Posted 10 February 2023

Youtube Premium and VISA Cards

I received a Youtube email today, stating :-
"Due to a recent change in Argentina, payments maybe declined if your card was not issued by an Argentine bank.
Please update your payment method or your subscription may be suspended."

Anyone else had this? I've done ok with RVLT for quite a while :-(
Community Updates
New Comment

99 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It's just allowed me to update it to Revolute Mastercard (without VPN). Whether it'll go through or not is another matter! (edited)
    [deleted]
    How do you stack the india subscription
    Are people adding Mastercards as backups to their Visa, or removing their Visa completely and adding in MasterCard as their primary?
    Backup
    Updated my card from Revolut to Monzo Mastercard and payment went through today. Phew. 
    I've been to India, but that was blocked a while ago.

I don't mind where I go, just want cheaper YouTube
    India still works fine for me
    Me too. Where do we move to now?
    Interesting. I've had mine in Argentina for a long time but I haven't had an email yet. I've got mine on a Starling Virtual Mastercard and it went out fine on the 1st of Feb so we'll have to see next month.

I moved from India because of the banking situation there in the first place.

I knew all of this VPN stuff would become more difficult eventually but I still don't like it that it's happening now
    I'm pretty sure it only effects Visa card payments
    I’ve also had the email but waiting at the moment, I did also have my Revolut tidal ARS payment declined last week and generated a new Revolut card which was a Mastercard this time and it accepted it so fingers crossed the same will work for YouTube ?
    Hi - how do you get mastercard on revolut? *** Edit *** I went to help and asked "can I get a virtual MasterCard as the shop no longer supports visa?" and someone came on and just made me one!

Will test it now (edited)
    Author
    Updated to Mastercard now for Tidal too.
    1st Payment out in a week.
    Lets see mines 1st Feb, thanks for starting the post,
    My newly added revolut MasterCard went through today. Thanks for the tip !!
    Edit added as backup (edited)
    James did you add back up or remove old one and add MasterCard?
    Same here bud just dropped in my inbox (edited)
    You'll have to fly to India from Argentina then
    Author
    RVLT do a virtual Mastercard too. Is it just VISA affected?
    Yup, same here. I reckon Turkey is my next destination
    Think they setting us up for 1st March , won't go through. Son is on holiday in India at the moment, tempted to get him to create a gmail account and use uk MasterCard see if that works. Then.add family plan users to that (edited)
    iirc, you can only move to another family group after 12months from leaving the last
    Same here, any thoughts on a way round?
    my crypto.com visa debit card stopped working as everyone else’s did.

I used tunnelbear app for vpn on my iPhone to connect to argentina

then used my monzo mastercard as visa is the issue in Argentina and updated my payment details to monzo Mastercard no issue.

sorted.
    I added my Monzo mastercard, with my uk details, as backup.

Not sure if that would work.

Will have to see
    Also changed to a revolut mastercard, fingers crossed it goes through. If not hopefully vanced still works.
    Hi can you explain how you did this please, Did you go into your gmail account, one with family gmail accounts added and add the card there? I see my profile in there with the Argentina payments going out but no option to add a new card there. Did you do it with Argentina vpn on?
    Had problems adding cards when with YT India. I switched to Turkey and no issues since with Revolut. Turkey costs around £2.60 per month. Slightly more than India's £2 a month.
    Is it just the free Revolut card you chaps use?
    Yes.
    Does say 'maybe declined' so I'm going to wait and see before changing anything. Hopefully we my get lucky!
    That's for the tips, I changed mine to my Revolut Master card - I didn't even know I had one.
    Appears that any changes don't seem to affect mastercards which is handy, although I do think sooner or later they'll adopt the same approach as the likes of Spotify, Deezer e.t.c... and ping your card location to ensure you're in the country you're trying to subscribe from.
    Yes I got the same message, I was thinking is there a way around this? Any tips is appreciated.
    Thanks,anyone advise how to change to MasterCard. Have rev lt virtual MasterCard. Do I add new payment on gmail account which has family plan users attached to it? Will do on desktop not mobile. That's in advance
    add it to the backup payment option, i would think that would work
    Received that email yesterday
    Mine also the same
    I take it a Mastercard will be ok

Won't even load the subscription page for me when using a VPN for Argentina, India or Turkey.

My family sub has just expired, got the email yesterday, expired today. Nice timing there. So would like to get it sorted. Didn't realise how bad the quantity of adverts had become.

Brazil seems to be working and at about £5.50 per month is still about 1/4 of the price in the UK.
    Might be checking to see if your gmail account a Argentina, India, Turkey original account. Try creating new gmail account (vpn on)in those regions, with No old gmail profiles in Google Chrome or cache open. Then open YouTube and see if premium option comes up. Add family plan in Google before you sign up as I think you cannot add it afterwards. Good luck
    I've added my Chase Bank Mastercard Debit Card as my backup card. Hopefully that will be OK if they stop payment from my Visa Card.
    Where do you add the backup card? In YouTube or Google settings?
    Thanks for the update on this. Added a Mastercard as a backup via VPN. Let's see what happens.
    What type of Mastercard… Bank of Scotland?
    guys, which vpn are you using to connect to india?

without vpn I just added Revolut and accepted for this month as a single payment but not as regular payment. (edited)
    keep the comments coming in that it worked, good to hear.
    Just created a Mastercard virtual card in Revolut and added as backup via YouTube payments using vpn on browser. Fingers crossed that does the trick.
    Author
    I had my latest payment go through ok yday.
    I set RVLT mastercard as primary. (edited)
    I have a free RVLT card. its a visa debit. how do I create a master card? Thanks
    Author
    You can get a new virtual card via the app. Swipe thru the card choices to select a MasterCard one.
    RVLT chat created me one.
    Thanks
    Mine is about to expire. Do I cancel it now and sign back up as Indian or whatever?
    do you need to be on the vpn to create a revolut mastercard? is it just a case of getting live chat to create one and adding the card to backup payment? no vpn?
    VPN is just to add payment details. Revolut is through the app.
's avatar