Posted 22 December 2022

Running Ethernet Through a Ceiling

Hi, My Router is in the hallway and I want to get an ethernet cable directly to the room above it.

My walls are all solid brick so going through walls is pretty much impossible. However, is going up through a ceiling easy?

My thoughts were to drill a hole through the ceiling as far as I can go and then work out roughly where this would be in the room above and drill a hole down, then fish the cable through. Am I asking for trouble?!

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment

37 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Dude this is a bad plan. In the ceiling there's loads of power cables and water pipes. You'll be better going upstairs, pull the carpet in the area you want the cable to come up. Remove the floor board above the area then drill down. That way you can see the cables and pipes and you won't punch a hole in a water pipe and turn your home into a swimming pool.

Good luck.
    Author
    The room above has wood flooring so it's not that easy lol
    Wait until after the new year to drill any holes.
    The call out charge from the plumber will be cheaper than during the holiday period.
    And the ambulances/nurses situation should have eased by then, should you electrocute yourself.
    Author
    Thanks all. If my wifi is strong in the upstairs room, can a BT Wifi disc make things more stable, especially if an ethernet switch is connected to the disc?
    Why do you need this if WiFi is strong anyway?
    Get a powerline adapter.
    TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Starter Kit
    Author
    I thought about that but my wifi is pretty solid. I get 65mbps wired and wireless. Surely a powerline adapter won't be as good as a wired connection?
    Only if you hit something, heating pipes, electric cables, body previous owner hid under floorboards etc.
    I remember hubby once drilling a small hole to lift a floor board so that he could see where the pipes and wires were when he started fitting the central heating system. The first hole went straight through a black plastic water pipe (old house).
    I was away, but having turned off the water and got quite a lot up with a dustpan and buckets he did a reasonable job with 4 hired dehumidifiers before I got back.

PS. know where the water stopcock is before you start.
    Author
    I do have 3 BT Wifi discs that I've never opened, however that again is wifi and can't be as good as ethernet can it?
    I was thinking about plugging one in and running an ethernet cable from it to an ethernet switch, but we're just playing with wifi still right?
    Plug one wifi disc into the router. The second disc plug into the electric socket upstairs.
    If you already have a strong wifi signal this will only make a slight improvement to the wifi. Still worth a try to see how much it improves.

For wired devices only, then a powerline adapter is just the same as having a long ethernet cable and much easier to setup.
    The speeds will be faster than wifi. Obviously no drops on the ethernet unless you have an issue with your internet connection.
    The main thing about powerline adapters is to avoid having to drill through walls etc, just to get a ethernet cable through. (edited)
    Ethernet will always be better but obviously WiFi adapters is much easier. I have Ethernet running through the ceiling, was easy enough to do, as said just watch out for any pipes or cables.
    Author
    How did you ensure not to hit pipes or anything? How did you actually get a hole from down to up without hitting anything?
    At 65mbps you'll be good with powerline or WiFi discs. Unless you need cross device bandwidth, ie internally streaming from a server. 
    In my mind wired is always best. I have a really good Mesh system in the house but I still prefer wired where possible. We have Hard flooring downstairs, and carpets upstairs. I used some 30m Flat cat 7 cables to run from the hall to the upstairs (hiding it behind the hard flooring edge batons, and then under the carpet upstairs. I put an 8 port Switch at the first port of call upstairs and then repeated flat cables into each bedroom from that point. My missues hates wire and she's never even seen them yet so it must work

Edit - For clarification, I went from the hall, up the stairs into the closest bedroom, with a 30 meter cat 7 cable. fitted an 8 port switch behind a wardrobe and then ran 2 more flat cables to the other bedrooms. Absolutely soild network for me. (edited)
    The usual precautions when drilling - water pipes, electrics etc, hopefully your ceiling/floor isn't concrete either which makes it a tad more difficult to drill through. I'm guessing you don't want to tack the cable along the wall (or behind the skirting)? Or drill to an outside wall and feed the cable on the outside. Virgin Media did that for my initial cable install - however the recent work had them drill through the almost centre of my stone cladding on the front of my house!
    I have solid walls in my house. It's not that hard to drill out. When we had full fibre installed I wanted rj45 wall sockets in 2 rooms upstairs so we went out under the floorboard downstairs where my router is and luckily there was an air brick so we have 2 cat6 cables coming out of that and one goes up under the roof tiles into a loft room. The other one we drilled a hole through a bedroom wall to the outside wall and passed the cable through using rods to connect it upto a socket.
    Easier to invest money in a GOOD mesh wifi system. Honestly, the way things are going with mesh, for the majority of households, even the thought of running ethernet anywhere won't be worth the effort.

Depending on funds, I'd suggest the best of the best, get the Asus XT8. Buy once and all that...
    Better to go from above down. Use gravity.

There will be a joist along edge on 2 sides of the room so best not run cable there.

Floor joist run other way to loft ceiling joists to work out which walls have joist at the edge, or lift carpet and look at floor board joists fixing screws.
    Drill hole
    Get long screwdriver and pushed through plasterboard below or drill up through having looked through floor hole to check all clear.

Push something through holes with string attached using gravity. Tie string to cable and pull through. Get small trunking from DIY down corner for cable
    I would use a long screwdriver to make a hole up through the plasterboard ceiling as Wayners suggests. Don't inhale the dust, if there is any pre 1999 artex it will likely contain asbestos. A screwdriver won't damage any cables that might be resting on top the plasterboard, or puncture any pipes. Check where any pipes under the floor are run (water, gas and central heating) before drilling through floorboards.

If you have plaster coving you'll need to slot it with a stanley knife or a multitool. It's quite easy to make coving good with a plaster based filler afterwards. You'll also want to slot the skirting board as running a cable up in front would look horrid.

I've chased out lots of channels for cabling in our house, some by hand some with the help of a SDS drill fitted with a chisel, you can also get a double bladed wall chaser for the job. Worse job was making a deep, wide channel up the wall when I fitted a modern consumer unit, as I found engineering bricks and several spare concrete lintels had been used to construct the wall! Burying networking cable is easy compared to that.

Buy ethernet wall sockets and proper solid copper core cat5E or better network cable (avoid CCA and CCS) rather than using a long patch lead. (edited)
    You need these. Turn mains sockets into ethernet ports
    ebay.co.uk/itm…987
    When I needed to run ethernet from one part of the house to another, I drilled through the double skinned external house wall, led the ethernet cable round the outside of the house then back in via a convenient fan duct hole. The 15m cable was literally £1 from the Pound Shop, not UV resistant yet has held up for 10 years. It doesn't bottleneck my 100 Mbps broadband.
    Just a reminder, if you already have coax cabling done, you can use existing coax cables with Moca adapter and can get 1gbps speeds.
's avatar