Expired

Archos 80 Cobalt owners thread. ****Guide on page 1****

Found 24th Dec 2012
Well if you grabbed on from the Tesco deal then this is the place to chat, ask advice, share tips etc.

UPDATE:

Well this thread has gathered some pace over the last few days with some excellent posts and links.

gx3K will be keeping post 1 upto date with the latest developments so please look here first to see if this answers your questions.

So a big thanks to gx3k for his continued help (VIP Badge coming his way maybe!) and the others giving their time to help the others.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
3173 Comments

Inb4 "tesco staff members purchased all tablets in the UK to sell on eBay"

Damn ya beat me to it!

Hows it looking Gav ?

teh arn

Sounds about right

Will be picking mine up Boxing day (Tesco staff member who has not reserved one, indeed no one in my store has so that they are available to all....Although I will be getting there early!)

Original Poster

teh arn

No please keep the moaning about stock to the deal thread.

Nailez

Damn ya beat me to it!Hows it looking Gav ?

Don't have one, but can help people out. If it looks like there will be development I may well pick one up to help out. Just need to see how locked down it is first.

I'll buy one from someone for £58 delivered?

richardm86

I'll buy one from someone for £58 delivered?

Why not just buy it from tesco?

None nearby I assume, I don't think there are any near me, I'm London... boo hoo sob!

Banned

How many people are getting them??? Is it worth going tesco before it shuts I fancy one of these for Daughter

Original Poster

churchill

How many people are getting them??? Is it worth going tesco before it … How many people are getting them??? Is it worth going tesco before it shuts I fancy one of these for Daughter

Is you daughter worth £49! (_;)

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD

Is you daughter worth £49! (_;)

No but they dont know she's not

come on guys, spill the beans for us all that we'll go in the morning on boxing day. Is it worth it? How is the screen?

The one I bought is for my Father and will be setting it up for him tomorrow. I got him the Versus Touchpad originally so still have that sitting here as well and will be taking it back as long as the Archos is all fine.

Banned

Im going tesco in 10 minutes just waiting for my driver to pick me up to go get one and if they wont serve me this thread is getting it when I get back

"Charbax 1 week ago
Archos 80 Cobalt has HDMI and Bluetooth for $149. The skew I filmed here (one which Archos makes for some third party brands, like certain supermarkets etc) may not have HDMI and Bluetooth because the brand wanted to save $5 or whatever on the BOM cost, but Archos includes HDMI and Bluetooth in their Cobalt line."

Original Poster

churchill

Im going tesco in 10 minutes just waiting for my driver to pick me up to … Im going tesco in 10 minutes just waiting for my driver to pick me up to go get one and if they wont serve me this thread is getting it when I get back

They not closed now?

Churchy grab a beer and chillout.

:)) I was about to put my coat on as well, but remembered the schedule...Would be crazy for those employees to work 24 hours on Chr eve

Banned

GAVINLEWISHUKD

They not closed now?Churchy grab a beer and chillout.

They close at 11 Im very chilled Churchy dont need a drink

However if they say no then you Mr McGavin are in for it

Ashan85

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRm5G3vLW4A

Quite possibly the worst tablet review ever, the guy is at best vague and at worst completely clueless. Why review a product if you're just going to waffle on aimlessly?

NUMBER8GAMESTER

Quite possibly the worst tablet review ever, the guy is at best vague and … Quite possibly the worst tablet review ever, the guy is at best vague and at worst completely clueless. Why review a product if you're just going to waffle on aimlessly?

not a review Imo, just a quick preview.

You can at least see the tablet clearly in this silent video and the spec is in the video info. youtu.be/9ED…GsY

Ashan85

not a review Imo, just a quick preview.

In fairness there isn't much in the way of video reviews for this product anywhere! Maybe somebody from the HUKD community could be so helpful as to give it the once over and stick it on YouTube? Am sure the video review would get a lot of hits given the lack of video reviews available for the device.

Banned

I hate the world

When I checked the store opening times, I looked at Marton Express and and not the Extra Store

churchill

I hate the world :(When I checked the store opening times, I looked at … I hate the world :(When I checked the store opening times, I looked at Marton Express and and not the Extra Store

was thinking about that it seems all the extra's had the same schedule nationally

Banned

Ashan85

was thinking about that it seems all the extra's had the same schedule … was thinking about that it seems all the extra's had the same schedule nationally

You could have said

I tried both of my closest extras (only about 4 miles from eachother), one had no sign of them anywhere and the other had the display boxes out and priced up but had a sign saying unavailable til Boxing day. The only other one I could have tried was 10 miles from my house in the opposite direction I'd gone to the other stores. So I didn't bother lol.

I had a friend buy me one in Sunbury and it's currently wrapped under the tree. Can't wait until tomorrow to unbox it
Seems like there is no accessories and developer support for it yet but I'm sure there will be lots after boxing day.
I ordered a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 screen protector from eBay to use for it (just cut off bits to fit). Any suggestions for case?

I've bought 3 of these for relatives. One of them had dead pixels so got it replaced. Have to admit I'm amazed at the performance and build for the money. Runs Iplayer without a hic... my folks will use it for Video, Email and Browsing and it will eat that up without a problem. Play store is there so what more do you need. I own a Nexus and if I didn't I'd have got an extra one for myself. Can't comment on skype or HDMI out which seem to be the issues raised so far... but for £49 it's a cheap kindle!

metalheadkicks2 weeks, 23 hours ago3 Likes #129REPLYREPORTLIKEIGNORE
Hello All

I have been following this thread since the beginning. A few months ago I bought Archos Home connect 35 and have been in love with it ever since - not good user interface however does the job very well of being a bedside clock/alarm and occasional music player. The preloaded apps from Archos (or any manufacturer) are annoying.

Two weeks ago I bought Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 from Tesco following the deals on HUKD. This is a brilliant tablet however I was expecting higher performance than a Samung Galaxy S2 (been using for over a year) but I was disappointed. Its good but Galaxy S2 beats it on performance and obviously screen quality but still love the Tab 2 as it is beautiful and does the job well.

Today after searching several tescos, I finally managed to get my hands on the Archos Cobalt. Nobody at Tesco believe in this units existence and its only when I should them the product serial no., are they able to fetch it from the "back"

Archos 80 Cobalt 8" Review:

After opening the box, I was quite happy with the quality of the device and the rubbery matte black back. After switching it on for the first time, I was surprised when I was given the option to choose to install the bundled 3rd party apps over the standard ICS OS. I obviously clicked no and was instantly thrown onto the main screen of ICS. So what I have is a tablet with absolutely no customizations to the Original Android operating system - How cool is that?
I checked the manuals, info within OS and couldnt find the specs of the unit. Well, I openned youtube/Dailymotion/Putlocker and could play HD videos flawlessly no lags at all. The battery was reporting 100% as I switched it on so haven't go the chance to charge it yet and its been over 9 hours (not in constant use, I would guess over 4 hours) now the battery is stuck on 13% for more than 40mins of use. I think it needs a few cycles of discharging before it will start reporting actual hours.
The first time I saw the main ICS screen, I was disappointed by the quality of the screen - its pixellated, the best way to describe is, the dpi level is low and thus we can see pixels - which I was never able to see in Galaxy tab2 or S2. I thought it was becasue of bigger screen but still an inch won't make much difference. When you scroll text font, the refresh rate is not very smooth. Basically its a cheapo LCD screen and comes nowhere close to the likes of any Galaxy's or Nexus.

Performance:
I have downloaded all CPU/GPU testing programs available in Google Play. I was surprised to find out the resolution of the screen was 768x964 - this I have tested with 2 apps (I think one is atoto? other is GPU-T). But it actually has 1.62GHz dual core processor and Mali-400MP GPU which is very good - I loved my Galaxy S2.
Anyways Antoto put this tablet just above Galaxy S2 in GPU performance and the CPU performance was reported very good too. It packs a lot of power under the hood. I can guarantee that the performance of this tablet is much better than Galay Tab2. In Tab2 when you are downloading apps in Google PLay and at the same time try to scroll more apps in the list, it stutters for a sec or two, which never happened with my Galaxy S2 or this tablet. I tried GPU crash test, OpenGL test it was giving more than 60fps.

To put it in few words, this is a very good quality high performance tablet with an un-customised Google ICS OS with a cheapo LCD screen (no issues with multi touch) for under £99. Well worth every penny.
I really wanted to see its
Pros:
Value for money
from here

datasheet here

richardm86

I checked both my tesco extra stores today and they don't have that model … I checked both my tesco extra stores today and they don't have that model of tablet at all. I'm gutted.

Because it starts boxing day.
One of my extras had them out but not for sale, the other hadn't put them out yet.

Does Sky Go work on these?

Callunax

Well, I'm happy with mine. The screen is clear and crisp, colours are … Well, I'm happy with mine. The screen is clear and crisp, colours are vibrant, screen is responsive, processor is quick. No stuck pixels, no video/audio lag. Should qualify this statement by saying this is my first tablet, so I'm not comparing it to an iPad/other. For the price, I would say it's an absolute steal!Red apple: Had a look... looks okay to me. No discolouration/distortion 'til I tilt the screen, though it does distort (become pixellated) very quickly. Was worried because the clouds in that Big Buck Bunny video looked pink and pixellated but the grass was green and sharp. Other videos are fine so I think it's more to do with the quality of the video. I did get that flickering on a very white screen but I cannot now replicate it. It might be something to do with it being daylight now though. Didn't notice flickering at any other time.Case pressure/screen distortion: There is a sensitive spot at the opposite end to the camera, but it does require deliberate effort which produces 'fingerprints' on the screen. I don't get any lines and am not about to press any harder to see if I do. There is no screen distortion at all from normal holding pressure.Books: Text on Play Books is sharp and crystal clear. Very good, I would say.Videos: It is playing anything I throw at it and playing it well; downloaded VLC player which is just the player I normally use. Don't even have brightness maxed out.Audio: As you would expect. Laptop standard; more than adequate for me. Will probably require headphones outside.Internet: Is quick and responsive; no problems to report. Wifi signal is strong.Viewing angle: Is a bit limited but this is my first tablet so have nothing to compare it with. Perfectly adequate though for my needs - internet, videos, ebooks. Actually, now as I doublecheck it, the viewing angle seems pretty good. Maybe again, daylight hiding the detail (or lack thereof). I can say that altering your viewing angle can cause pixellation, so maybe that's a part of what people are reporting?Battery life: Been playing about now for 4 hours, off and on. Battery still @ 49%.Definitely happy with mine. Only quibble would be lack of HDMI. Though, as posted earlier, it mounts just like a USB stick if your TV has a USB port.Would be interested to hear what the HDMI 'fix' is? Soldering the board? USB-HDMI? Would love to know...?

Somebody who got one yesterday posted a little review in the deal thread.

Somebody else (jukie) who also got one yesterday posted a Youtube video they made of the tablet playing video. youtu.be/dxF…TVw

MAIN GUIDE DELETED DUE TO UNKNOWN REASONS. Please click here for a copy (post 1997), don't forget to like it so it will appear on the 1st page for easy viewing.

Recommended apps:

