Posted 25 December 2023

Gaming PC - windows help

Hi, my son has just got his brand new gaming pc out and set up. When turned on it displays BIOS. I didn't get windows installed on it as I thought it would have given him something to 'self build' do he had an input on it Christmas day, as he wasn't confident building the whole thing.
So am I right in thinking the next step is to download windows from our laptop onto a usb, then install from the usb on the pc?
Is there anything else he can do today? Until we get a usb.
I knew I should of just got it installed by stormforce when I ordered.
Any help is greatly appreciated
Community Updates
New Comment

6 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Any additional drive will work - extra hard drive, USB DVD drives etc.

It may be possible to boot an OS installer over the network but that's typically for enterprise settings and is likely to be complicated.
    Just to expand a little bit, memory cards in a card reader will also work. Also, there are a few pxe boot apps put there - iirc the one I used is Serva, and it was pretty easy to set up and use.

alternativeto.net/fea…ot/
    Go here and download the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool (Windows 10 is also available)

Download Windows 11 (microsoft.com)

Run it to create the Windows 11 USB. Plug it into the PC and follow the setup process to install Windows. Once it is installed, connect it to the internet to update and download drivers. Depending on your connection speed, it will take a while.

You will also likely need to obtain a Windows licence
    Thanks, how long afterwards do you have to get a windows license? (edited)
's avatar