Posted 22 hours ago

What TV do I need to get Freeview channels via wifi (if that's possible!)

I'm looking to buy a TV for elderly parents for use in a warmer room than the living room.

There is no aerial socket in the warmer room so I am wondering if I buy a Smart TV that has wi-fi and connect it to the wi-fi in the house, will it be able to get Freeview programmes like BBC1, BBC2, etc.,?

Or will I only be able to get BBC iPlayer for example instead of the live channels?

I really need an option that lets them choose a channel like they are used to doing.

Any TV recommendations sub £500 would be appreciated too.
Community Updates
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Not yet possible.

Your options for streaming TV are Sky Stream (and Glass), Virgin Media Stream, or BT/EE TV.

Freeview over the internet is coming but we don't know when yet. The upcoming Manhattan T4 and T4R Boxes are set to support it when it releases. But I don't believe there are any TVs that are set to have guaranteed support just yet.

Your other option as you say is using smart apps to stream channels through the players that way.

Thinking of other options, Humax have rather basic multiroom support with some of their Freeview Play boxes. You can use streaming apps as well as streaming recordings from the main box to the multiroom boxes. But last time I checked you still couldn't stream the live channels.

Finally, how about an indoor TV aerial? If you get a decent one, it may well pick up channels just fine especially if close to a window pointing in the direction of your nearest transmitter or repeater station. Mine is a good distance away from the transmitter, but ever since the digital switchover completed and the transmission power was increased, I can now receive *almost* all Freeview channels via indoor antenna. This was the solution for my conservatory rather than having to run a new cable to support it.
    I recommend a one for all signal booster if you get an indoor aerial.
    I'm sure you've considered this. Recently my aerial blew down and it was £100 to have a new one. Might be easier to get someone to fit a loft aerial or add a new cable from the existing one.
    Really just a thought.
    Author
    Yes I had considered this, but hoped that a Smart TV plus wi-fi might do the trick (I'm not the most up to date with tech!). I suppose I just don't understand how live TV works nowadays and thought you might no longer need a dish or aerial if you had wi-fi.
    if they only watch channels 1-5, then they can just sign in to each app, and watch live tv .

other channels beyond this, I don’t know if UKTV Play would help? .
    OP - once signed in, they don't need to sign in again, so only the first time that the app is accessed.
    There are many ways to achieve similar functionality. Using a Smart TV with Plex you can watch TV programs. Other plug-ins such as IPTV allow watching live TV streams. It depends on what Smart TV you choose and what plug ins it supports. You can also purchase an external box to run the apps - Firestick, Google, etc...
    I got this TV (LG 32LM637BPLA 32" Smart HD Ready HDR LED TV) a couple of years ago from Currysclearance store on eBay. I use it in a bedroom with no aerial connected but using the TV's WiFi connection instead. I can watch channels 1-5 using their apps (iPlayer, itvx etc) and loads of other channels such as UKTV play, Amazon prime, Netflix and YouTube through their apps. I did have to sign in to each app when I first used them and very occasionally I am asked to sign in again but doesn't take long to do. All I looked for when buying was a TV that had its own WiFi receiver and Freeview Play. So, in short, it is possible to watch TV without an aerial connection!!!!
    Just another thought - get a splitter/booster box. Put it in the living room and then lay one coax cable to the existing telly and another to the telly in the warmer room. It may mean a long coax cable routing around skirting boards and drilling through some walls. Works in our house. Next time the carpet is raised the cable will be put under the floor.
    There’s a great little app for the Apple TV called TV Launcher. It aggregates all the streaming apps into a Freeview style interface with a TV guide and now and next, allowing you to launch the live TV streams directly from it.
    One problem watching through apps is that you are not allowed to record and so are forced to watch adverts rather than fast forwarding.
    Elderly parents - Smart TV apps, IPTV, streaming boxes etc...don't do it....honestly its going to confuse the hell out of them and they won't thank you for it. Sure a Smart TV with apps in ADDITION to freeview channels is a nice option but keep it as an OPTION. They will just want to turn the TV on, view the TV Guide and watch Antiques Road trip, Cash in the Attic etc..

Either get a decent quality split feed from the main aerial (its honestly very easy and cheap to do) or try an indoor aerial (buy from Amazon, if signal not good enough send it back (y))
    Excellent and realistic comment which if I can reiterate says keep it simple for the elderly near and dear ones
's avatar