Posted 23 January 2024

Sky Q Box Alternative

Cutting costs and need to get rid of Sky. Currently have a Sky Q box. I understand if I connect my old Sky+ box up again, it won’t work due to the LNB on the dish.

What is the cheapest box I can get to replace the Sky Q box (to get all the free to air channels)
Community Updates
New Comment

25 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    Any idea if it’s difficult to change the LNB? Looks like it’s around £35 from Amazon. If it’s as simple as taking off and putting on a new one I could maybe do it. Not sure if I could adjust angle of dish if required.
    Author
    So apparently I’m still in contract until June! Had no idea. Anyway, have downgraded to the essentials package which cut my bill in half. Best I could do until my contract runs out.
    The Arris 4K Freesat boxes are pretty much all you can get nowadays. These support the new LNBs.

If you want to do it the absolute cheapest way it's possibly worth considering downgrading your LNB and using the older boxes.

I would personally recommend the Arris though. It's going to cost a decent amount to buy, but they work well (or at least they do now, after a few years worth of updates to fix issues since launch) and will support the apps and players you might want to use too - Something you won't get with the old boxes.

Compared to what you were paying Sky each month, it probably won't take too long until it's effectively paid off.

I don't suppose you have a TV Aerial? If you do, Freeview and YouView devices tend to be much cheaper.
    Personal opinion on the Arris (Freesat branded) boxes are definitely mixed. My opinion, is when it works it's fine. But I have had issues at time with really sluggish performance at times, issues with recordings, and have seen some problems with drive failures etc. Opinions are quite strong on the AVForums about it as well.

But yes, unless you want to wander into the non-branded satellite world, it's about the only choice for recording Freesat.
    Curveball bypass of actual Q (sic) and just responding to the thread title of "Sky Q Box Alternative":

old skool aerial and £68 or £78 multi-tuner BT Pro 4K UHD Freeview box complete with 2 yrs warranty - so popular as the definitive FV box they are often not in stock
    uk.webuy.com/sea…+4K
    Author
    Thanks. So the only thing I’ll need for this is the Ariel on my roof? No dish required?
    With the recent price hikes coming I've decided to ditch Sky. What's the best Box/device I can get to watch Free view and record off TV?
    Arris 4K Freesat box if you want to keep using satellite.

Sagemcom RTIW387 (YouView Pro) if you want to use an aerial.

I have both in my house and would happily recommend either. CeX often have them available with 2 year warranties too.
    I'm happy with my 4k Youview box.
    Can you link it?
    Near identical Q last month.
    Solution was the BT Pro 4K UHD Freeview box and old skool aerial:
    hotukdeals.com/com…970
's avatar