Selfridges – A Department Store Legend
The American Harry Gordon Selfridge founded Selfridges more than 100 years ago with the idea of creating what he called a "Theatre of retail". The flagship store, on London's Oxford Street, opened in 1909 and is today one of the most glamorous shopping locations in Britain. The store is renowned for its wide range of premium brands and for its women's and men's fashion departments. The January sale attracts bargain hunters from around the world. Selfridges now has three other stores. There are two in Manchester, one in the centre of the city at Exchange Square and one just outside the city at the Trafford Centre. A store in Birmingham, with striking contemporary architecture, opened in 2003 and Selfridges has also built a comprehensive online presence at www.selfridges.com. The Canadian investor Galen Weston bought Selfridges in 2003, with the aim of retaining and building on the illustrious history of Selfridges. A popular television series, 'Mr Selfridge', has dramatised the beginnings of the Selfridges story.
Selfridges - Storefinder and Online Shop
Selfridges has four physical stores, with each having its own dedicated web page on selfridges.com . The flagship store is on London's Oxford Street while there are also stores at Manchester's Exchange Square, Manchester's Trafford Centre and in Birmingham.
The comprehensive online shop is located at selfridges.com and offers all of the many departments of the physical stores as well as the leading brands that Selfridges stocks.
Product range and top brands at Selfridges.com
The Selfridges online shop at selfridges.com is, like the physical stores, divided into departments. The website's departments are:
- Women: Clothing, Shoes, Bags, Accessoires; e. g. dresses, tops, trousers, skirts, jackets and coats, boots and heels.
- Men: Clothing, Shoes, Bags, Accessoires; e. g. tops, shirts, jeans, swimwear, boots and trainers.
- Bags: Womens, Mens, Luggage; e. g. backpacks, clutch bags, shoulder bags, suitcases and cabin luggage.
- Shoes: Womens, Mens, Kids; e. g. heels, flats, trainers, sandals and boots.
- Beauty: Skincare, Make up, Bath & Bodycare, Fragrance and Men´s Grooming.
- Kids: Baby, Shoes, Girls, Boys, Toys
- Home & Tech: Home items for Kitchen, Dining & entertaining, Household electrical, Candles & fragrance, Decorative accessories, Books & stationery, Bathroom, Bedroom, Outdoors, Technology items like iPads & tablets, iPods & MP3 Players, Televisions, Headphones, Cameras, Audio & Hi-Fi, Computing, Gaming, Phones and Wearable technology.
- Foodhall: Wine & Spirits, Food; e. g. champagne, wine, beers, chocolade, candy, biscuits, tea, coffee, oils and vinegars.
- Wonder Room
- Gifts: Watches, Accessories, Fine Jewellery; e. g. rings, bracelets, earrings, necklaces and pendants.
An "Inspiration" section offers furthermore weekly fashion ideas.
Selfridges features a wide range of the world's leading fashion brands. Among the top brands available are:
Deals at Selfridges
Selfridges has a permanent online Sales & Reductions page, which is always worth browsing for reductions in all departments of the store.
The best deals at Selfridges, however, are to be found in its sales which are held twice each year, once in winter and once in summer. Customers can learn the exact dates in advance by signing up to the company's mailing list at.
The store's January sale in particular attracts bargain hunters from around the world who queue up outside the Oxford Street store for the best bargains. Online shoppers are advised to login to the site as early as possible to locate the best deals.
Ordering Products from Selfridges.com
Selfridges doesn't require customers to create an account when ordering and if you'd prefer, you can checkout as a guest. The store notes that should you choose to create an account, future orders can be placed faster and orders can be more easily tracked and amended.
Accepted Payment Methods at Selfridges
Most credit cards are accepted for payment at selfridges.com. The stores accepts: Visa Debit Cards, MasterCards, Visa Credit Cards, American Express Cards, Maestro Cards, Electron Cards, Creation Cards. PayPal is also accepted as payment.
The store's website automatically calculates delivery costs after customers enter the delivery postcode on the Checkout page. Depending on the item, standard delivery begins at £5. There's also the useful facility of selecting delivery on a nominated day and time, which is ideal for customers with a busy schedule. Charges for this service start at £8.
A Click and Collect service is also available, allowing customers to nominate a store where they'd like to pick up their orders. Orders placed before 22:00 can be picked up instore the next day from noon. This very useful service attracts no extra charge.
Cancellations and Returns at Selfridges.com
Selfridges offers a full refund and returns service provided customers return goods within 28 days of delivery or instore collection of the items ordered. All products, the store stresses, must be both new and unused, with labels and tags intact. Products must be in their original packaging.
Returns and exchanges – even if customers have made their purchases online – can be made at any of the four department stores that Selfridges has throughout the UK. Don´t forget to take a note of your purchase with you.
For returns by post, customers should:
- Locate the returns label within the packaging of the original item.
- Fill in whats being returning and why.
- Peel the label off and attach to the exterior of the parcel.
If customers have lost the returns label, Selfridges have a helpful web page illustrating a printable label.
Parcels should then be forwarded to Selfridges using:
- The Royal Mail for items valued below £250. This service is free when any Royal Mail Post Office is used.
- A complimentary courier service for items valued above £250. This service is available by calling the customer services team on 0800 123400.
Selfridges undertakes to process all returns within 14 days.
Selfridges on Social Media
The store has an extensive social media presence, and is available on:
Selfridges Happy App
The whole product range of Selfridges with one finger tip? No problem with the Selfridges app. Officially called the Happy app, the application offers you:
How to Contact Selfridges
Selfridges has a customer services phone line that's open 7 days a week. The line is staffed from 9:00 to 22:00 Monday to Saturday and on Sundays between 10:00 to 18:00. From within the UK, customers should call 0800 123400, and from abroad +44 113 3698040. E-mails can be sent to [email protected] and for customers who prefer to write to Selfridges, the address is:
- Selfridges & Co
- 400 Oxford Street
- London,W1A 1AB
- United Kingdom
When you're looking for the best deals from selfridges.com, there's a dedicated page at HotUKDeals to keep you up to date with the best bargains from this merchant.