Posted 19 November 2022

Enclosure for Samsung Pro HEATSINK SSD

Hello All

can I put in an external usb c enclosure the Samsung SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 980 PRO HEATSINK NVMe PCIe 4.0 ? Please note I’m talking about HEATSINK version. Or is it pc ps5 only ssd?

Any recommendations for enclosure?

Thanks for any help
Community Updates
New Comment

4 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not quite sure what you are asking mate.
    Do know have had an unsuccessful nightmare trying to get this working on my PCIE 4 PC slot.
    Author
    Thanks I actually didn’t know much and was wanting external drive that has usb c connectivity. Looking around looks like Instead of making our own drive by buying case, get ready made external drives that are dust waterproof etc.
    Just to confirm. You have the M.2 version of the Samsung 980 pro nvme PCIe ssd. Which has a factory pre installed heatsink attached, and you want to remove the heatsink to put it into an external usb nvme enclosure?

If that's correct. Whilst it should be possible to remove the heatsink, unless it's bonded or glued instead of just thermal paste. You should be aware it voids the warranty.

Excerpt from Samsung warranty on this drive...

Can you remove the heatsink from Samsung 980 PRO?

* Samsung's warranty will be void if any of the following instructions violated. . When assembling the 980 PRO, do not overtighten the 980 PRO with Heatsink to the motherboard. . The 980 PRO with Heatsink has a pre-installed heat sink and it should not be removed as it can damage the device. .

So I wouldn't recommend you do it. I'm not sure if any of the enclosures have space or support drives with Heatsinks, as I haven't checked. I would guess there will be some as newer bigger drives get hot.
    Author
    Many thanks for the reply
    I have done more research and looks like Sandisk extreme or Samsung T7 type external drives are much better options and I need not sweat out trying to make one.