1914 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Maguire88
    Can we get negative search terms for search and alerts? It can help reduce the amount of false positives that come through as alert notifications and help refine overall search
    awesomegiles26
    marcusjt20/02/2022 12:42

I'd like to be able to filter the tabs by supplier/retailer - so that if …I'd like to be able to filter the tabs by supplier/retailer - so that if I'm ordering something at Currys I can quickly see whether there are any deals at Currys that I might want to add to my cart, ditto with Amazon, etc

If you use the search function, you can type the specific retailer, then select the retailer in the list. The app should then show all 'deals' and they'll be another tab for 'vouchers' for the retailer
    46942570-yr8d6.jpg46942570-nGUk0.jpg (edited)
    vant09
    Android 12 when you change the dpi the list item doesn't expand to the edge of the screen
    47006996-8eugq.jpg
    JUNR786
    rev618/11/2021 14:04

[Image]

That is pretty bad, I'd revert back to 5.27.07 (the last good version before they killed compact) it all went downhill from there and they don't seem to care what the community thinks.
    oldcodger
    Whoever is making the changes needs getting rid of, there's an old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, and HDUK used to work fine, now the ask section hasn't worked properly for months despite many complaints and the new layout stinks, but someone somewhere is so pig headed that that they think they know better than the people who use the site, and as usual they won't bother discussing it just ignore us and or ban us.
    Anonymous User
    mattlabs

...Tell how much you love this app of course

PS.https://images.hotukdeals.com/comments/content/dfJe7/30925023.jpg

waz12345
    For those of you that want to go back to the usable version which is 3.7 you can download it from apk pure with the below link. If you are concerned about clicking links, go to apk pure and download 3.7...you will be saved from the new app!

Also go into he Google play app on your phone, find HUKD app and deselect Auto Update so that you don't get forced into to any new rubbish releases.

HUKD v3.7 on APK Pure

(edited)
    mattlabs Author
    Hey guys!
    First, I completely understand the anger (let's be honest: this thread is supposed to be a rage thread, otherwise I wouldn't have created it).

Regarding the app, I'll give you some context:
    - The app was released in the UK way too early; I pushed it back as long as I could but technical issues forced us to push it on the market, not because no one cares; the beta lasted just a few days, we didn't have time to make some change based on the first feedback, the server migration is still ongoing, I mean, who does that? But, if we hadn't, tens of thousands of users wouldn't have been able to use the previous app anymore.
    - The current app has been available in other countries for a while now. Sure, it got some rage at first too, we listened, added tons of missing features (which to you seem normal because you had them from day 1) and tweaked the interface to satisfy members as much as we could. And now it's getting 5 stars reviews in every countries and (almost) everybody is happy and waiting for the next major update.
    - hotukdeals version of the app needs indeed some major tweaking and, don't worry, it will come. It just can't be done with a snap of the fingers.
    - The categories and Hottest need to be more accessible (the soon-to-come iOS app is completely in phase with this)
    - Discussed feed will be back, I promise
    - Cards will change over the summer
    - Other surprises to come
    In the meantime, remember you're talking about human beings that are trying to provide you with a free no-ad app, and insults never helped bringing better results.

So sit back, relax, enjoy the ride and keep dealing!

(edited)
    redCabbage4
    Usability of the new app is quite poor.

1. Category is one of the most important options and it buried behind slide and 2 clicks. Once the category is selected there is no indication on the main screen what is selected.

If you want to change the category then you have to go through the same process twice as x to clear category refreshes the view and you need to go to select category again.

2. Listing

Original setting for listing shows 2-3 deals per page and there is so much wasted space. Focus should be image of the deal, title and price, not who posted the deal. Even if you choose compact view there is lot of wasted white space and you can see less deals per screen. Giving option for grid view would help.

There is no hottest today/week/month option next to regular categories. Now I have to go to new window. If I am looking for example mobiles, I wan't to see what's hottest and then browse the rest of the deals. With the new app I waste more time to do the same thing.

3. General annoyances

Main menu should have options ALL , DEALS, VOUCHERS etc. not ALL DEALS because it's confusing as freebies are not deals. Also for consistency sake you should use the same wording as the website.

I selected option not to show expired deals and yet when I search for something expired deals show.

Main view has restricted options (highlights, hot, new) I don't want to go to menu every time to change something.

This is what I could find in 5 minutes when I was using the app. You should really listen to your community as app was obviously made by someone who hasn't used the HKUD at all.

(edited)
    Liam_D
    The latest beta update has removed the compact view, and I saw your messaging saying this feature is going to be removed, citing dev costs. It is a shame, but I cannot stand the large view and can't use the app going forward. Can't understand why you would prefer to scroll through 5 massive deals you probably aren't interested in, and compared to seeing 15 or whatever at a time. I don't care about the details of deals I'm not interested in.
    David23
    The new app is appalling, I unfortunately updated to the new version because I was having problems with my alerts on the old version. Within 10 minutes I have totally removed it from my phone.

I am currently looking through APK sites for a copy of the old version and will probably get some virus just because developers could help but mess with something that wasn't broken.

Nearly always with any app a "new and improved" overhaul is utterly terrible. Change for the sake of change. They should but it back the way is was. Have they seen the reviews on Google Play?!!!
    ALBO4EVER
    I really hate it. If it stays like this I would stop using hotuk app
    zee786123
    Pathetic new update please bring back the old layout
    Anonymous User
    fanpages

Sorry I didn't see your (@'username'-based) reply as I am still using the … Sorry I didn't see your (@'username'-based) reply as I am still using the pre-"gopep" version of the main site.

mattlabs

@fanpages it's good actually if you don't like it. It means there's room … @fanpages it's good actually if you don't like it. It means there's room for improvement. Just make some remarks on why you don't like and it will help a lot to make it better

fanpages

I think I covered it in the Beta release's "Feedback thread; comment #22:[ … I think I covered it in the Beta release's "Feedback thread; comment #22:[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/hotukdeals-app-need-android-test-group-about-open-2729331?p=31328446 ]Did you spot these additional threads?[ http://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/subscriptions-have-disappeared-re-subscribe-2731581 ][ http://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/ugh-really-awful-app-update-2732023 ][ http://www.hotukdeals.com/feedback/hate-new-update-2731965 ]Room for improvement #1:Consider removing the "HotUKDeals App - WE NEED YOU! - Android test group about to open.. come join the BETA!" banner message/link, & point to this current thread instead to attract comments here.#2...Don't update (&, arguably, degrade) the Android "app" at the same time many users are being migrated to the "gopep" site design.You (the site; not you personally) have now alienated two distinct groups of users. Yes, there may be some commonality/overlap between the two groups, but possibly those that feel aggrieved by the change to their preferred platform are now having to use a limited experience on an alternate platform.Perhaps you will be lucky to retain the existing members that have both an iOS device & an Android device, but don't count on it.First rule of making changes to any established user experience: Don't mess with too much at once, & certainly give sufficient advance notice (of the change to the mobile/handheld "app"].One of the busiest periods of the year will soon be upon us (with Amazon's Prime Day). I hope the site has the good sense to either rollback at least once set of changes (to either the "app", or to the "gopep" forced uptake) before revenue will be affected in less than one week from now.

fanpages

The banner now reads "HotUKDeals App - Android update LIVE - get the … The banner now reads "HotUKDeals App - Android update LIVE - get the details and feedback" (& redirects to this thread).You're welcome.I presume you will acknowledge my other points &/or reply in due course.

mattlabs

I'd love to, but I fail to see the constructive remarks about the app … I'd love to, but I fail to see the constructive remarks about the app here? Please also refer to my other comments with bullet points

If you cannot appreciate the feedback I provided, (at your request) or do not wish to pass the comments on to the Site Manager, then I can only wish you the very best of luck with your "app", & the site in general.

When you find click-thru affiliate revenue drops because somebody made the decision to change both the site & the (Android) "app" concurrently, then we can talk again, if you wish to.

Back to the (Android) "app" feedback:

Are you designing the (graphical) user interface for the (Android) "app" yourself (as, I presume, the sole developer [too])?

Have you considered engaging the services of somebody with human (computer/handheld/mobile platform) interface design as a primary skill?
    ian18
    jamie1523/10/2020 12:05

The reason why compact view has low amount of users is that most people …The reason why compact view has low amount of users is that most people don't know what it is. If people were given option to choose between the two and shown each one, it would be far more popular.

Probably do not even know it exists and that it makes the site much more user friendly.
    GoshILoveABargain
    I agree it's not a step forward. It's as if the designers have tried to fill every availble white space. Its too cluttered and a little old fashioned looking (and Im a web developer). Im still using the old layout until forced to use the new one. I used the new one for around 2 days and found it was less enticing and did spend less time on it.
    MyNameSucksBad
    This new update is rubbish!!!!!
    skyarsenal
    The Google playstore reviews for the new app are daming all 1 stars from the date the new update was implemented (edited)
    whatever76

Agreed. Sack the IT engineers and give us back the old version!
    m00head
    31410632-8XsQy
    mattlabs Author
    There is a server issue where old keyword results cannot load. We fixed it and testing at the moment. Should be live during weekend or Monday
    Anonymous User
    I thought it was the usual over zealous mod deleting stuff.
    jamie15
    TallYoda19/10/2020 21:46

So I've just briefly moved to standard view to compare and the standard …So I've just briefly moved to standard view to compare and the standard view wastes space. They should really just merge them. There's plenty of room in the compact view for the before price next to current price. Just add another row as big as that underneath to house the other stuff like amount of comments and merchant name. Then you're left with a good compromise - a more compact version of the standard view.

42271047-cLVBF.jpg
    Very poorly drawn but so much wasted space.
    jamie15
    blueflash23/10/2020 11:37

So tried new view on Android and just so much empty space please just move …So tried new view on Android and just so much empty space please just move the bottom text line up, remove empty space .Better still make the compact view the default option

The reason why compact view has low amount of users is that most people don't know what it is. If people were given option to choose between the two and shown each one, it would be far more popular.
    LongestWinter
    Awful change regarding the removal of compact mode. My first thought was an update bug was making it all zoomed in with too much background showing and not enough deals or text.
    Now i know it was deliberate decision to remove the compact view.
    I might have to consider uninstalling the app now as I lose interest if I have to keep scrolling or swiping 2-3 tiles at a time to go move up or down a list, in any app.
    I run a high resolution on my handset in order to see lots of information onscreen at the same time. My eyes can scan and scroll a grid much quicker than my hands/ fingers can move jumbo tiles around onscreen. (edited)
    arctic_cougar
    Large view is inferior. Please listen to you users and bring back compact view.
    adhkarzf
    Anyway of going back to the old layout
    Anonymous User

Sorry I didn't see your (@'username'-based) reply as I am still using the pre-"gopep" version of the main site.

mattlabs

@fanpages it's good actually if you don't like it. It means there's room … @fanpages it's good actually if you don't like it. It means there's room for improvement. Just make some remarks on why you don't like and it will help a lot to make it better

I think I covered it in the Beta release's "Feedback thread; comment #22:

[ hotukdeals.com/fee…446 ]

Did you spot these additional threads?

[ hotukdeals.com/fee…581 ]
    [ hotukdeals.com/fee…023 ]
    [ hotukdeals.com/fee…965 ]

Room for improvement #1:

Consider removing the "HotUKDeals App - WE NEED YOU! - Android test group about to open.. come join the BETA!" banner message/link, & point to this current thread instead to attract comments here.

#2...

Don't update (&, arguably, degrade) the Android "app" at the same time many users are being migrated to the "gopep" site design.

You (the site; not you personally) have now alienated two distinct groups of users. Yes, there may be some commonality/overlap between the two groups, but possibly those that feel aggrieved by the change to their preferred platform are now having to use a limited experience on an alternate platform.

Perhaps you will be lucky to retain the existing members that have both an iOS device & an Android device, but don't count on it.

First rule of making changes to any established user experience: Don't mess with too much at once, & certainly give sufficient advance notice (of the change to the mobile/handheld "app"].

One of the busiest periods of the year will soon be upon us (with Amazon's Prime Day). I hope the site has the good sense to either rollback at least once set of changes (to either the "app", or to the "gopep" forced uptake) before revenue will be affected in less than one week from now.
    scottydd
    The community wants the old version back.
    ibruceuk
    Awful layout. To much space wasted and even the compact view isn't what I would call compact
    waz12345
    Huge step backwards, seriously just rollback & wipe the slate clean and start again. I fail to see what you guys were trying to fix with this new version. People want compact & configurable. We want to see as many relevant deals as quickly as possible. The whitespace, UI flow, menu structure..it's all just terrible in the new version. I've deleted it and we'll be downloading an older version to sideload. If you restrict API access I'll use the chrome version or give up.
    steviep23
    Standard, this happened a good few years back. They will ignore feedback and carry on. It really is brutal but no amount of feedback will help, they will blunder on ahead chanting the mantra most people "love" the new fresh look
    Inquisitor
    I am getting less and less attached to HUKD. Its really sacrificing looks for functionality imo.

