Make Mum Feel Special Without Breaking the Bank with HotUKDeals' Mother's Day Discounts
Mother's Day is an ancient tradition, but it hasn't always been plain sailing for one of the year's most important occasions. The celebration started out in the Middle Ages as the day that apprentices and other urban workers were permitted to return to the mother church. Because this meant heading home to visit their family, this quickly became a chance to reconnect with their mothers, and Mothering Sunday was born.
During the Industrial Revolution, the celebration faded away, but it has returned in a big way since the 1950s all over the world. In the UK, post-war retailers saw Mother's Day as a great opportunity. With people getting ready for spring and summer, and Christmas bills having been paid off, Mother's Day quickly gained a place on the retail calendar, one that it still occupies.
Nowadays, almost every family uses the fourth Sunday of Lent to get together and show mothers that they care. And it's not just about mums. These days, husbands, lovers, sons, partners, dads - all types of guys are expected to join in the gift-giving.
That's where this HotUKDeals Mother's Day buyers guide will come in handy. If you are struggling to find the perfect gift, read on. There's no end to the discounts and promotions this year, with many of the UK's leading retailers taking part.
How to Prepare for Mother's Day 2017
Mother's Day is big business in the UK. Every year, we spend a lot on presents and meals, so it's no surprise that companies have sensed a money-making opportunity.
This year, Mother's Day falls on 26 March, and it looks set to break retail records. Don't be left behind when the gift-giving begins. With a little shopping savvy you can find the perfect present for any mum.
The first thing to do is to bookmark the HotUKDeals Mother's Day listings. This is the best place to keep track of promotions before Mother's Day arrives, and the choices will be almost endless.
Expect to find huge reductions on gifts like flowers, cards, jewellery, clothes, spa breaks, accessories, gardening tools, interior decorations, chocolates, kitchen utensils, cosmetics. You name it: if mum's adore it, it will be reduced by major online and high-street retailers.
Have a think about what your mum really loves as well. With such a wide range of gifts on offer, you can find really thoughtful gifts that take your mum's individuality into account. Don't just go for the first deal you find. Shop around!
Try to buy (or book) in advance too. Many Mother's Day deals will expire before the day itself, and tables at restaurants or theatre seats tend to sell out. Remember that millions of people are trying to keep their mums happy, just like you, so don't be tardy.
How the UK's Favourite Retailers are Celebrating Mother's Day 2017
All over the UK, major brands see Mother's Day as a crucial retail opportunity. However, most of their specialist Mother's Day promotions are featured on their online stores, so it's easy to miss them if you only shop in-store. Here are a few ways that online merchants are helping to make Mother's Day special:
- John Lewis - John Lewis has a special store full of "Gifts to make her day". Options include everything from digital cameras and gardening implements to Sonos sound systems and body scrubs.
- Tesco - Tesco has no shortage of gift ideas, with a special focus on flowers, hair care products, entertainment products, clothing and accessories (as well as groceries if you want to cook a special feast for your mum).
- Boots - Boots is a go-to store for all sorts of Mother's Day staples, including make-up, shampoos and bath products. They've got plenty of discounts on big beauty brands like L'Oreal or Sanctuary, so be sure to have a look.
- Hotel Chocolat - If mum has a sweet tooth, or if you need to find something delicious for your partner, Hotel Chocolat is the place to shop. With a range of hampers and Champagne on offer, there's no better place to put together a Mother's Day picnic.
- Marks & Spencer - M&S goes in for Mother's Day in a big way. Under the slogan "Spoil her this Mother's Day", M&S offer up plenty of gift ideas, including ways to pamper your mum, flowers, chocolates, and apparel. They also offer combo deals blending flowers and chocolates - a great way to hedge your bets and offer mum the best of both worlds.
That's just a tiny cross-section of the Mother's Day gifts on offer. when you search the HotUKDeals listings, you will find discounts from huge UK retailers, including Debenhams, Argos, Currys, Superdrug and Laura Ashley. You're sure to find something to suit your mum's tastes, and at the right price too.
How to Find the Perfect Mother's Day Gift
That all sounds fantastic, but not all of us know what to buy. Mums aren't always the easiest people to purchase for, but there are some presents that always go down well. Here are some great ideas to think about and the places to buy them:
- Flowers - The classic gift to show people you really care, flowers will be appreciated by almost anyone's mum. Spring's a great time to purchase bouquets as well, with plenty of new blooms on the market. If you want to surprise mum on the day itself, why not arrange a special delivery to her door? Merchants like Flowers Direct or Blossoming Gifts will make it happen, often with big Mother's Day discounts.
- Chocolate - There's nothing quite like the decadence and delights of artisan chocolates, and there are plenty of great brands to choose from. Hotel Chocolat (see above) is one excellent choice, but you could also go for Swiss confections by Lindt or dark chocolate masterpieces from Green and Blacks.
- Jewellery - Diamonds are a girl's best friend, including mothers. Well, maybe not all mums adore watches, necklaces, bracelets, rings and earrings, but plenty do, so it's always an option to consider. Check out Mother's Day sales at merchants like H Samuel (who have a nice line in engraved lockets) and Pandora, whose earrings are spectacular.
- Experiences - It doesn't have to be about flowers and jewels. Plenty of people also give gifts like spa breaks, holidays and activities like cookery courses, and these can be some of the most thoughtful gifts of all. Good places to look include Thomas Cook and Virgin Experiences, both of which offer experiences for all tastes and passions.
- Beauty - For glamorous mums, there's only one option: cosmetic gift sets and beauty products. Thankfully, there are plenty of vendors that run Mother's Day cosmetics promotions. You can snap up perfumes, make-ups and shampoos from major brands like Chanel and L'Oreal at merchants like The Perfume Shop and Superdrug.
- Clothes - Spring is a great time to rejuvenate your wardrobe, so if your mum is a fashionista, why not try apparel retailers like H&M or Matalan? Even if you take a risk with a dress or a blouse, with generous returns policies, your mum can exchange them for something more to her taste, so don't be afraid to experiment.
- Accessories - If you don't feel confident about buying a dress from the spring collections, have a look at accessories like bags, hats, sunglasses or belts (which may also be a slightly cheaper option). Major accessories retailers like Monsoon run plenty of Mother's Day discounts, with something for everyone.
- Food - Dining out is a popular alternative to giving a physical gift, but you don't have to stick to the usual places. If you explore the HotUKDeals Mother's Day listings, you'll find a huge number of gourmet dining offers at merchants like Bookatable, with options all over the country. Then again, you could really push the boat out and whip up a feast for your family with the grocery promotions at brands like Asda. It might be hard work, but it will be worth it.
- Cards - For some people, Mother's Day isn't complete without a personalised card. Every year, millions of cards are sent, both within the UK and from places around the world, so why not do the same and check out the cards at quirky merchants like Moonpig?
- Home Appliances - If all of these doesn´t fit your bill, make sure she gets something she really needs such as a new food mixer, a flat iron or a vacuum cleaner. Retailers to look for are Kitchenaid or ao.com.
Save Money on Every Type of Mother's Day Gifts at HotUKDeals
There's no need to make Mother's Day more expensive or stressful than it needs to be (or at all). Instead, find the perfect gift for your mum and make big savings by purchasing via the HotUKDeals Mother's Day listings. You'll find everything from sumptuous floral displays to the latest fashions, all at fantastic prices, so give mum the gift she deserves.