Posted 5 days ago

Mobiles (Android) best way to move everything from my old phone to new phone

Hi,

What is the most pain free way to all but copy my old phone info/settings/data onto the new phone?

I see many phone junkies on here saying they have maybe 3/4 phones a year so they must have a super simple way to transfer everything over?

I have a few apps (investments) that I really need to be 100% will copy over and because I used random generate passwords at a lengthy char rate, didn't want to sit here all week entering passwords.
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    I'm worried about this too as have banking and health apps. I do get Google to generate a lot of passwords and so can get Google to restore a phone and use cloud passwords but many use my finger print and so not sure how that carries over to a new device. (edited)
    At least for apps that use fingerprints etc, they'll need to re-registered

So you'll like to sign in using your password initially and then re-enable fingerprint ID
    I did it a few months ago and it was just a USB C to USB C cable. Back up WhatsApp to Google drive first. Other than that, everything transferred fine.

As you say, passwords have to be re-entered before using finger print, sadly.
    Just update your Google back up on your old phone ( and your Whatsapp if you want to keep conversations). On your new phone register with the Google email you used on your old phone and the phone will do the rest ( need to connect to WiFi). Details here - support.google.com/and…-GB
    That's what everyone told me last time I moved phone, but the Android to Android reality was not at all seamless.

A coherent, consistent method of moving seamlessly from one Android device to another is probably the only feature in which iOS is still a million miles ahead of Android.
    likely you will have to re-enter the passwords.

for security reasons even using the methods that copy your data and apps etc over from one device to another (Google Cloud, smart switch etc) will still require you to reauthenticate on first run of the app on the new device.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with app passwords being stored in backups, as much as it's a pain having to enter them on each new device I think I prefer that extra layer of security. I just prepare before swapping devices to make sure I know the passwords for each app before trying to login to a new device (edited)
    I know what you mean when games don't up date , OH plays one game on 3 devices and if they don't up date within minutes she get a right mood on.

Did the switchover work ok for you in the end? I'm about to embark on same
's avatar