits.

this is what had put me off giving money to beggars. i once gave money to a woman who came on the bus to beg and was told by other passengers not to do so as she is a professional beggar. i was surprised when i was told this but a few weeks later, i understood what they meant as i saw her go into a betting shop to put on bets
hearts222 h, 40 m ago

If you don't give money to men, it should be the same if a woman is …If you don't give money to men, it should be the same if a woman is begging... as psychobitchfromhell said already they can do drugs and drink just as much. I don't understand the distinction based on sex. Life on the streets is hard for anyone in the end. I don't have cash on me as I pay everything by card so I can't give money to anyone and I'm not naive to fall for the "I need money for the bus" thing as the guy who asked me this a couple of times was clearly drunk.

my attitude is different towards men and women. i tend to feel sorry for women more than for men as i think a woman would find it harder to live rough on the street whereas men can rough it better. problem is i guess they may be pretending and so are just professional beggars.

however, if they were genuinely homeless, a woman would struggle more in my thinking.
Dannyrobbo3 h, 35 m ago

Wow...make a point of sleeping rough outside the big shops. The luxury eh.

it is the worst place to sleep rough as so many people are walking past, you would never get any peace and when it rains, the water would be sprayed onto your sleeping bag from the footfall. there is no shelter as they just sleep on the pavement, but directly outside the big shop windows.

if you really wanted somewhere to sleep, that is the last place you would choose. therefore they have chosen it for another purpose and not shelter.
Bored, mutley?
I’ve seen women and kids out begging in towns pretending they have nothing, then a newish BMW pulls up and they jump in and drive off.

If you want to help, donate your money to food banks.
cmdr_elito50 m ago

I’ve seen women and kids out begging in towns pretending they have n …I’ve seen women and kids out begging in towns pretending they have nothing, then a newish BMW pulls up and they jump in and drive off.If you want to help, donate your money to food banks.

I was about to say exactly this right down to the bmw car. No joke
Even my Corbynista daughter has given up on beggars after seeing one set up shop outside her local tube station. Took of his expensive trainers, slipped them in a bag and put on his ragged ones!
Even the founder of the Big Issue says not to give cash to them.
Teach the beggars to go to their local library and learn about HUKD and get free food and drinks from the blogs you guys raise daily. It’s no much but it will teach them to stand up for themselves.
Aldnoah6 h, 43 m ago

I was about to say exactly this right down to the bmw car. No joke

You seen this in Crawley perhaps?
I was walking down a street in Budapest, a woman walking just in front of me. with a baby, as we came up to the main tourist street, she threw her cigarette down, slapped the baby hard to make it cry. Then she put on a stoop and sat down begging.
I'm sure they'd appreciate half a pizza?
I'm from South East London, I used to give a little change to them. But now seeing g more and more of them taking it in turns outside of the local train station and Tesco. I feel it's either a group of them cashing in for drugs (they do look rough like alcoholics and possibly drug takers).

While there is a few younger lot who come down during the morning before and are gone by the afternoon. This lot I feel are fake homeless and in it for the money.

I'd rather keep my own money now. Don't care if it's selfish or heartless. As I've helped some out in the past who turned out to be conmen.
cmdr_elito13 h, 6 m ago

I’ve seen women and kids out begging in towns pretending they have n …I’ve seen women and kids out begging in towns pretending they have nothing, then a newish BMW pulls up and they jump in and drive off.If you want to help, donate your money to food banks.

when you are on the train, there is often an announcement on the train to say that passengers should not give money to beggars but i don't know if this is because the train companies are aware that there are professional beggars operating on their lines or whether they just don't want to encourage beggars onto their trains.

i saw a young woman on the tube a few days ago begging for money and she was really dirty with mud on her clothes and shoulder bag. i wondered how the hell she managed to get this muddy as it looked like she had been in a rugby scrum on a rainy day. i did wonder if her life is really this bad or if she is just putting on a show. nonetheless, i felt sorry for her and was mulling over giving her money but i didn't. i feel a bit guilty that i didn't hence i am canvassing opinion, which would appear to be don't give money to street beggars, whether they be male or female.
trivium16 h, 17 m ago

there’s a church and mosque near where i live and they work together every …there’s a church and mosque near where i live and they work together every monday to feed the homeless. i think we should advise the homeless of the centres and food banks near them. it doesn’t hurt to talk to them for a minute and ask them about their situation. people are scared of interacting with the homeless because people will see and think bad of them. if that’s the case just go give food to churches/mosques (that run a homeless project) or food banks

in london there are several shelters for the homeless which gives the homeless food so i don't think anyone need to go hungry as they can just turn up at one of these shelters. therefore it is not food that they are begging for but money, although they always state that they need the money for food. they are begging money for non-food items, which everyone needs and that is fair enough but i don't know if they are entitled to any sort of benefit payout without a permanent address so non food stuff.
Whenever money is involved, be it a business, charity or begging then a proportion of the 'players' will always be scammers.

Generally the less regulated the operation the greater the proportion of scammers! Of course this does not always follow as organised charities are meant to be well regulated yet we are all aware of the recent scandals.

I generally restrict my giving to causes/individuals that I know are geniune.
Edited by: "Van1973" 18th May
A lot of beggars do it professionally - I donate to a charity that helps homeless people (But I keep forgetting the name of it!) it's a better way to help as giving them money on the street will most likely be spent on things that do not help them.
mutley14 h, 29 m ago

when you are on the train, there is often an announcement on the train to …when you are on the train, there is often an announcement on the train to say that passengers should not give money to beggars but i don't know if this is because the train companies are aware that there are professional beggars operating on their lines or whether they just don't want to encourage beggars onto their trains.i saw a young woman on the tube a few days ago begging for money and she was really dirty with mud on her clothes and shoulder bag. i wondered how the hell she managed to get this muddy as it looked like she had been in a rugby scrum on a rainy day. i did wonder if her life is really this bad or if she is just putting on a show. nonetheless, i felt sorry for her and was mulling over giving her money but i didn't. i feel a bit guilty that i didn't hence i am canvassing opinion, which would appear to be don't give money to street beggars, whether they be male or female.

Yep. Give to the charities that help them, that way there is more chance of the genuine ones being helped and less chance of scammers taking help away from needy people!
Aldnoah7 h, 3 m ago

Tottenham

That’s where they disappeared too!
mutley112 h, 24 m ago

in london there are several shelters for the homeless which gives the …in london there are several shelters for the homeless which gives the homeless food so i don't think anyone need to go hungry as they can just turn up at one of these shelters. therefore it is not food that they are begging for but money, although they always state that they need the money for food. they are begging money for non-food items, which everyone needs and that is fair enough but i don't know if they are entitled to any sort of benefit payout without a permanent address so non food stuff.

you are right. that’s why i said we should ask homeless people about their situation first. last year near a shopping centre a woman and child approached my sister begging for money and crying. they had a letter that said they will be evicted from their if they dont pay £50 and it all seemed so genuine according to my sister. the “beggar” was even encouraging my sis to come to her house and check the situation but my sister just gave her money. when she went a security guard ran to my sister and explained that she was a scammer and does this to a lot of people and had she gone to her house it would’ve become very serious. women beggars and scammers are so easy to fall for and it’s a shame that real beggars are stigmatised because of scammers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants