FB Messenger not working on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5

Posted 13th Feb 2023
I noticed very recently that I cannot open FB Messenger on my trusty. Xiaomi Redmi Note 5. It is using MIUI 11.0.3.0.
I have removed and reloaded the app from Play Store and cleared the cashe.
Is my phone just too old to support Messenger now?
Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
Community Updates
New Comment

12 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    KodaBear
    Have you tried Messenger Lite? Does that work? Doesn’t explain your issue, but it would hopefully keep you going for now. It’s got a much lower requirement and should work better on old or low end hardware.
    weeZl Author
    Thanks. I've tried lite, but still won't load up old messages. Are there any key settings I should be making? It's been a while since it was originally set up on the phone
    Mendoza
    years ago when I was on Facebook, I used to use an app, I believe was called friendcaster (because the official FB app, ate battery like crazy)
    steveaiden
    I have a redmi note 6 pro and my messenger cannot be opened anymore. This started last Friday. I'm going to look for and install an older version of messenger.
    steveaiden
    It worked
    weeZl Author
    How did you find an older version?
    echo06
    Gonna try the suggestions in here. Two days I've not been able to get into two accts. I force stopped/cleared cache. Restarted phone/uninstalled reinstalled and still not opening via the app, fb app/fb website. Using redmi note 7
    weeZl Author
    It happened again to me also a few days ago. I just deleted the app and reloaded a slightly older version from updown or downup (can't remember), but it worked straight away
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants