Posted 13 hours ago

Simple PAYG sim

Hello.

Have an 'emergency mobile'.

I want to go old-school and just get a Sim, put a fiver on it and for it to sit there if I ever need to call or send a text.

I've been a bit bamboozled by Vodafone's various offerings. Does a simple PAYG tariff no longer exist? I absolutely don't want a sim-only where I pay £10 a month. The closest I can find is Vodafone's 'PAYG1' but it looks like you top it up, then pay a flat fee of £1 every day that you use the phone, which doesn't seem very cost-effective for me (I.e. if I want to send a single text to say "I'm here, safe" I want to spend 10p not £1!

If Vodafone don't offer this, do you know if any other carrier does?

Thanks
Community Updates
New Comment
Discussions

9 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    The o2 Classic sim is the closest to that, if you can find one on eBay or Amazon. All PAYG sims require occasional use though, even if it's just sending a 2p text every 6 months. I've had mine for around 5 years and spent about 20p.

Steer well clear of Vodafone and Three for that occasional/emergency use case. (edited)
    Author
    Update - appears Asda offer a no monthly fee sim with a minimum top up of £5. Seems to tick all the right boxes.
    You probably want 1pmobile or RWG.
    1pmobile let you do £30/year (or £36/year with a bundle)
    RWG also do £30/year, but they also have £40/year - but customer service is a bit more hit and miss
    Most others require topping up every 6 months, Three might be cheapest for that.