Posted 15 November 2023

Ebay feedback

What's the point in ebay sending out emails asking buyers (and sellers for all I know) to leave feedback when feedback gets removed and they can't/won't tell you why?
The "chat" didn't seem to be aware of ebay's own rules, and was obviously pushing buttons to give answers including "We may have removed feedback and defects for multiple reason; for example, if there's a natural disaster that we believe caused the feedback or defect."
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Usually, a negative / neutral feedback gets removed when evidence deemed sufficient by eBay is provided by the recipient of that feedback. I have experienced it twice as a seller - in one case, the buyer demonstrated he was an idiot by actually threatening negative feedback for a fake fault, with a message sent through eBay's system. A quick call sorted that out. In another case, a negative feedback was left for non delivery when the Royal Mail website status update showed that the item wasn't picked up by the buyer from the delivery office.

Also, unless warranted (like the scammy buyer whose account was banned, from what I was told), eBay usually doesn't inform the feedback giver why it was removed. (edited)
    Always a reason and you would know better than anyone here as to what it's likely to be
    Author
    A couple of uninformed mini rants, neither addressing the issue. Not a good start.

Maybe you need more info to be objective.

I bought a TV. It arrived minus accessory pack - ie no mains cable, remote, screws to attach feet, manual and other paperwork. I contacted the seller via ebay, and received the following response.

"Thank you for contacting us about the issue, I apologise for the issues with your TV
    We recommend contacting the manufacturer directly, their product expertise will provide you with the quickest resolution.
    On the call they will provide troubleshooting which is effective the majority of the time. If not, no need to worry they will send one of their engineers to help you.
    They will require the serial number when you call, so please ensure you have this to hand.
    You can contact them by phone on: 0333 800 2200, or via their online system: Website: service@hisense.co.uk
    I apologise for any inconvenience caused"

Clearly, not a clue about consumer legislation, and no intention, as it transpired, of complying with said legislation. I won't bore you with the details of the lengthy email exchanges - they went off ebay - so I'll cut to the feedback.

I made it clear that the missing parts weren't the sellers fault, but they were his responsibility, and he wasn't accepting that. What's wrong with that?

In their feedback section, ebay states "If a seller would like you to revise your Feedback, we'll send you an email with all the details". Clearly ebay aren't aware of/don't comply with their own rules.

So I'm stumped.
    Was the TV brand new? Did the listing say what was included?
    Author
    Yes. Brand new from a big seller.
    I know two people who gave factual negative feedback (I wrote it for them) and ebay removed both of them.. I don't trust feedback whatsoever but I trust ebay to sort issues if I buy a problematic item.
    Author
    Not a fan of feedback either, but gave in to ebay badgering. I won't bother in future. Sellers don't seem to bother much either.
    Did ebay comply with their own "If a seller would like you to revise your Feedback, we'll send you an email with all the details" with the feedback you wrote?
    I left a glowing review (fully justified) for one purchase, and a negative review (again, fully justified) for the TV at the same time.
    The glowing feedback stayed. The negative feedback vanished. Ironically, the feedback character limit restricted how many of the sellers transgressions could be included.
    On a positive note ebay were extremely helpful and supportive with the return.
's avatar