Posted 21 February 2023

Best VR for PC (with RTX 3080)

Hello all!

Google couldn't help me decide so here I am. Whats the best value/money VR setup if I intend to use my PC as processing unit? I have a RTX 3080 plugged in which I am hopeful is capable of VR. Thanks!
Any suggestions / advise welcome
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    If you don't mind spending £1k try the Quest Pro. By far the best lenses of any VR headset combined with mini led panels and the best controllers money can buy. RTX3080 is a fantastic card for VR.
    Quest 2.

Once you've tried HL Alyx wirelessly in the garden on a summers evening in a 10m x 10m space, nothing else comes close. Adhoc wifi works really well if you have a wifi 6 card.
    Author
    Sounds fun! Will give it a go! I don’t have access to garden though haha..
    i got a 2nd hand windows mixed reality headset for £100 on gumtree
    eg lenovo

Back before the Quest 2 price rise I managed to sell my Lenovo Explorer for £150 and buy a Quest 2 for £200
    Hp reverb g2 has the best visuals for a reasonable price. There are a few newer ones but they cost £1000. I run the reverb g2 on a 3080 no problem

Is apparently a great piece of kit but obviously need a ps5... which may be cheaper than a PC capable of vr
    The quest 2 isn't a bad device for pc gaming vr. It's not as sharp as others but it also has the benefits of being a self use vr experience as well.

I remember doing half-life vr on it and it was a great wireless experience. I had a 2060 gaming laptop and was hitting 70fps if I recall.

I had one of the earlier rifts and it was a nightmare with the sensor stations, and having to pack things away at the end of the night as I was going between home and the gf at the time. (edited)
    Author
    Thanks! Thats really helpful!
    I've upgraded from a rift s to a Pico 4 and it is superb. The image is so clear and I'm only using VD on high as I only have a 3070 laptop. I cant wait until graphics card prices come down a bit more as I have a full system ready and waiting for the card, its just they are too expensive.

I think on battery power it'll work for nearly 2 hours but as I use mine for SIM racing i just have an extension cord fastened to my seat and I plug in. Its the best tech that i have ever bought. For less than 400 it is brilliant.
    Quest 2 or Quest 3 I would recommend but there is also the Pico which can got got for cheap.
's avatar