* Screen Adjuster - add green/blue +5 and it fixes the colours, you can also lower brightness even further for night reading (free)
* TV Catchup- watch live TV via wifi (free)
* TV Guide UK - its a tv guide app for UK (derp - free)
* Go Launcher HD - change the UI with lots of personalisations available (free)
* HD widgets - widgets for weather, time/date, etc.
* Camera Zoom Fx - more camera settings plus photo editor but still crap lens
* Airdroid - transferring files wirelessly via wifi
* Quickpic - better gallery app (free)
* Volume+- fix low volume/base/echo
* Bling Bling LED - use your tablet as a sign (free)
* MX Player - play almost any video format with lots of options (free)
* Distro - free technology magazine
* Kingsoft Office- open/edit/create word, excel, powerpoint. pdf files (free)
* Printer Share - directly print photos and office files via wifi
* ES File explorer- more options than the regular explorer and can open ZIP and RAR files
* Blackmart - get missing apps not available from Play store
* Tune in Radio - listen to loads of radio channels via wifi (Alternative: XiiaLive)
* Easy Uninstaller- sort (ascending / descending) by name, size, date for easy uninstallation of apps
* Rebooter - You cat reboot easily & quickly. You can use Kill apps or Hot boot instead of task killers.
* News - BBC news app (free), Flipboard (free)
* Games - Muffin Knight, World of Goo, Beat Hazard Ultra, Jetpack Joyride
* Others - Sonos controller app, TV remote app, Reddit is fun, IGag

Known issues:

This is a list of problems encountered by most users of this tablet. NOTE: not everybody has all of these problems and you may want to use this list to check your tablet for testing purposes. Most software issues are solvable with updates and fixes, but since this is a new product, bugs like these will take a bit of time to be ironed out. Hardware problems are not fixable and you may want to get a replacement or a different tablet. If you cannot live with these faults, find another £49 tablet that will suit your needs. Good luck!

* Youtube loading after 1 minute - see solution above (software problem)
* BBC iPlayer out of sync when skipping forward/backward - see solution above (software problem)
* Battery stays at 99% - charge the battery overnight or use battery calibration app (needs rooting)
* Incompatible apps - you may download the apps from the web by searching the APK or through Blackmart
* Apps not working - SkyGo, Skype (just use earphones to hear the other person), ITV player
* Discoloration and artifacts - see solution above
* Wifi turns off by itself - see solution above
* Can't delete icons/widgets - see solution above
* Speakers too soft - see solution above
* Ripples on LCD screen - this appears when parts of the tablet gets pressure (hardware problem)
* Dead pixels - you may use Dead pixel detect and fix app or get a replacement (hardware problem)
* Turns off often even if battery is full - try plugging the power cable/ resetting the tablet/ force rebooting (holding the power button for 10 seconds)/ may need replacement (hardware problem)

Also for those asking:

* NO HDMI port
* NO bluetooth
* NO GPS
* NO Simcard slot
* Supports cards up to 64GB (micro SDHC/SDXC)
* Wifi tethering works - use a smartphone as hotspot to connect to wifi
* USB OTG works - it's an adapter than turns your micro USB port into a full USB port like this one

Hi guys, here are some photos I took today. I have not played with it a lot but I will post more info when I do.
I compared it with my Nexus 7 and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.

[img]i.imgur.com/Au2…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/fXS…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/sFY…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/sru…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/95s…jpg?1[/img]

Please like this comment so it would stay on the 1st page and everyone can find it easily. Thanks

Edited by: "gx3k" 12th Jan 2013

I got the flash working by downloading and installing an APK file from here.

USB OTG works fine. Camera is crap (off colours, low resolution, VGA video, little settings) but I don't expect much.
Here are sample shots taken indoors at night. I'm sure on a bright sunny day it will take decent outdoor photos.

[img]i.imgur.com/5oi…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/dvx…jpg?1[/img]

[img]i.imgur.com/CFr…jpg?1[/img]

Set the one up I bought for my Father today and not happy. The top cm of the screen (when looking at it in portrait mode) is dead to any touch response so browsers for example are unusable as can't close tabs or type in the address bar.

Not a problem if you use it in landscape mode however some apps like Skynews and Skysports only display in portrait mode and so can't move along the tabs at the top of the app.

Left it with my Father to see how he gets on but looks like it will have to go back and I bet they won't have any left at the weekend.

Anyone else had any issues with theirs?
Edited by: "Sp0oner" 26th Dec 2012

I'm using it right now to browse the web and don't have that issue.
Must be a faulty item.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants