Posted 12 October 2020

Anyone else hate the stupid RGB fad with PCs?

/discuss

Surely I can't be the only one who hates excessive lightshows?
Community Updates
New Comment

Categories

21 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Why would you hate them? If you don’t like RGB components then either don’t buy them or enclose them so you can’t see them.
    You won't like mine

42190542-yB6Xx.jpg
    I dislike it personally, the best word I have for it is tacky. I know loads like it though, each to their own (edited)
    I spend hours looking at my PC.

Well worth paying extra to have it lit up like a xmas tree.

All my other high end electronics look like Blackpool illuminations too. Well classy.

Some might say it's so you can charge mugs 50% more for the same item with 20p worth of leds on it. But not me. Honest. (edited)
    No you're not alone, all my stuff has no lights. My preference is silent and invisible, so my components are bought to match.

What does irritate me is when they slap the word 'gaming' on midrange kit. I needed a motherboard for a work based PC (so claiming it back as an expense), the motherboards I was looking at in my budget were all labelled with 'gaming' in some form or another. So as a consequence the claim got held and I had to explain what was going on. It's like unless you go 'small budget' or 'big server' it is assumed you want to play games on the PC.
    deleted234448012/10/2020 19:05

Its not a fad, i built my first PC 20 years ago and it was all the rage …Its not a fad, i built my first PC 20 years ago and it was all the rage then as well. Become more of an artwork now though with the advancement of lighting tech.

Was going to say the same, used to build PCs way back then and cold cathode tubes were all the rage...
    I don't mind a little bit of LED colouring but so much of it now is really garish and over the top. It's so prevalent now it's more difficult to avoid, I saw a good price on ram but because it had RGB LEDs on top my cooler couldn't clear it so had to pay more for non-RGB LED ram. My mouse has an irritating RGB LED cycling logo by default which is pointless since it's hidden my a hand most of the time, it consumes a noticeable chunk of the battery but as I've found in other cases it's not easily removed since you need to install the Logitech software, create a profile to removed the lighting and save it to the mouse.
    slimy3113/10/2020 08:15

No you're not alone, all my stuff has no lights. My preference is silent …No you're not alone, all my stuff has no lights. My preference is silent and invisible, so my components are bought to match.What does irritate me is when they slap the word 'gaming' on midrange kit. I needed a motherboard for a work based PC (so claiming it back as an expense), the motherboards I was looking at in my budget were all labelled with 'gaming' in some form or another. So as a consequence the claim got held and I had to explain what was going on. It's like unless you go 'small budget' or 'big server' it is assumed you want to play games on the PC.

Yeah, it's just a marketing term though it usually denotes lower quality on certain things like chairs.
    slimy3113/10/2020 08:48

LOL, yeah I'd not thought about 'gaming' chairs, you're right there!! I'd …LOL, yeah I'd not thought about 'gaming' chairs, you're right there!! I'd hope the term doesn't mean lower quality on motherboards, just lower spec maybe? For example the motherboard I have doesn't support dual graphics cards or a particularly fast CPU.

Nah I think you're fine when it comes to components. Was mainly thinking of furniture and maybe certain peripherals.
    Absolutely stupid. I look at screen not the box..

what makes me lol is when you see a £300 pc called gaming and full of lights and people buy them. The lights look pretty..
    PC setups have become a showcase now. They used to be hidden under desks. Saying that, I quite like them. Already have RGB on my keyboard and mouse and LED strips on my monitors. I think the light shows work well with the right room. Love to change them around depending what game I am playing. Backlight red for horror etc.
    Its not a fad, i built my first PC 20 years ago and it was all the rage then as well. Become more of an artwork now though with the advancement of lighting tech.
    bally1234512/10/2020 19:30

Was going to say the same, used to build PCs way back then and cold …Was going to say the same, used to build PCs way back then and cold cathode tubes were all the rage...

Yep. My parents used to say the street lights flicked when i turned my PC on as it needed so much power to run lol.
    Yeah it's terrible. I stick to brands like noctua for fans etc. Mmm grey.
    deleted255338713/10/2020 07:13

They are Thermaltake Quads, the dogs nuts when it comes to RGB fans, silent too.
    deleted255338713/10/2020 08:41

Yeah, it's just a marketing term though it usually denotes lower quality …Yeah, it's just a marketing term though it usually denotes lower quality on certain things like chairs.

LOL, yeah I'd not thought about 'gaming' chairs, you're right there!! I'd hope the term doesn't mean lower quality on motherboards, just lower spec maybe? For example the motherboard I have doesn't support dual graphics cards or a particularly fast CPU.
    Azwipe13/10/2020 00:40

You won't like mine [Image]

Does it help you play games?

each to their own, if you enjoy something and are not hurting anyone why not. Personally it looks tacky in my opinion not just your set up but lights in general..
    Nah, as long as it's not impacting my choice of components or negatively impacting prices people can do what they like.
    Author
    Azwipe13/10/2020 00:40

You won't like mine [Image]

42208183.jpg

Actually that is done quite tastefully, honestly though I can't even stand the standby light on a TV, I like a perfectly dark room, every led is covered in electrical tape.

Unfortunately I think 5% of builders actually do a tasteful job, the other 95% watch Linus Tech Tips. (edited)
    deleted255338713/10/2020 07:13

Pfft brown, grey is as bad as RGB
's avatar