Travel Around the UK For Less With Megabus Discounts
Megabus may be a familiar part of the UK transport sector nowadays, with their recognisable chubby mascot and the bright livery of their buses, but they are a relative newcomer to the scene.
The company was founded in 2003 as a low-cost competitor to firms like National Express and the UK’s railway franchises. From a single London to Oxford route, the company rapidly added more journeys, covering the entirety of the UK mainland.
From 2010, Megabus added international routes to its schedules, running buses to Ireland, and then to France and Belgium from London Victoria Coach Station. Nowadays, you can travel as far as Berlin and Toulouse, Barcelona and Milan on the Megabus network, and always at prices that beat aviation and rail transport.
Where to Purchase Megabus Tickets
Megabus were one of the pioneers of online ticket bookings, and their website is still the place to go to secure a seat on one of their buses. Simply head to www.megabus.com and use their online booking form to find the tickets you need.
Products Available at Megabus.co.uk
- Bus Booking With Megabus - The core of the Megabus website is the company’s bus booking system. This form allows you to specify the number of travellers, your destination, date and concessions (and also has a field for the promotional codes available at HotUKDeals). With this form you can arrange trips to cities like: London, Exeter, Bristol, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Paris, Brussels, Dublin, Milan, Venice and many more.
- Bus Stop Finder - The site also includes a handy location finder. With this tool, you can select your departure and arrival stops and find out exactly where they are situated, helping with your onward travel. When passengers book with Megabus, there is no need to check their luggage or pay for additional weights. However, there is a maximum allowance of 20kg per passenger.
- Megabus Gold - Megabus also runs a service called Megabus Gold, which provides luxury coach experiences from London to Scottish destinations. Gold services feature add-ons like free wi-fi, on-board catering and, most importantly, roomy bunks to facilitate overnight journeys.
- Megatrain - In addition to their bus services, Megabus also offer a service called Megatrain. When you head to the Megatrain website, you can purchase rail tickets on any companies run by Megabus’ parent company, Stagecoach. This includes South West Trains and East Midlands Trains services. However, be aware that there may not be Megatrain seats on every rail service, and that they are subject to availability. However, when they are available, there are few cheaper ways to book UK rail tickets.
- Timetables - If you’d like to find out more about the Megabus timetable, the easiest way to do so is via the megabus.com search engine. Alternatively, you can head to individual destination pages for every city Megabus travels to, and they will contain relevant bus schedules and any special offers currently available for travel to those destinations.
Booking Bus or Train Tickets with Megabus.com
Purchasing tickets with Megabus is simple and everything is covered by the megabus.co.uk website. There is no need to join the Megabus community or submit a range of personal details as with some transport companies. Instead, you can simply pay as a guest in a few seconds. However, you do need to add your address details as part of the credit card verification process, and you can choose to provide your mobile number to receive SMS travel alerts.
Payment Methods Accepted by Megabus.co.uk
Megabus.co.uk accepts the following payment methods for its bus and train tickets: PayPal, MasterCard, VISA credit, VISA debit, Maestro and JCB. All transactions are protected by WorldPay, keeping your details secure during the payment process.
Sales at Megabus
More than anything else, Megabus are known for their extremely low fares. They offer discounts every day of the year, instead of tabling flash sales or major sales events to coincide with Christmas or Black Friday. However, there are some one-off events worth looking out for. For example, Megabus regularly run a winter promotion to promote out of season travel. Whenever you need to travel, check the Megabus HotUKDeals listings and to find the best deals for journeys all over the UK and Europe.
Megabus Loyalty Schemes
Megabus doesn’t offer a loyalty scheme of its own, but they have partnered with Tesco Clubcard to offer discounted travel. If you are a Clubcard holder and intend to travel long distance, you can exchange your Clubcard points for Megabus vouchers. Up to £50 of vouchers can be redeemed on any single journey.
How to Cancel Megabus Tickets
If you have booked Megabus tickets but don’t intend to travel anymore, you may not be able to obtain a refund. Megabus state that they will not provide refunds once tickets have been booked.
However, you do have the option of changing your booking up to 24 hours before departure (48 hours for Megatrain tickets):
- If you’d like to change your booking, go to the Customer Services section of the Megabus site.
- Now, click on the “Manage reservations” link and then “Modify bookings”.
- Enter your reservation number when requested along with any other information Megabus requires. When you’re done, the amendments should be made straight away.
- If you do choose to change your booking, remember that you will only be changing one leg of your journey at a time. If you need to change both a departure and return journey, they will need to be amended separately.
- For any more information regarding cancelling and amending bookings, you can also phone the Megabus Customer Services team on 0141 3524444.
Finding Megabus on Social Media
Megabus has a lively social media presence, and their channels are always an excellent place to find out which journeys are discounted and for general travel ideas. You can find them at:
Another good place to look for information is Sid's Blog (Sid being the Megabus mascot), where you’ll find plenty of updates about Megabus discounts along with giveaways and social media competitions.
Getting in touch with Megabus is easy and you can reach their customer service team via the following methods:
- Phone: 0141 3524444
- E-mail: [email protected]
- You can also write to Megabus at the following address:
- Customer Services
Buchanan Bus Station
Glasgow, G2 3NW
Then again, if you have a regular customer query, it might be best to consult their comprehensive FAQ section before calling or e-mailing.
Make Big Savings on Bus and Train Travel with Megabus
Megabus has revolutionised the way British people travel, offering incredibly cheap bus and train tickets to destinations all over the country. Whether you need to see friends in Manchester, attend a music festival in Devon or want to enjoy a city break in York, check out the Megabus discounts at HotUKDeals before you book anything.