Posted 3 December 2023

Xmas day doorstep visit with free hamper for the lonely who live in Bristol, South Gloucestershire or North Somerset @ Marmalade Trust

marmaladetrust.org/chr…mas

My family volunteered for this last year and are doing so again as it was lovely visiting and chatting to people who would have been alone otherwise. The free Christmas meal is all booked up, sorry, I didn't think to post this sooner.

Christmas time usually conjures up joyful images of family and friends celebrating, exchanging gifts, excited chatter and delicious food. For some people, however, it can be a dreaded, sad and lonely time. Marmalade Trust understands how difficult Christmas can be for someone who is struggling with loneliness.

We don’t want anyone to spend Christmas Day alone if they don’t want to, so we invite them to join us for a free festive lunch on the big day, or a doorstep visit. Members are those who feel particularly lonely and isolated this year, for example, a person of an older age who may have no family or friends around. Everyone is made to feel part of the Marmalade family!

"It means everything to know someone cares. Without Marmalade Trust, I wouldn't have spoken to or seen anyone over Christmas. I'm so grateful."

Referrals are open!
Please note - our Christmas Day meal events are now fully booked. However, we are still accepting referrals for our doorstep festive social visits! Please see the eligibility criteria. The doorstep visit with a friendly volunteer is a great way to enjoy the festivities and conversation on Christmas Day.

PROJECTS
Christmas Cheer.
Bringing joy and companionship to people who would otherwise be alone on Christmas Day.
Christmas time usually conjures up joyful images of family and friends celebrating, exchanging gifts, excited chatter and delicious food. For some people, however, it can be a dreaded, sad and lonely time. Marmalade Trust understands how difficult Christmas can be for someone who is struggling with loneliness.

We don’t want anyone to spend Christmas Day alone if they don’t want to, so we invite them to join us for a free festive lunch on the big day, or a doorstep visit. Members are those who feel particularly lonely and isolated this year, for example, a person of an older age who may have no family or friends around. Everyone is made to feel part of the Marmalade family!

"It means everything to know someone cares. Without Marmalade Trust, I wouldn't have spoken to or seen anyone over Christmas. I'm so grateful."

Referrals are open!
Please note - our Christmas Day meal events are now fully booked. However, we are still accepting referrals for our doorstep festive social visits! Please see the eligibility criteria. The doorstep visit with a friendly volunteer is a great way to enjoy the festivities and conversation on Christmas Day.

"I was so nervous, but it was so wonderful, I haven't laughed that much for years. The volunteer was lovely"
Eligibility for Christmas Cheer 2023

We can accept people who

Would otherwise be alone on Christmas Day (no family, friends or neighbours to see on Christmas Day) and feeling lonely most or all the time

Live in Bristol, South Gloucestershire or North Somerset

Live on their own, in their own home, rented or owned, (i.e. not a nursing home or sheltered housing where meals are provided in the company of others)

Are comfortable making and remembering the necessary arrangements with volunteers

Are not experiencing a mental health crisis or drug/alcohol abuse

For meal events

Are able to self-mobilise (this can include wheelchair users who can self-transfer), get in & out of transport, and be happy seated at a table with other members and volunteers, and look after their own personal care

For doorstep visits

Are able to come to their door, receive a gift and have a chat (Our volunteers are not able to enter properties)

We are unable to take forward referrals which do not also include the referrers’ contact details. This information is vital for us in situations where we cannot get hold of someone or if we are unable to take them forward for the option selected.

Self-referrals

If you would like to take part, please call our small, friendly team on 07566 244788 who will discuss the options with you.
Community Updates
New Comment

1 Comment

's avatar
    This should be nation wide. Yes it's sad in our 4 nations that it needs to be done, but the government aren't listening.