Im sorry but- what is the core reason for the revamp? If the system was built wrong in the first place, i can understand a complete rehaul, but very different layout (button clicks etc, and size changes) is just asking for serious trouble.

1) I dont really care who posted it and how many comments are posted already, why put that on the home page? and massive icons too.
    2) what happened to the hot cold on the home page (compact version), do you not think that the most important feature in HUKD besides from looking at the deal?
    3) I assume 99.9% of people use the compact version, unless people like scrolling 1 deal per page. (have you actually looked at how much blank space you have? Text is not actually that much bigger).
    4) I moaned about the swipe back on the comments page, thanks for addressing that.

The app now feels like its for a 5 yr old, its got big buttons, big blank spaces so you dont get confused...oO
    I can see it resembles the Facebook app, but the point of the Facebook app is that it has big pictures, people scroll through the pictures and see "oh thats interesting", then stop. Or maybe you should take a look at the Ebay app layout if you thought the pictures are important. Both of which, they dont have arty farty blank spaces. People who dont have decent content do that. HUKD is not one of these, unless this is the direction its heading?

Edit: Sorry.
    I felt the above is a bit moany.

I just had a look at the new website, I quite like that plus the tiles view is a good idea. That's ticking alot of the boxes.
    Can we replicate something similar to the mobile app. If not I'm quite happy to use website on mobile.
    (edited)
    Admast79
    I just checked app reviews on Google Play... People "love it" :D.

Whoever decide to go with this change... should be looking for new job I think
    daz1969
     If it ain't broke, don't fix it
    gacameron01
    It's awful. Did you know what you were actually trying to improve? This is like digg V2. Finding categories sucks.
    I can't highlight codes and copy them to use in a deal.
    It took a stupid amount of scrolling to get to the end of this thread.
    drlmiles
    There is sufficient evidence on here & in the Google Play store to clearly see that the new Android app is hated almost universally. For this sort of site, appearance is NOT the most important aspect of functionality, but rather usability. Imposing a design ethic from other apps without assessing in detail the functionalilty required by, and usage requirements of users is a recipe for disaster. The person or persons making these drastic changes needs to own up that they have made a big mistake - not just come back to us and say "this is the way forward, we just need to make a few tweaks here and there, which we are thinking of releasing to you in several months time". Server migration may well require changes to the programme, but did NOT necessitate a complete design change to how the site works for the end user.
    Key criticisms that have NOT been adequately addressed by the developers are that, in general, as much information as possible needs putting on the screen, particularly if you are using a tablet. Having 4 deals on screen at a time makes using this app a lot of work, and if you only have a short amount of time to check deals, you will miss Deal 5 or 8 or 10 that is on the page below. End result = less deals clicked through for HDUK, and a dramatic drop in income. If you don't care about us users and their feedback (I see little evidence that the main concerns raised by large numbers are users are being taken seriously with a commitment to come up with solutions in a tight timescale), at least look at your lost income.
    To add insult to injury, having downgraded to a old version, in that I have lost all my old saved keywords for notifications, and there is no way to add them back - I have therefore had to return to this awful new version. Back in that, I am getting only one notification for the most recent new deal, and no notifications for any other deals - i.e. say that in the last 6 hours there have been 6 new deals posted for my keywords - I get one Android notification for the last deal posted, and none of the others appear in my notification list. So what I don't know about, I can't take advantage of, so I don't click through for the deal as I am unaware of it = LOST INCOME FOR HDUK. Please tell the powers that be that they are about to lose LOTS of money, then perhaps they'll pressurise and prioritise the development team to sort this out (and look at very poor development processes that have created this mess in the first place).
    And, I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but the person who came up with this disaster needs an urgent full and frank appraisal of their performance - if they are to keep their job. (edited)
    xZEDx
    At first I was angry but now its perfect!

All it was , was just to get use to the new layout now after a few weeks its perfect...

Keep up the good work
    pwel
    I'm dyslexic, and the new layout doesn't make any sense to me, everything looks all over the place...I get headache after 5 minutes using it...
    mattlabs Author
    The issue regarding disappearing threads should be fixed now. If you see it again, please add the link to deal or discussion as a comment. Sorry about the inconvenience!
's avatar